Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by sclark View Post
    2023 Ranger Z519 - No Haggle No Hassle National Price is $63,995.00
    2024 Vexus AVX2080 - MAP Price is 56,705

must be the new math, that make 56705 more than 63995.
    The map price for the Vexus is just boat motor and trailer. Nothing else! The Ranger has electronic and TM. The Vexus With electronics and TM is in the mid 60 k range or more. I just built the 2080 with comparable electronics and TM. $63,962.

I priced a New 1880 since I was one of the lucky owners of a cracked hull. The new 1880 was only a few K cheaper than a New Phoenix 818with a 175. Guess what boat I own now.
    Last edited by ifishinxs; 03-06-2024 at 04:56 PM.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

2. Member
    when we get up into 64 or 57k, I don't think price matters. these are expensive luxury items that we buy because they provide joy. I was ready to buy Alum for the durability when I sent a PM to a member here in this thread on stability when TM down in wind. the answer I got was if you want max stability and not get blown around, stay with glass. I did a complete 360.

Had my need been lower wind and stumps all over the place, I think a nice Alum rig smokes glass.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

3. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by davidsa View Post
    when we get up into 64 or 57k, I don't think price matters. these are expensive luxury items that we buy because they provide joy. I was ready to buy Alum for the durability when I sent a PM to a member here in this thread on stability when TM down in wind. the answer I got was if you want max stability and not get blown around, stay with glass. I did a complete 360.

Had my need been lower wind and stumps all over the place, I think a nice Alum rig smokes glass.
    Depends on the glass boat. A friend of mine will quickly tell you his Champion 196 gets blown around worse than any aluminum boat he's been in and that's because of the deadrise that makes a Champion ride so good. It's like a big sail in the water and spins around like a top. Hell my Tracker 175txw had a lot of deadrise and didn't get blown around as bad as that Champion. I'm sure most will tell me I'm full of shit and they're entitled to their opinion just like I'm entitled to giving first-hand experience with boats I've spent a lot of time in over the years. I personally prefer aluminum for the durability and less chance of giving a damn if it gets a scratch on it. This is why I went with an Xpress when I could have gotten one of the glass hulls that come with a 115 (budget constraints) for close to the same price. And being carport kept and not garage kept played a big part in my decision too.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    A few years ago an aluminum boat was the way to go if you are on a budget since they were considerably cheaper than a fiberglass. Now I am seeing 3-5 year old 18-19' aluminum boats going for anywhere from 25K to 35K or even more. Does it really make since to get one anymore when you can find plenty of nice used fiberglass boats in that price range?
    everything has gone up in price. If you are fishing bigger water those aluminum bass boats will brake apart like a fart in the wind. Up here in north country big smallies live in big bodies of water. A 18,19, even 20 ft tin boat will fall apart. If I were fish smaller inland lakes I would look at a 18-19 ft tin with 150/200hp but not for the fishing i do. What I put my bass cat cougar through will fold those tinners like a bud light can and my model is not even known as a "big water boat" You can ask them, months waisted with warranty claims on blown out welds. No welds blowing out on my cat.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass_boat_boy View Post
    everything has gone up in price. If you are fishing bigger water those aluminum bass boats will brake apart like a fart in the wind. Up here in north country big smallies live in big bodies of water. A 18,19, even 20 ft tin boat will fall apart. If I were fish smaller inland lakes I would look at a 18-19 ft tin with 150/200hp but not for the fishing i do. What I put my bass cat cougar through will fold those tinners like a bud light can and my model is not even known as a "big water boat" You can ask them, months waisted with warranty claims on blown out welds. No welds blowing out on my cat.
    That's been my experience with friends running aluminum here as well, and its not even particularly big water. They just ride too rough and break welds in rough water. The smaller ones with smaller motors hold up better, and the deep V ones are fine, just the bigger bass style ones.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

6. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    That's been my experience with friends running aluminum here as well, and its not even particularly big water. They just ride too rough and break welds in rough water. The smaller ones with smaller motors hold up better, and the deep V ones are fine, just the bigger bass style ones.
    I'm convinced that anything over a 115hp you should get glass. Then again, you can't hardly find a glass boat with a 115 and when you do it's a hull that they probably offer in a different model number with a 150 or 175. I baby my boats in rough water and I had my old Tracker in some really bad stuff. The welds didn't look like they had been hurt after 7 years of fishing a lake that's notorious for getting rough in the wind tunnel it sits in here in the mountains. Not getting in a hurry when conditions require you to have common sense will greatly extend the life of a welded boat. Really rough water (by inland lake standards) doesn't scare me but I also have enough respect for it to keep me and my boat out of trouble.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wildkat7 View Post
    I had this as well up until last month. Sold my 18ft aluminum due to lack of use. In the near future, I'll have both again.
    Funny I had both also up until the end of 2023 but went the other direction. I had a 21' Skeeter 21Fx - 250SHO and a 17' Lowe 17HP - 90 Optimax 2 stroke. I had to sell one in order to buy a big family bowrider so my wife and I can spend some good time with our kids and grandkids. I decided to keep the tin boat. My logic was that the tin boat was the boat I used more often because it fit in my garage and was always ready to go. I like to fish the river sections below the Dam and the tin boat is just better for that. It is tougher and more nimble. Of course it doesn't handle the main lake as well nor can it cover water like the 21' boat could. However it does pretty good for only 17'. I can cruise at 30 mph on gps with no problem and that isn't terrible, it's not 60 mph like the Skeeter but life is about tradeoffs. The tin boat is much less expensive to insure and operate and to maintain / keep looking good. It fishes good and I can take my son in law and grandson out and we have enough room. The 75 lb 24v trolling motor pushes it around very well. I won't say I won't ever have a glass rig again and I might entertain some day trading my tin boat for a glass boat that would fit in my garage and give me more speed and range. All in all I'm happy with my tin boat and if it is my last bass boat I will consider my self blessed.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidsa View Post
    This, I am a TM down fishing guy.

I just concluded that over the last 10 years, over 90% of my time on the water was TM down, motor off. I don't spend much time running the big motor.
    Me too.

The first thing I do when I test drive a boat is put the trolling motor down and see how well it tracks and if their is any weird drifting of the hull (wind sensitivity).

I also have a tendency to try and upgrade trolling motors every four to five years.

9. Member
    I fished from a 17ft monarch aluminum rig with a 50hp merc for years. I slowly added all the electronics for bass tourneys. Won my first tourney out of that rig. Made 2500 that day. Went to a bigger lake and the wife demanded we get a bigger boat because the waves scared her when they crossed the bow on rough days. Bought a champion 203. Now I do love my champion but I gotta admit that I miss my aluminum rig ALOT!! It was easy to unload at the ramp and was nimble to get into tight places. I had no fears about bumping a tree. With my champ I'm constantly worried about hitting something or scratching it in the dock. Seems like im always stressed when I take out the champion. If I had unlimited budget I would get an express or maybe the ranger rigs with 115s. Hard to beat a good solid aluminum rig. But I will say that that opinion is based solely on my location. Santee is about the biggest lake I go to.

10. Member
    the boat motor an trailer is higher now than before covid the accessories that the folks think they have to have on them is what runs the price up. there are more boats used an new out there on the market that have been on the market for a long time. the new boat builders are pulling back production so they dont get caught with more product than they have buyers for.

11. Member
    ncshooter, I still fish out of a 1994 17 foot Monark aluminum Pro Bass 170 with a 60 HP Mercury/Mariner. I've customized it over the years to be just what I need and I love it.

12. Member
    I personally would never buy a used Aluminum boat. Keep in mind, them boys that buy aluminum normally ride the piss out of them boats. Now they try to turn around and sell them with god knows what all that boat has been through. It has most likely loosened the rivets or welds to the point where if you buy it who knows what could happen. Always buy a new aluminum rig for your safety and sanity.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by josephsharpe99 View Post
    I personally would never buy a used Aluminum boat. Keep in mind, them boys that buy aluminum normally ride the piss out of them boats. Now they try to turn around and sell them with god knows what all that boat has been through. It has most likely loosened the rivets or welds to the point where if you buy it who knows what could happen. Always buy a new aluminum rig for your safety and sanity.
    I have bought 3 used aluminum boats and never had an issue like that.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by josephsharpe99 View Post
    I respectively disagree! I purchased my 17' aluminum used and I've had it since 2013 and it has given me no problems. I did buy it from a reputable dealer so maybe if a person were buying from an individual more caution would be advised. I think the debate over can a welded hull hold up in rough conditions boils down to the operator being reasonable. I'm on Chickamauga on the weekends some and the Chick can get rowdy. I just take my time and don't get crazy and my boat has held up really well. I get compliments all the time and it is a 2011 model. I take care of my stuff so that's important. The best quality item will look like junk if it isn't taken care of and any boat can be destroyed by an operator who is reckless in rough water in my opinion.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123