Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    I fish a lot of places .... a WHOLE LOT OF PLACES ....in Florida where a big glass boat cannot float to get to the fish. The mod V hull like the Ranger RT has can float places down here in Florida that a glass boat with their hull design cannot float. And there is very very good fishing back there in the pads and 12 or so inches of water.

I have had both styles of boats and fished the exact same lakes with both. The mod v aluminum opens up a whole area to fish that my glass boats could not reach.

If I lived further north and fished the big reservoirs, I might reconsider.

Down here, I fish a lot of smaller, out of the way lakes with ramps that are not very good. It is easier to get the aluminum in and out of the water.

The front decks in aluminum are so much better than they were a few years ago. And the cost of aluminum is still better. The Ultrex also improved the fishability of the aluminum hull.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

2. Member
    A good aluminum welding shop that knows boats can have you fixed up in a couple of days..WELDING. And do it at a FRACTION of the cost that a glass repair would be.

There is a thread in the tin boat section about a guy that had a tree fall on his Ranger RT aluminum boat and crunched it up badly. Insurance paid him. He sold the damage hull to a neighbor that could do metal work
    That aluminum RT is back on the water. You can fix aluminum.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

3. Member
    The words boat and economical don't really go together.

That being said aluminium boats are pretty nice these days and offer a less expensive way to get on the water. By time I paid taxes and the longest Merc extended warranty my 2017 RT188 (bought in 2016) was right at 30,000.00. Every major brand 18' glass boat was over 40K at that time with like electronics installed. I priced a new Sabre FTD/175 Marc the other day and it listed at 52K.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    The words boat and economical don't really go together.
    I'd vote for you for speaker of the house!
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

5. Member
    there is always a choice you dont have to buy one if its out of your price range.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    new 20 foot vexus is more than my new 519c which is basically 20 foot
    And the Vexus is basically 21 foot

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasD View Post
    And the Vexus is basically 21 foot
    20.2 is rounded up to 21 now??
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

8. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    new 20 foot vexus is more than my new 519c which is basically 20 foot
    2023 Ranger Z519 - No Haggle No Hassle National Price is $63,995.00
    2024 Vexus AVX2080 - MAP Price is 56,705

must be the new math, that make 56705 more than 63995.

"Success is never owned, it is rented, and the rent is due every day."

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sclark View Post
    2023 Ranger Z519 - No Haggle No Hassle National Price is $63,995.00
    2024 Vexus AVX2080 - MAP Price is 56,705

must be the new math, that make 56705 more than 63995.
    I’m talking real world not Map pricing I know what I paid for my ranger and when I build one of your boats 2080 in a current year it works out to over $81,000 with the same options- Ranger 225hp also
    that being said, I really like all the vexus boats I just think the aluminums are way over price compared to other options out there and if I had the money I would definitely have a 20 foot vexus glass in my garage but my local dealer always wants Map pricing plus for everything so it’ll never happen
    Last edited by mactlman; 10-26-2023 at 09:51 AM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    MAGA

10. Member
    Pricing on aluminum boats is pretty well the same now as glass, foot for foot, and comparably powered and optioned out. I just went from a 19 foot glass boat, to a new aluminum. A new 19 foot aluminum is pretty well the same price as a new 19 foot glass, same model that I had. The OP used the term “an economical choice”. If one is looking for savings, it will only be in fuel economy, both towing and operating, as the aluminum boat will usually be lighter. In other words, operating costs will be less, but the initial cost of the boat is almost the same.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

11. Member
    I’m talking real world not Map pricing I know what I paid for my ranger and when I build one of your boats 2080 in a current year it works out to over $81,000 with the same options- Ranger 225hp also
    that being said, I really like all the vexus boats I just think the aluminums are way over price compared to other options out there and if I had the money I would definitely have a 20 foot vexus glass in my garage but my local dealer always wants Map pricing plus for everything so it’ll never happen
    Per franchise agreements they can’t sell below MAP pricing. They can however toss in accessories that didn’t come on the boat already for a discount.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasD View Post
    Per franchise agreements they can’t sell below MAP pricing. They can however toss in accessories that didn’t come on the boat already for a discount.
    not true, can sell for whatever just cannot advertise it
    m minimum
    a advertised
    p pricing
    MAGA

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    Pros and con's to both. I'm guessing the ride difference is significant enough that I'd lean towards the sabre out of those two
    I have a rt 188 it’s got more room than a Sabre

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFlyer View Post
    I fish a lot of places .... a WHOLE LOT OF PLACES ....in Florida where a big glass boat cannot float to get to the fish. The mod V hull like the Ranger RT has can float places down here in Florida that a glass boat with their hull design cannot float. And there is very very good fishing back there in the pads and 12 or so inches of water.

I have had both styles of boats and fished the exact same lakes with both. The mod v aluminum opens up a whole area to fish that my glass boats could not reach.

If I lived further north and fished the big reservoirs, I might reconsider.

Down here, I fish a lot of smaller, out of the way lakes with ramps that are not very good. It is easier to get the aluminum in and out of the water.

The front decks in aluminum are so much better than they were a few years ago. And the cost of aluminum is still better. The Ultrex also improved the fishability of the aluminum hull.
    This is a great use case for Alum boat. I've got a few spots that I can't or won't try and reach even in a 18ft glass boat down in south florida. We have one canal we launch out of that I'm not sure I could even get a 21ft boat straight nor the trailer far enough in the water to load.

I think the real answer is two boats but when we can only store or justify 1, I think we have to go with what meets our needs most of the time and live with sub-optimal at times.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

15. Member
    To revisit this topic, no buying a bigger aluminum wasn't a more economical choice for me. I picked up a 2012 Triton 19XS with a 2017 225hp motor on it for less than what most used aluminum boats with 150hp or bigger motors I looked at were. It already had power poles and an Ultrex on it as well.

16. Member
    Depends on your style of fishing. Back in the day when I was doing a lot of tourney fishing I had my big Rangers and I also had an aluminum jet rig. I backed out of fishing for a few years while building my home and putting the kids through college. When I decided to start casting again, I didn’t want to own, maintain or pay property taxes on two boats. So I compromised and bought a big roomy aluminum with a jet. I’m satisfied, but to each their own. Note, I bought my new jet rig for less money in 2019 for less money than I sold my 2007 Ranger Z21 in 2012.
    2018 Ranger RT188 Custom Jet
    150/105 Evinrude ETEC Jet

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerman942 View Post
    Depends on your style of fishing. Back in the day when I was doing a lot of tourney fishing I had my big Rangers and I also had an aluminum jet rig. I backed out of fishing for a few years while building my home and putting the kids through college. When I decided to start casting again, I didn’t want to own, maintain or pay property taxes on two boats. So I compromised and bought a big roomy aluminum with a jet. I’m satisfied, but to each their own. Note, I bought my new jet rig for less money in 2019 for less money than I sold my 2007 Ranger Z21 in 2012.
    You pay property taxes on boats? That sucks.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    I’d say it’s more about where and how you fish. Aluminum can take a lot of abuse.
    depends on the type of abuse...rocks and wood aluminum, big water wave beating glass

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    You pay property taxes on boats? That sucks.
    Yes, year after year after year……cars, trucks, boats, tractors….all toys!
    2018 Ranger RT188 Custom Jet
    150/105 Evinrude ETEC Jet

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerman942 View Post
    Yes, year after year after year……cars, trucks, boats, tractors….all toys!
    I know where I don't want to move to then.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast