Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Grill grates cleaning

What’s best way clean grates have open grates and another propane grill has small holes in grates. I was thinking cleaning with pressure washer.

21 XD 225 Merc

2. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    car wash

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

This is what I use. Works great and it's safe.

4. Member
    x2

5. Member
    Just don't use a brass or any wire brush.

I get my Eggs up to 700 degrees. Works for me
    2022 Basscat Jaquar
    Mercury 300 Pro Xs

7. Member
    I pressure wash mine on my weber grill

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

8. Member
    I have used a propane torch and crumpled foil on cast iron grates that worked well.

9. Member
    Max heat. Burn it off and kill it. Haven’t cleaned my grates since BIL swallowed SS bristle from his grill. Poked holes in his intestines and wore a bag for couple of months

10. Member
    These also work well, good project for wood workers as can be custom fit for the size grate. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=wooden+gr...l_2nfmqwsk8j_e

11. Member
    Thanks for sharing and I will try that!
    Quote Originally Posted by wareagle24 View Post
    This is what I use. Works great and it's safe.

12. Member
    Put them in the oven on self clean

Quote Originally Posted by barbarian View Post
    Max heat. Burn it off and kill it. Haven’t cleaned my grates since BIL swallowed SS bristle from his grill. Poked holes in his intestines and wore a bag for couple of months
    Damn near happened to me. Luckily, the wire got stuck in the back of my throat as I tried to swallow the piece of hot dog it was lodged in and I managed to hack it up.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

14. Member
    Give your grill grates a good coat of oil before cooking, makes it a lot easier to clean up afterwards.

After cooking crank the heat up for a bit then I use one of these on it.
    Grill Brush w/ Scraper | The best grill brush | Rescue (grillrescue.com)

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mean_dean View Post
    After cooking crank the heat up for a bit then I use one of these on it.
    Grill Brush w/ Scraper | The best grill brush | Rescue (grillrescue.com)
    50 bucks for a piece of plastic and a sponge wrapped in a chamois? Also who grills in a bikini?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LateralLine View Post
    50 bucks for a piece of plastic and a sponge wrapped in a chamois? Also who grills in a bikini?
    It's a man thong!

Got the brush on sale for $30, actually works really well, soak it in water while cooking and it steam cleans.

17. Member
    Ewwww.....I forgot about that, just cleaned my grill with a wire brush and used it. I better get my duck in a row and heat mine up, use some foil to scrub it down.

18. Member
    Actually every couple of months I’ll turn my spatula upside down and scrape the top and sides of each individual line on my grill

19. Member
    I bit into a wire bristle once. Thankfully for me it was a thick wire and felt it easily and biting into it was all I did.

20. Member
    Cover the grates with foil and run it on high until the grates look flaky or whitish. Then turn the grill off and let it cool. Grab a sheet of aluminum foil and crumble it into a ball and rub it back and forth on the grates. After this it will need to be seasoned again. Being properly seasoned will keep it cleaner and also make better food since it won’t stick. You can also scrape the walls of the grill underneath the grates with a putty knife. There’s no real need to use an actual cleaner but if you do make sure you burn the grill off before you cook on it again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast