Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What does it mean to have a good day on the water, numbers, size or just being out?

I was driving home from a recent fishing trip where I caught a few nice fish, but not great numbers, and I started thinking, what does it mean to have a good day on the water?? Historically, I have always thought that a great day on the water centers around the number of fish I catch each time I hit the water. Don't get me wrong, I have always LOVED being on the water and find the time I get to spend on the water to be the white noise I need in my life that keeps everything in balance/perspective. I am sure we can all agree on that.

Recently, I find myself getting frustrated when I don't catch numbers, despite the fact that I really enjoy the "hunt" of trying to find fish, but we all love the tug on the end of the line. My stated goal each season is to catch my PB brown and green fish, as well as beat my PB best bag of each fish and mixed bag, but I still find myself getting frustrated / disappointed when I don't catch numbers and it got me thinking, how do other anglers view this topic....

So I thought I would come to BBC to get your thoughts, feedback and perspective on when it comes to a day on the water, what is it that makes a day on the water great for you?

2. #FRB
    My idea of a good day on the water is when I'm able to relax and everything performs as it should. Putting the puzzle together to get a consistent bite is all part of disconnecting from life on land. The days where you can't buy a bite just makes the days where you can't do anything wrong even more rewarding.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

3. Member
    "Many men go fishing all of their
    lives without knowing that it
    is not fish they are after."

Henry David Thoreau

__________________________________________________ ____
    The wife said \"Buy a new boat, you\'ll catch more fish\". Mines broken!

4. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    As I get older just being on the water and enjoying the peace and quiet ,is a good enough reason but catching fish is the prime goal. Sometimes catching numbers is good or maybe just a couple decent ones ,and all in all it's the hunt or trying to figure out what is going on with the current conditions that make it fun.
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HiTorq View Post
    "Many men go fishing all of their
    lives without knowing that it
    is not fish they are after."

Henry David Thoreau

ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!

6. Member
    I've loved being on the water since I was old enough to cast a line but the older I get the less a good day is dictated by the size or number fish I catch. Still love feeling that tug on the line but just being on the water and enjoying the day is what matters most to me.

7. Member
    When I was a kid it was catching, now it's fishing.....

8. Member
    I love catching. I don't like not catching. If I need too, I'll tie on a crappie jig or smaller and go catch bluegill on ultra light.
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

A good day on the water is a day that is relatively stress free and recharges you. That is not the same as a good day fishing, lol. I have had great days fishing that were not good days on the water. It's not a good day on the water if you catch a huge bag but the drunk in the pontoon boat misses you by two feet as he goes racing by.

10. Member
    Good day for me is just getting out with kids or grandkids

11. Member
    For me it's about figuring something out or learning something new. I could get completely skunked but as long as I learned something then it's a good day.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewM-Fishing View Post
    For me it's about figuring something out or learning something new. I could get completely skunked but as long as I learned something then it's a good day.
    That is a good one! So the follow up is, how do you know you learned something if you got skunked??

13. Member
    To me it's more of a totality. Trip to the water that went well, launch that went smoothly, no boat issues, some fish or not, easy retrieve, trip home, and back in the garage. Not than any one thing ruins the day, but when everything went well, it's a pretty amazing feeling.

Being on the water is part of the equation. Time to only think about fishing and time away from normal activity’s. Its truly my Church. Catching can make the day better. 30 to 40 fish days are the norm for me. 80 fish days are exceptional. Winter is now approaching, so it will get down to 6 or 7 fish days. Although cold and slow it’s always a great day on the water.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

15. Member
    I am in college now and any day to get to fish with my dad who started me fishing is great.

16. Member
    I'm mostly "practice" fishing on regular tournament lakes around here now (even if a tournament isn't coming up soon), so a good day to me involves finding a new spot / area, and catching some fish. If I just go to a community hole and crush fish even though its fun, I don't really consider it a good day necessarily.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

17. Member
    Just Having The Wife and/or Good Friend To Enjoy The Day With , Catching Fish Is Secondary.

Any day on the water is good. Catching fish is a bonus.

Granted if I’m fishing a tournament I look at that differently. Fun fishing is just about being out fishing.

19. Member
    A good day on the water is any day that nothing breaks while you are there. No broken rod or engine or trailer…. There are soooo many things that can go wrong.

Just being out and getting away from all the "Stuff".
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast