Thread: 250 SHO HUB

Exclamation 250 SHO HUB

So, I have ran a Mercury FURY on my 250 SHO a couple different times. I noticed that the hub doesn't have the conical bushing in the back of the square sleeve like my old Mercury did. Does this bushing actually need to be in there for the SHO? The kit I ordered was the Quicksilver 835274Q1 which is for the SHOs. I made a long run-close to 40 miles-a while back and basically melted the sleeve where the splined bushing slides in essentially spinning the hub. Luckily I had my Yamaha prop in the boat for a spare to get me back. I ordered 2 new hubs to use the Fury as my spare and also have a spare hub kit. Do they make a "solid" hub like Mercury has for the ProXS to keep this from happening or is this just the nature of the beast?
    2017 Ford F-350 Platinum
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP Yamaha 250SHO

2. ZO6
    The bushing cost about $20.00 and about 30 seconds to insert. I've used nothing but Mercury Props on my flashed SHO for the last 6 years with the 835274Q1 with the bushing I'm talking about. Never any problem with lots of different props.

3. Member
    I have been running a Merc Brovo prop for the last 6 years on my Yamaha outboards, What is this bushing? Anyone have a picture or part #

4. Member
    Is this the bushing? I’m pretty sure when using it the torque spec goes up significantly if I remember correctly. I have used the hub kit mentioned above without any additional parts added to it without any issues. Although I have never made a run like that before.

IMG_2782.jpeg

5. Member
    Where would there be room for something like that added? The nut slots still need to line up with the hole in the shaft. I torque mine to about 90-110 ft lbs depending on where the slot lines up with the hole. I do retorque it after the first couple days of running.
    I have since moved on to a different hub kit from Mercury that is supposedly somewhat cushioned. Read about on here. Haven't tried it yet as it's winter here, but I did mount it up. Another member on here tried it and said it really smoothed out the shift into gear.

6. ZO6
    Quote Originally Posted by okskeetertzx190 View Post
    Is this the bushing? I’m pretty sure when using it the torque spec goes up significantly if I remember correctly. I have used the hub kit mentioned above without any additional parts added to it without any issues. Although I have never made a run like that.
    IMG_2782.jpeg
    That is the bushing I was talking about. I had heard about spinning hubs and melt downs from others. Don’t know if the bushing matters but I have never had any problems at all. I am still running the same one since May 2017. At times I’ve run 40 plus mi. One way. Granted not all WOT.

7. Member
    For those looking for a hub kit, you should look at the cushioned version #835258K2. a few more bucks, but cushioned shifts into gear, and more metal components instead of plastic. I have switched over from the #835274Q1 version to this to get a smoother shift. Some posters on the Yamaha engine forum here turned me on to this.

Quote Originally Posted by okskeetertzx190 View Post
    Is this the bushing? I’m pretty sure when using it the torque spec goes up significantly if I remember correctly. I have used the hub kit mentioned above without any additional parts added to it without any issues. Although I have never made a run like that before.

IMG_2782.jpeg

Yes, that is the bushing/insert I'm talking about. On the previous Mercs I have ran--before the ProXS Fat Shaft--they all had this bushing. I will order some of these bushings to put with my current hub kits that are missing it. I may even order that cushioned kit to try.
    2017 Ford F-350 Platinum
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP Yamaha 250SHO

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jus10keith View Post
    So, I have ran a Mercury FURY on my 250 SHO a couple different times. I noticed that the hub doesn't have the conical bushing in the back of the square sleeve like my old Mercury did. Does this bushing actually need to be in there for the SHO? The kit I ordered was the Quicksilver 835274Q1 which is for the SHOs. I made a long run-close to 40 miles-a while back and basically melted the sleeve where the splined bushing slides in essentially spinning the hub. Luckily I had my Yamaha prop in the boat for a spare to get me back. I ordered 2 new hubs to use the Fury as my spare and also have a spare hub kit. Do they make a "solid" hub like Mercury has for the ProXS to keep this from happening or is this just the nature of the beast?

The solid hub option is part # 835258K2
    Works with the 250 SHO. I only have these to prevent any hub melting issues.