lower unit drain plug tool

at one time there was a post regarding the wide tip slotted screwdriver or special tool for removing the bottom and top drain plug on lower units.

If anyone has a link or place to purchase please advise. Thanks

(I know the newer style gear cases drain plugs are by the prop shaft, just looking for the tool to have in case its needed when helping buds with older mercs)

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    I've used 2 large regular screwdrivers side-by-side, works for me.

4. Member
    A properly fitting hollow ground screwdriver or bit.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Member
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

6. Member
    Snap-On carries the screw driver.....but the price plus shipping is hard to swallow.

I use a stubby flat blade Craftsman screwdriver that came in a tool box I bought in 1972.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Over the years I've used a Mac, Snap-on, and generic Snap-on. I'm sure there are others, but most any other set I bought just wasn't up to the challenge.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member

10. Member
    Snap-on and Mac as we all know make superior tools for many applications. You pay a little more but in the long run they pay for themselves if you use them much at all. As the old saying goes you get what you pay for. Inferior wrenches will tear up and do more damage to nuts, bolt heads, etc. than you can imagine such as rounding them off where a good wrench won't even take them off!

11. Member
    I use the Snapon screw driver. It is made specifically for removing LU plugs. The blade is right sized and doesn't mar the slot.

12. Member
    Go find a cheap, manual impact screwdriver set. Usually these sets will contain several thicker an wider blades that are a near perfect fit for the slotted drain plugs. I use them with a 5/16 socket on a 1/4 drive ratchet. Works perfect.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Just use caution with impact screwdrivers. Over-zealous use can potentially damage the case threads (have had to address a few of those) or even expel the magnet (where a magnetic plug is used).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kegman View Post
    I use them with a 5/16 socket on a 1/4 drive ratchet. Works perfect.
    I do the same, just the proper bit from the impact set inserted in a 5/16" socket and my 1/4" ratchet.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

15. Member
    Same here plus use this setup for several other applications.
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    I do the same, just the proper bit from the impact set inserted in a 5/16" socket and my 1/4" ratchet.