Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Al Lindner on FFS and fisheries/FTR article

Josh Jones recently talked about this also. Hopefully fisheries managers are taking note on what respected anglers are saying. Creel limits need some consideration on change along with summer tournament’s. Josh Jones talked about the delayed mortality on hot water tournaments and putting fish in live wells. At the end of the day we all want our fisheries healthy and sustainable.

https://fishingtackleretailer.com/fi...-facing-sonar/

He is right, there is no escaping for fish, there rt there, but of course someone will say" but yah still got to catch em" lol.If you are a good fisherman as many here are, you will quickly figure that out . Randy and Al are right.If I was musky guy and had ffs it would not be fish of a thousand casts. Like having a drone for deer hunting, exact same principle.

“It’s been my experience that state agencies and fisheries managers usually don’t move until fisheries collapse,” states Lindner. “We need to get out in front of this before it becomes a genuine problem. There is no time to waste.”

one has to wonder just how far the manufacturers want to take this technology. This is a potential game changer especially on future fisheries as the technology improves along with becoming more affordable for average fishermen

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WjColdWater View Post
    Josh Jones recently talked about this also. Hopefully fisheries managers are taking note on what respected anglers are saying. Creel limits need some consideration on change along with summer tournament’s. Josh Jones talked about the delayed mortality on hot water tournaments and putting fish in live wells. At the end of the day we all want our fisheries healthy and sustainable.
    I have a concern they may move too slowly or not all all. Often times budgets define what they can and can't do. In our area, pleasure boating usually gets priority and most of the budget. I think it will be a regional issue, as some areas will be managed effectively while others will suffer. Each lake is different, but I'm sure we have all seen where fish populations do no always bounce back once something major happens to tip those scales.
    Last edited by BackLash625; 10-11-2023 at 07:46 AM.
    "Absence of Evidence does not mean Evidence of Absence."
    - Dr. Carl Sagan

5. Member
    Delayed mortality of fish weighed in at bass tournaments has been known and studied for over thirty years. Delayed mortality does not begin for released fish until two or three days post-release, hence the term delayed mortality. Percent loss of fish to delayed mortality is directly proportional to water temperature. Delayed mortality can kill nearly 100 percent of the released fish under certain conditions. There can be no argument on this.

BASS tournament organizations which claim to be a force for conservation should have eliminated or highly modified hot weather tournaments years ago. Lots of excuses have been made but the fact exists that delayed mortality continues to be a problem today.

Florida FWC just took action to maintain fishing quality at Headwaters Lake, a world-class bass fishery south of Palm Bay, FL. No bass may be placed livewells, even for short periods of time. No day long boat rides for hero shots at the end of the day are allowed. None...NADA/
    Last edited by csurp; 10-11-2023 at 07:49 AM.

6. Member
    along with becoming more affordable for average fishermen
    Did Al say when this might happen?
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Years ago Al Linder also preached that when fishing catch and release anglers had a responsibility to stop fishing for the day if they caught and released 2x the daily limit. This was based on his belief in delayed mortality. No doubt that fish caught deep during hot weather face a greater risk. On SML our club and many other organizations have no tournaments during July and August and the local after work derbies (7 or 8 pm until midnight) have a 3 fish limit per team.

8. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    Did Al say when this might happen?
    LOL in my opinion it's not the ducer itself that gets you. It's the size of screen that most of us get with it that can sting at least a little.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

I think we need to ban fishing altogether so not 1 fish dies needlessly.

10. Member
    Such a ridiculous argument

11. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    Years ago Al Linder also preached that when fishing catch and release anglers had a responsibility to stop fishing for the day if they caught and released 2x the daily limit. This was based on his belief in delayed mortality. No doubt that fish caught deep during hot weather face a greater risk. On SML our club and many other organizations have no tournaments during July and August and the local after work derbies (7 or 8 pm until midnight) have a 3 fish limit per team.
    A few years ago I was trout fishing and was absolutely crushing them. Almost learned the hard way to not brag to a game warden about how many I've caught because he was looking hard trying to find dead trout near where I was fishing. I try my best to not handle the fish if I don't have to (pull it between my hip boots and quickly remove the barbless single hook and break off the 2# leader if removing the hook will do more harm than good).
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

12. Member
    You ever make the comment, man we USED to catch so many fish on that lake ? Not saying ffs does or does not have a long range effect however, if you add it to all the other factors that you will mention about the causes for lakes no longer being productive. It COULD be one more nail in the coffin.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cart7 View Post
    “It’s been my experience that state agencies and fisheries managers usually don’t move until fisheries collapse,” states Lindner. “We need to get out in front of this before it becomes a genuine problem. There is no time to waste.”
    I completely agree with this statement. I have said for many years that our DEC doesn't act, it reacts to our wildlife problems no matter how hard sportsmen here in NYS reach out to them.

Last winter the DEC sent out a survey via email asking if you would be for or against lowering the walleye size limit on Erie because of the number being caught in deep water and they don't survive after being released. Everyone I talked to voted to lower the limit so not to feed the seagulls and cormorants. To this day we have not heard a response on that email survey.

14. Member
    If people would just stop fishing no instant or delayed mortality…
    2019 Phoenix 21PHX
    Mercury 250 4 Stroke

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireball View Post
    I completely agree with this statement. I have said for many years that our DEC doesn't act, it reacts to our wildlife problems no matter how hard sportsmen here in NYS reach out to them.

Last winter the DEC sent out a survey via email asking if you would be for or against lowering the walleye size limit on Erie because of the number being caught in deep water and they don't survive after being released. Everyone I talked to voted to lower the limit so not to feed the seagulls and cormorants. To this day we have not heard a response on that email survey.
    +2

16. Banned
    just stop fishing

Quote Originally Posted by MI bassassassin View Post
    If people would just stop fishing no instant or delayed mortality…
    Sounds like most want to “save” the lakes so their grandkids can go scuba dive and look at them lol

18. Member
    If the people who can regulate tournament approvals and creel/slot limits don’t make a move when the surveys show declining numbers, it isn’t the fault of people using FFS that fisheries collapse. You dont control the population by regulating the techlniques, you control the population by reducing the number of boats per tournament and number of tournaments, and slot and creel limits.

If there are strict limits and those limits are enforced, the fishery will survive and thrive, all other things being in line with a healthy lake.

At least that is what I think and that seems to be what he is getting at in terms of acting versus reacting.

19. Member
    Look at what is going on with the way Joe sixpack is getting priced out of the opportunity to change levels at the tournament stage of fishing. I am seeing the same trends in all walks of life. For instance crafting. The days of doing hand crafting are being squashed by technologies like 3d and CNC. At the same time the costs to be in the game have exceeded what the average crafter is willing to pay to be in the crafting at the sales point. A guy I work with does crafting like I did tournaments. Its getting to the point that the tech is displacing the crafting.

The whole argument about bass populations is a farce IMO. Its a renewable resource. The Southern states have solved the problem with warm water stocking programs. The North just wants the monies from the 7 licenses, registrations and permits we have to buy yearly or bi-yearly. That doesnt include the taxes for boats and trailers. They have zero stocking programs for warm water species in Ct.. even though we contribute more than the majority of the fisheries funding compared to cold water species. We also now pay a levy on weeds and to keep the state parks free entrances on our dimes even though they wont permit us to use the majority of parks for tournaments.
    Last edited by mattmann7; 10-11-2023 at 08:57 AM.

Sometimes the sportsman have to manage the fisheries or wildlife on there own. Just because the limit of crappie is 30 or 60 don't mean you have to keep that many all the time for a facebook picture. Same goes for deer hunting if the your state allows 6 deer and you think the population is down why take that many?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast