Possible retirement relocation from TX

I also posted this in the general forum but m also posting it here because I think my wife may have a preference to at least be closer to family in the mid Atlantic region and NC is at least closer to that area. Right now we are considering NC, SC, TN and GA but I'd love to hear from experts in NC.
    -----------
    Now that I'm retired my wife would like to move further east from TX (in part because we have family on the East Coast) and to someplace that has at least some semblance of 4 seasons. I don't think she can take many more summers like this on of 103-107 every day.) Personally, I hate to leave Central TX and all our good lakes, but am trying to consider places that would work well for both of us.

Things that are important to us:

Availability of nice housing. We are fortunate enough to have a pretty good budget.
    Access to good bass fishing, preferably with multiple lakes in the area, and fishing year round. Does it stay warm enough tofish in winter and not winterize the boat?
    Access to decent size communities/cities with good shopping, activities, medical care etc. But not as overcrowded and overpriced as Austin.
    Reasonable access to a major airport.
    If possible, reasonable driving distance to the coast (nice to have but not must have.)
    I'd like to potentially buy lakefront but its not a must have. I fish solo a lot in the week so at least an area that has good accessibility to ramps and where I can store my boat at home.

Based on the above, what lakes/towns/cities do y'all recommend and why?
    Thanks for your help!

2. Member
    Sent you a DM
    Brian Howard
    2023 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2023 Mercury 225

3. Member
    If I could pick any lake in North Carolina to live on it would be Kerr Lake. There's 3 lakes that run into each other and Kerr is the first one. Kerr has the best fishing overall in my opinion as 40 fish days are possible in the spring time. Lake Gaston which is next door is also popular but the pleasure boaters are ridiculous there May thru September. Then there is the golden gem, Roanoke Rapids Lake. That is the lake no one wants to talk about because the locals love it so much and don't want people flocking to it. You can do your own research on that one. But if you choose to live in that area you're driving distance to each of them.

From Kerr you're also relatively close to Falls Lake and a couple lakes in Virginia like Smith Mountain Lake. I'm biased because Kerr is my favorite lake, its big enough so boat traffic isn't terrible, its basically 3 lakes in 1 with a river portion, mid-lake area, and the lower end which has super clean clear water. You won't catch a double digit bass there but 3-4 pounders are getting easier to come by. The biggest I've every landed was a 6 pounder.

I also lived in Texas for a short time period. Congrats on your retirement.
    Collins Boating Pro Staff - Smithfield, North Carolina
    JeffreyDavisFishing.com
    | YouTube | Facebook | Instagram | NC Bass Challenge

4. Member
    Thank you very much for the info!
    I really love my wife or I wouldn't consider leaving Texas. We have lots of great lakes within an hour drive. On several I'd consider 15lbs mediocre and I don't consider it a good day until I'm in the 20+ range. Some of them take 30+ pounds to win the bigger tourneys in the Spring. But my wife has been here for almost 30 years so I guess I owe it to her to find someplace she will like better....

5. Member
    Not NC, taxes are insane there. SC or TN would be my choices.

6. Fishing is a Passion
    If you are looking for the seasons, the middle of the state Winston Salem/Greensboro/High Point area would be a good choice. Probably within 2.0 hours you have 16 very good lakes from 500 acres to 50,000 acres. The coast is 2.5 hrs, I have never winterized my boat, but Jan and Feb can get cold. I lived in Winston Salem for 25 plus years and recently moved to the coast. We loved the area. Plenty of real estate, shopping and exploring. Good Luck
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

7. Member
    Thanks for the input. I appreciate everyone taking time to reply.

To me, change of seasons means fishing spawn to frogs to offshore to square bills to A rigs to prespawn....

I don't think my wife necessarily needs snow but 100 plus degrees from May to late September is more than she can handle. (doesn't bother me too much.)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
    If you are looking for the seasons, the middle of the state Winston Salem/Greensboro/High Point area would be a good choice. Probably within 2.0 hours you have 16 very good lakes from 500 acres to 50,000 acres. The coast is 2.5 hrs, I have never winterized my boat, but Jan and Feb can get cold. I lived in Winston Salem for 25 plus years and recently moved to the coast. We loved the area. Plenty of real estate, shopping and exploring. Good Luck

8. Member
    From what I see online it looks like you pay a 6% annual personal property tax on cars? Is that correct? If so how do they determine the taxable value? Seems like that could be a huge annual expense.

Is there an annual tax on boats?
    Thanks!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerranger View Post
    From what I see online it looks like you pay a 6% annual personal property tax on cars? Is that correct? If so how do they determine the taxable value? Seems like that could be a huge annual expense.

Thanks!
    Yes, personal property tax includes vehicles, boats, RVs, ATVs, tractors, construction equipment, etc.

10. Member

Thanks!
    I think you have your rate wrong. The rate should be .6% so you would pay $240 on a car or boat valued at $40,000. The rate would vary by county as each county sets their own rate. If you live within the city limits, you pay both county and city taxes.

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths. ~Author Unknown

11. Member
    I know this is a NC post but in SC we pay a luxury tax on boats campers and the such I'm no fan of the paying taxes on something I own and will be doing so until I die then the kids can pay the taxes

12. Member
    I was sure hoping the source I saw was wrong. It still sucks paying tax each year but .6% is a lot less painful.

Quote Originally Posted by RedShad View Post
    I think you have your rate wrong. The rate should be .6% so you would pay $240 on a car or boat valued at $40,000. The rate would vary by county as each county sets their own rate. If you live within the city limits, you pay both county and city taxes.

13. Member
    I currently live in NC on the coast. Plenty of fishing opportunities near Raleigh which has an airport. I wouldn’t personally live within the city limits of Raleigh as it’s just too many people for my liking but near Raleigh wouldn’t be bad. I do love Kerr Lake as well as it fishes big. I also recently got some land near Lake Keowee, SC which I intend to retire on one day. Beautiful area and lake. It feeds Lake Hartwell which is massive. That area has Greenville SC as it pertains to airports, shopping, etc. Has 4 seasons, and fishable 12 months. Anyway, lots of options in both states.

14. Member
    Thanks. We visited Keowee this summer. It's a pretty area and its on the list for us to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
    I currently live in NC on the coast. Plenty of fishing opportunities near Raleigh which has an airport. I wouldn’t personally live within the city limits of Raleigh as it’s just too many people for my liking but near Raleigh wouldn’t be bad. I do love Kerr Lake as well as it fishes big. I also recently got some land near Lake Keowee, SC which I intend to retire on one day. Beautiful area and lake. It feeds Lake Hartwell which is massive. That area has Greenville SC as it pertains to airports, shopping, etc. Has 4 seasons, and fishable 12 months. Anyway, lots of options in both states.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
    I responded to the OPs question in the lounge suggesting the Raleigh area just because it is closer to more "large" lakes and has an international airport. We have lived in Kernersville, smack in the middle between Winston/Greensboro/High Point for about four years and love it here. We both agree that even if have to move again we will return for retirement. So convenient for shopping, doctors, etc. with roughly a million people in the triad you can find anything within a short drive without the traffic that Raleigh/Durham has. The downside is being further from many of the bigger lakes but I have really grown fond of all these smaller lakes around here. No jet skis, wake boats, etc. allowed. No line at the ramp. Nobody parked at the ramp for 30 minutes loading their gear on the boat. Hanging rock 45 minutes away, blue ridge mountains 2 hours, beach we go to is 3.5 hours away. If it snows, it looks pretty and is usually gone by noon. There's a lot to like here.

I also posted this in the general forum but m also posting it here because I think my wife may have a preference to at least be closer to family in the mid Atlantic region and NC is at least closer to that area. Right now we are considering NC, SC, TN and GA but I'd love to hear from experts in NC.
    -----------
    Now that I'm retired my wife would like to move further east from TX (in part because we have family on the East Coast) and to someplace that has at least some semblance of 4 seasons. I don't think she can take many more summers like this on of 103-107 every day.) Personally, I hate to leave Central TX and all our good lakes, but am trying to consider places that would work well for both of us.

Things that are important to us:

Availability of nice housing. We are fortunate enough to have a pretty good budget.
    Access to good bass fishing, preferably with multiple lakes in the area, and fishing year round. Does it stay warm enough tofish in winter and not winterize the boat?
    Access to decent size communities/cities with good shopping, activities, medical care etc. But not as overcrowded and overpriced as Austin.
    Reasonable access to a major airport.
    If possible, reasonable driving distance to the coast (nice to have but not must have.)
    I'd like to potentially buy lakefront but its not a must have. I fish solo a lot in the week so at least an area that has good accessibility to ramps and where I can store my boat at home.

Based on the above, what lakes/towns/cities do y'all recommend and why?
    Thanks for your help!
    I'm kind of in the same boat, wife retires in 2 years and looking for a cooler place. Our biggest problem is we need to be around one hour or so from an airport that Southwest Airlines flies out of.

17. Member
    Airport in Raleigh,RDU, has a wing that is mostly Southwest. Real quick in and out

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerdn View Post
    Airport in Raleigh,RDU, has a wing that is mostly Southwest. Real quick in and out
    Yea Raleighs in the running along with
    Norfolk
    Little Rock
    Tulsa
    Greenville SC
    and maybe Nashville