Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    #FRB

Would you rather be great on one lake or so-so on several?

A thought has popped into my head about how I'm pretty good on my home lake but not so much other places because I'm not willing to make the much longer drive and put in the time on them. I'd rather be good at fun fishing on the lake I know like the back of my hand. Occasionally I'll go somewhere else for a change of scenery but that can be hit and miss...mostly miss but I'll break it down and try to establish a pattern during the one-off trip. Fishing is my way of relaxing and the less time I spend towing the more time I have to fish. What say y'all?
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

2. Member
    I enjoy the variety of different lakes.

3. Member
    Stands to reason you should be pretty good on your home lake as you fish it the most. Since I'm not doing tournaments/clubs anymore I'd rather be great on my home lake and maybe have one or two others that I'm pretty proficient on for some variety.

4. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    At my age, 68, I’ll take one lake.

Dale Sinclair original

5. Member
    68 is just a couple of months away from me and I am fortunate to live on a lake.
    Having said that and as good as I am “at times” I think the word great is open to interpretation ��

6. Member
    Luckily I now live 10 minutes from a decent lake so it’s way easier for me to make more frequent trips. I stay on top of the fish and the changes therefore I’m having more success and fun. I love going to different lakes but it can be frustrating to drive 2 hours and establish a pattern after half the day is over or no pattern at all. I vote for being great on one lake. However a change of scenery and new challenge keeps things fresh sometimes. Don’t overthink it if you get bored at home just take a short trip somewhere.

7. Member
    For convenience, it's nice to fish the chain of lakes we usually fish. Although I do enjoy changing it up and fish a few different places each year to change up the scenery. The Mississippi River is about a 2 1/2 drive and we usually fish that a few times a year. Love fishing the river.

I would rather be great on one. We are fortunate where we live to have Wison and Wheeler dams about 15 miles apart so that gives us access to Wheeler, Wilson and Pickwick lakes only a short distance apart.

I’d take great on any lake.

10. Member
    One lake eventually gets boring. At least, it did for me.

11. Member
    Great on a single lake by far, but I really enjoy fishing new lakes.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    same here. I have 10 different places to fish within 1.5hours. I don't think I'll run out of areas to try anytime soon.

13. Member
    It seems around me, the guys who are always in the top 10 are always in the top 10, doesn't really matter what lake we go to.

14. Member
    If you are good enough to be great on one lake it shouldn't be that hard for you to figure out how to be good on other lakes. I live a short drive to several tidal rivers so I seldom feel like I'm fishing the same water.

Goal is top 25% on any lake I'm at. Often fall short of that, but that's the goal.

16. Member
    Depends who is asking...............if one of the brothers it is whatever lake we are presently on. Anyone else..........no good on any of 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    I’d take great on any lake.
    My FFS makes this question irrelevant.

18. Member
    Considering that I have only been five times this year and fished five different lakes I'm going with so so on several since I don't get to go enough to be good at any. My last trip a few weeks ago I hadn't been since early May and my casting sucked but did manage five and it took about four hours start to figure out a pattern. A little frustrating but I have fun.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    This. Variety is everything to me.

20. Member
    I live real close to Great Lake Erie but she can be a bitch some days. With Erie being so damn big it's sometimes like several lakes in one depending on which boat launch you choose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast