Deck insert almost done

I didn't want to just add a fishing platform, so I had a shop build me a frame and deck lid. Got it carpeted, and installed, so now I have additional storage as well as a much larger front deck. Boats in the shop getting some wiring done, so I'll post some frame photos later. Still need to install my latch and struts, but so far I'm really happy with it.

Bare deck photo is from before the hinge was attached, so that's why it's off center.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mgfan58; 10-07-2023 at 11:28 AM. Reason: add detail

2. Member
    That looks awesome! Have any pictures of it with the lid open to see what the inside of compartment looks like? I’ve been thinking about doing something similar on my boat but was unsure how to make it look finished inside

3. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Very nice!

4. Member
    I’ll post some pictures when I get it back from getting some wiring work done and my TM repaired. The shop made a Z shaped frame and welded the sides together. The top vertical flange is 1” and the center horizontal is about 1.5”. The bottom horizontal is 2” so there’s room to attach it to the rod locker sides. I would have done the hinge differently, but it worked out okay.

5. Member
    I also plan on installing some dividers to hold up my 3700 boxes.

6. Member
    Here are some additional photos. Sorry they aren't any better, but I don't want to take it apart to show more detail. I'm sure you can understand. If you'd like better photos, send me an email and I'll send larger photos. Inside of the lid, Pointing out the Z framed areas. Close up of the top of the Z frame. Inside close out panel. It's bolted to the square tubing, and I haven't finished it yet. Need to cut off bolts and attach carpet. Still need to install my struts and latch as well. Going to add padding on the side walls eventually. It's a work in progress.

Attachment 534161Attachment 534162Attachment 534163Attachment 534164
    Last edited by Mgfan58; 10-15-2023 at 10:38 AM.

7. Member
    Another try at posting photos. Not sure what's wrong with my others.
    deck 4.jpgdeck5.jpgdeck 6.jpg

8. Member
    Finally got my deck insert lid completed and installed. Latch and lights were the final part.

Cobra deck lid.jpg

9. Member
    Looks great!!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamB View Post
    Looks great!!
    Thanks. It was a lot of work, and expense, but cheaper than a new boat.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mgfan58 View Post
    Thanks. It was a lot of work, and expense, but cheaper than a new boat.
    Can't aspect some good to be cheap, and I wish that I was closer to you cause I would like to mod my extension or have same as your built.
    Congrats!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    Can't aspect some good to be cheap, and I wish that I was closer to you cause I would like to mod my extension or have same as your built.
    Congrats!
    Thanks for the comment. It was well worth the effort. I think any good fab shop could build it for you. I can hand draw what they did and send you some designs, if you’d like. I’d make some changes to how they did it, if I did it again, but it worked out perfect.

13. Member
    Thanks for the comment. It was well worth the effort. I think any good fab shop could build it for you. I can hand draw what they did and send you some designs, if you’d like. I’d make some changes to how they did it, if I did it again, but it worked out perfect.
    I have the current extension which came as an option with my 2002 Cobra 201DC when order new, but for some reason I can't upload the picture.

14. Member
    I have the current extension which came as an option with my 2002 Cobra 201DC when order new, but for some reason I can't upload the picture.
    I had an opportunity to buy a factory extension, but it was only 14' long. What length extension did your boat come with?

15. Member
    I had an opportunity to buy a factory extension, but it was only 14' long. What length extension did your boat come with?
    I believe that it's 16" long, and it serves me well for what I enjoy the boat for now. I am thinking of creating more center tackle storage, so I will PM you my email for picture for you to see what I have.

16. Member
    I believe that it's 16" long, and it serves me well for what I enjoy the boat for now. I am thinking of creating more center tackle storage, so I will PM you my email for picture for you to see what I have.
    Email sent.