Registering a used boat bought in TN

I have a buddy here in TN who sold a boat to a guy in KY. To the best of my knowledge, he gave him a bill of sale and that was it.

We do not title boats or trailers here in TN. We don't even register the trailers - only the boat.

The guy is telling my buddy he must have the "yellow card" for the boat and his local office will not do anything without that.

We don't have any kind of "yellow card" in TN. Anyone have any clue what the guy could need?
    2023 Puma STS

Unless it has changed since 2016 he has to get a big packet from his local clerks office and have them filled out by both parties. Also has to be signed and notarized in both counties.

I bought a Tennessee boat and it took me weeks to get it titled in KY. At no point was I ever asked for a yellow card.

3. Member
    Bill of Sale is all I'm obligated to do selling a boat in TN. If an out of state buyer wants it they can do the leg work on getting whatever else they need.

4. Member
    What happened to the MSO's?

5. Member
    When I bought my boat in Alabama and registered it in Kentucky a few years ago, I had the same situation. Alabama does not register boats or trailers. I had to get the bill of sale signed by me and the seller notarized. That’s all I needed from the seller. There was a “Goldenrod” document that the bank needed for financing but my clerks office provided that.

What I’ve noticed after buying a truck and boat from out of state, how smoothly you can get everything registered in Kentucky depends a lot on your clerks office and how well they explain everything to you. And you better ask them what they need before you buy the vehicle because the seller is a lot less likely to help out after they sale. Don’t rely on what the internet, friends, or the bank says. Go directly to the clerks office for all info.

I purchased a boat from Tennessee and all I was required to have a bill of sale notarized by the seller. Same thing with the boat I purchased out of Ohio and Florida. That’s been 7 years ago.
    Allison XB21 2+2 with Mercury 300R

7. Member
    My buddy just registered his boat in TN yesterday-3 years 80 bucks. No TN address he said they didn’t ask any questions. It’s 2022 l 520 so that’s heck an f a deal. - why don’t your friend just register it in TN. I’d do it but when I registered my 2021 caymas here they never had brand on file so valued it at like 30 k so not too big of a hit

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HH45cal View Post
    My buddy just registered his boat in TN yesterday-3 years 80 bucks. No TN address he said they didn’t ask any questions. It’s 2022 l 520 so that’s heck an f a deal. - why don’t your friend just register it in TN. I’d do it but when I registered my 2021 caymas here they never had brand on file so valued it at like 30 k so not too big of a hit
    His friend should have to have a TN. residence to register it there. If he managed without he got lucky on someone's mistake. From TWRA website:

What to take to the clerk’s office in order to obtain the application if the boat was purchased from an individual: ·
    o Complete Bill of Sale that includes:

o Date of Sale
    o Price
    o Full description of vessel including – year, make, model and HIN
    o Name, Address, telephone number, and signature of both buyer and seller.

9. Kentucky Bass Club/Trailers & Towing Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Gray View Post
    His friend should have to have a TN. residence to register it there. If he managed without he got lucky on someone's mistake. From TWRA website:

What to take to the clerk’s office in order to obtain the application if the boat was purchased from an individual: ·
    o Complete Bill of Sale that includes:

o Date of Sale
    o Price
    o Full description of vessel including – year, make, model and HIN
    o Name, Address, telephone number, and signature of both buyer and seller.
    Not true. I know several that are registered in TN using a KY address. TN doesn’t fight it. You are giving them money. .

To the OP. My stepmom is retired from the clerks office here. She said, at least here, a buyers order or bill of sale signed by both parties would be more than sufficient at our clerks office.

10. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by TNReb View Post
    I have a buddy here in TN who sold a boat to a guy in KY. To the best of my knowledge, he gave him a bill of sale and that was it.

We do not title boats or trailers here in TN. We don't even register the trailers - only the boat.

The guy is telling my buddy he must have the "yellow card" for the boat and his local office will not do anything without that.

We don't have any kind of "yellow card" in TN. Anyone have any clue what the guy could need?
    Normally KY wants your TN Registration Card....that is the "yellow card" the buyer is referring to. You should get a small card with the TWRA #'s, HIN, owners name and address when you register the boat in TN.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

11. Member
    As of early in 2023, Ky requires a NOTORIZED bill of sale
    and the small registration card, if the sellers state issues one.
    Also according to USCG regulation, All boats will be registered in the state
    of principal use. LDS
    Larry D. Scott Retired KY Water patrol/F&W
    www.greatscottshooters.com

2008 TRACKER TV 18 w/150 Mercury 4S
    MK Ultrex 80lb, 102 Garmin Live scope
    and a UHD93SV Garmin on the bow.
    UHD 93SV at the console.