Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I understand completely - on the flip side it’s not just Mercury I see the same with car and truck manufacturers these days too.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BDBR View Post
    The 519 will be a more stable platform with the TM down and the front deck will be much larger compared to the 819
    Based on what? I've never felt that boat was the least bit unstable. You can put two guys on one side and it doesn't tilt much at all.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Mercury may be an American company but they are out of touch with American values. Namely modifying engines to get more power out of them, which has been a pastime in our culture for nearly 100 years. Mercury is against any tuning or aftermarket modifications done to their motors, where as Yamaha is fine with it. It is pretty sad when a Japanese company understands the American culture better than an American company does.
    Ironic isn't it. Guess I'm a participant, drive a Tundra..

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DMart1 View Post
    Based on what? I've never felt that boat was the least bit unstable. You can put two guys on one side and it doesn't tilt much at all.
    The Ranger hulls are flatter. One of the reasons they ride like garbage but it also makes them SLIGHTLY more stable with the TM down.

5. Member

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DMart1 View Post
    Ranger builds the most stable fishing platform and always has, and yes, a Phoenix will lean more than a Ranger with two guys on one side. The same flat bottom that gives Ranger it's stability is also what contributes to it's rougher ride so it's a compromise. I like and own both brands, but objectively Ranger is hands down a more stable fishing platform just as Phoenix is hands down a smoother ride. Not to say the Phoenix is tippy by any means, it's pretty good in the tippy category but it's not a Ranger in terms of stability. If Ranger is a 10 in terms of tippyness I'd give my 721 an 8.5 which is nothing to sneeze at. I have a newer 721 and an older Ranger 462. My 462 at 18'9" is as stable as my 20'11" Phoenix and that's saying a lot. My buddies 20'11' Ranger 520 is noticeably more stable than my Phoenix but there are plenty of other reasons why I went with Phoenix for my newer boat....there's not a boat made that's the best in every category but everyone is entitled to believe whatever they want.

Oh, and I drive a tundra too .... in 08 it was rated "the most American made" 1/2 ton....my Dad hates that fact
    Last edited by BDBR; 10-31-2023 at 04:19 AM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BDBR View Post
    Ranger builds the most stable fishing platform and always has, and yes, a Phoenix will lean more than a Ranger with two guys on one side. The same flat bottom that gives Ranger it's stability is also what contributes to it's rougher ride so it's a compromise. I like and own both brands, but objectively Ranger is hands down a more stable fishing platform just as Phoenix is hands down a smoother ride. Not to say the Phoenix is tippy by any means, it's pretty good in the tippy category but it's not a Ranger in terms of stability. If Ranger is a 10 in terms of tippyness I'd give my 721 an 8.5 which is nothing to sneeze at. I have a newer 721 and an older Ranger 462. My 462 at 18'9" is as stable as my 20'11" Phoenix and that's saying a lot. My buddies 20'11' Ranger 521 is noticeably more stable than my Phoenix but there are plenty of other reasons why I went with Phoenix for my newer boat....there's not a boat made that's the best in every category but everyone is entitled to believe whatever they want.

Oh, and I drive a tundra too .... in 08 it was rated "the most American made" 1/2 ton....my Dad hates that fact
    Excellent answer and analysis. Speed and an extra 2 mph doesn't really move the needle for me.....like I said, I currently run a Ranger, lol. I agree, nothing ticks all the boxes as the best.
    5 Short of a limit

The last 3 boats have been Ranger. They are built good and will take alot of punishment and fish great. Bought a 919 and never looked back. The ride is so much better and the platform is just as good. As far as engine goes I buy American stuff.
    It good

8. Member
    I have had my 919 since 2015 and 3 rangers and a stratos prior. If you think the stability of a 919 is something to worry about, I would stay out of a bass boat. The 819 and 919 are like driving a sports car, loads of fun. Get one and don't look back unless to see the guys you pass.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12