Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Phoenix 819 vs Ranger Z519.....SHO or Merc 4 stroke

I believe I have narrowed down my boat hunt to these 2 models. I currently have a 2012 Ranger 118 w/ Etec 150. What I love about my current boat is HUGE storage for an 18', stable at rest and a great platform. What I am hoping to gain in my next boat is a little more size and a little more speed but I don't want to compromise the fishing platform at rest nor storage. I am not a speed guy, and fish my 600 acre lake 95% of the time but got into 5' rough water in the 118 which was less than fun. This will be my last boat and my questions are as follows:
    - Which hull and why
    - Long term reliability of SHO vs Merc 4 stroke. I have good servicers on both in the area
    - Does the 200 HP on 819 make it "under perform". I just can't justify jumping up to the 919 for the extra $$$
    - 819 as a platform, ride and overall quality
    - Any other recommendations in a sub 20' boat if not these. Thanks in advance for any and all input.
    5 Short of a limit

2. Member
    First off Phoenix costumer service is second to none from my experience. I don’t think you’ll get the same level of service with Ranger but I might be wrong.
    I have the 819 with the Mercury 200 it’s not under powered at all. it fishes pretty big I think and it’s very stable and has a ton of storage but if you run dual console like I do the passenger rod storage is useless for rods with the 2nd console in.and it’s a very dry ride. As far speed I’ve seen 68 mph and had more in it but I let off I was running out of lake. I’m sure I can get 70 out of it. Over all I’m extremely happy with my boat unfortunately I’m going to be selling it this coming spring due to personal issues. I would recommend trying to get in both boats and see how they feel.

I want to add I am running a manual Jack plate all the up p2p is 3.25 inches and I am running a 112 ultrex 36 volt with 4 regular wet cell group 31 batteries.
    Last edited by born 2 fish; 10-05-2023 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Added info
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

3. Scraps
    The 819 fishes like a BIG 19ft boat. Tons of storage and will not feel underpowered. Super nice ride. I assume the 519 has a 225? Price wise apples to apples would be to a 919.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

4. Member
    If you gave me a brand new 519 I'd give it back. It's the worst riding 19' fiberglass boat there is. A 19' tin honestly probably rides better.
    The Ranger will be slightly more stable with the TM down and the bow/console shrouds are nicer but that's about the only thing Ranger has over Phoenix.
    Storage up front is probably about the same cubic footage wise. Phoenix has the split center box vs the large single in the ranger. I prefer the split after having a large single.
    The rear storage I believe are deeper on the Phoenix.

Mercs and Yamaha are both reliable now. Sho's make oil if you don't break them in right, mercury has shift actuator issues, weak lower seals, and are hard to prop.

If I were in the market for a 19 footer I'd also look at Falcon and Blazer.

5. Member
    All good feedback and what I was hoping for...please keep it coming
    5 Short of a limit

6. Member
    2023 Ranger Z 519, 225 Merc Pro XS. Quality of build excellent just like previous 5 rangers I have owned. 70+ mph heavily loaded and very stable fishing platform.
    Both Phoenix and Ranger build fine boats. You can't go wrong in either choice of boat. Good luck in your decision as you win either way.
    520 L TDY

7. Member
    Does the Z519 still have the rod tubes foamed in on the port side rod locker? About the dumbest thing ever

8. Member
    Record long post, Sorry.

currently own a new 819 w/ '24 SHO. I've never owned or fished from the Ranger you mentioned so keep that in mind.

The 819 has 1 large front center tackle section, which I didn't think I would like, but I do. Front rod lockers are just about like most other, and I did take the tubes and "antler rack" out of the port side locker. The front deck is wider than my previous Triton 196 and fishes two with no problem.

Middle and console....no passenger console - the passenger rod locker is good for storage but I've found cumbersome for longer rods, especially multiple rods, but I still like the extra storage. Step compartments and cooler are all good. I like having smaller trays, and if needed, the ability to pull them for a little deeper storage if needed. Driver console is standard shape and size, but as mentioned the shroud is outdated and cheaper looking. The dual mount shroud is strong and I have no issues or worries with my 12" graphs. Seats are firm but do hold you in position really well, and visibility is great. Center flip up glove box has plenty of room and the slam latch is nice. I did put a drawer line and organizer trays in it to keep things from sliding all over.

Rear deck....pretty standard layout. Live wells are well lit and seem deeper than my Triton, but I never measured so it could be an illusion since my Triton live wells were a dark plastic gray color and these are lighter. The one thing I wish it did have was a full width battery compartment lid.

Electric and details.... I opted for the upgraded wiring and found it to be great when I added a USB plug to the left now plate. No power issues to any graphs, either. I looked at several other brands (not Ranger though) and the one things I noticed right off was the stainless hardware including lid pistons and mounts. Skeeter, Caymas, and Triton had black and anodized hardware, and on the models I looked at in the dealer lots, some had already started to rust. Only lack of details were several non buffed areas, glue on some carpet and gel areas, fiberglass dust in several compartments, and some fiberglass stalactites I've scratched my hands on when reaching way up under compartments.

Trailer is a Marine Master and is pretty straight forward. I went with painted Gatorhide and Velocity wheels. Looks, trailers, and loads good. The trailer ladder is something I now would make a must for any trailer.

Performance....SHO has awesome torque. 2 second holeshot with FTX 23 prop (a thread I made has all the details). Handling and ride are amazing. 24v Ultrex pulls it around just fine.

Negatives... Front locker lids do have more flex than I like, but then again I'm 245 lbs. Some branding stickers are already coming detached. No full front deck padding option, just cooler lid and front deck forward of the seat post. With full load, PPs, full tank,and 4 batteries the stern sits really low in the water. . Still new, but that's all for now.

If I ordered again... Hydro jack plate since the stern sits so low in the water. Dual axle brakes, bigger trailer jack stand, HB Heading senser moved from behind driver's seat to somewhere closer / over the ransom if possible (I'm getting interference where it is now, again another posted thread).

Support.... hands down best customer support I've ever experienced from a manufacturer. Plus, my dealer has also been great and fixed any issues so far with not a hint of pushback.

Would I recommend the 819 w/ Yamaha SHO 200.... YES!!!

9. Member
    No comparison SHO all the way, you can flash it to a 300 and outrun any 819 with a Mercury on it. Far more reliable as well.

10. Member
    I have a 2021 819 with a Merc, it is my second Phoenix and probably my last boat until I have to go to a pontoon! I have no complaints about this boat, I fish Sam Rayburn and Toledo and it handles as rough of water as I want to fish in. Those two can be rough mothers!! I have the 24v Ultrex, moves the boat fine, 36v would be great, but running three batteries would suck, and I cannot afford lithium right now. The 200 Merc does great with a 23 Fury, but I have a 24 Tempest Plus I re-pitched to 23 and it runs as well or better than the Fury. As someone else said they have hit 68 with more there. I agree, and that is with a manual plate.

Good luck on your decision.
    2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 Pro XS - Ser No 2B779353
    Ultrex/Humminbird Helix 12 SI Mega/Helix 10 Mega DI/Mega 360
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34

11. Member
    I’m also looking at 19’ boats and the only con I see on paper for the 819 is that the front deck is relatively short for it being close to a 20’ boat (I believe it’s the same length front deck as the 18’ Phoenix models). Have any 819 / 919 owners noticed this as an issue while fishing? Specifically rods hanging over the deck into the passenger area?

12. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by jpd_hack View Post
    I’m also looking at 19’ boats and the only con I see on paper for the 819 is that the front deck is relatively short for it being close to a 20’ boat (I believe it’s the same length front deck as the 18’ Phoenix models). Have any 819 / 919 owners noticed this as an issue while fishing? Specifically rods hanging over the deck into the passenger area?
    Front deck to me feels huge. Last boat was a Ranger with the “C” shaped front deck. Rod locker on either side and small compartment in the center. Honestly I like that Ranger layout better since it gives you a spot to sit down while rigging.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpd_hack View Post
    I don’t have any issues with the front deck it feels big fishes big and I usually have my teen age son fishing up front with me. And the rods sit perfectly fine. This is a 7’10 rod on port side.0BC959D2-2375-4229-8B6F-FB8152CAA181.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by born 2 fish; 10-07-2023 at 08:36 AM.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

14. Member
    Both are fine boats. I would see what the customer comments are at each dealership. My R boat dealer sucks so I'm servicing mine at a Phoenix dealer.
    Manufacturer's support is not even close, Phoenix leads by far.

The Phoneix over Ranger is an easy decision, made easier after Ranger was sold. Its really hard to beat the ride and layout of the Phoenix, except with a longer Phoenix. Also I can't say enough about the company - big reason I am buying my second new Phoenix now.

Merc v SHO - I am still struggling with this. I ordered my new boat with a Merc - I wanted to give the USA a shot and my first ever bass boat had a Merc. That said I have seen personally more issues with them, and the two SHO's I had were both flawless. Time will tell if I made the right decision. If not I will be back into an SHO.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

16. Member
    So after going and looking and crawling around in the 819 which I had hoped would have helped actually made things a little more complicated. I liked the boat, felt the quality of build was probably what impressed me the most. I was a little underwhelmed by the overall layout of the storage. With that said, I wound up looking at a Skeeters zxr19 and LOVED the layout of that much better. My perception and bias with the Skeeters is 1) I don't want Minn Kota electronics and trolling motor 2) I don't think that Skeeters quality of build or customer service is at the same level as the Phoenix... But man,that zxr19 is a NICE layout and deck. I think that I am going to make another trip to really try and pick the 2 apart....unfortunately I think the Ranger might be out the running at this point
    5 Short of a limit

The ZXR is a fine boat - you can always delete electronics and TM.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

18. Member
    819 is MUCH better ride than the Ranger 519. You can draw small positives and negatives elsewhere between the two but the ride alone of the 819 is a game changer between the two.

The 819 and 519 both have decks that feel slightly “short” after being in a 20’ boat. But both will feel huge going from an 18’ boat. At least it did for me going from an old Champion 186. Both on width and length.

I owned a ‘18 819. 2 guys with a full load and live wells 1/2 full - 70 GPS. Passed about 26 other boats going upriver at Lake of the Ozarks from takeoff the last tournament I fished it in. Quite a few 20’+ 250 HP boats in that group. Never felt underwhelming passing everyone.. Solo, the best I would ever do was 71 GPS. On par with most 21’ boats and the slower 20’ crowd.

Loved my 819. Only sold it to get a bigger, faster boat. Caymas CX20.

Copied from the numbers post:

2018 819 Merc 200 ProXS (2 Stroke)
    10" Zlock Manual Jack @ 3-1/16" PTP
    36v Ultrex

1 Solo Driver
    Livewells 1/2 full, tournament load

Full 46 Gal fuel
    60 degree air 65 degree water temperatures
    24p Fury Stock
    5700ish rpm
    71.0 mph
    Last edited by DMart1; 10-09-2023 at 09:24 PM.

19. Member
    The 519 will be a more stable platform with the TM down and the front deck will be much larger compared to the 819. The biggest complaint is the rough water ride but if you primarily fish a smaller lake this may be acceptable to you. I'm not a fan of all the plastic on newer Rangers either. I also dislike fiberglass deck lids as I've replaced 5 or 6, but that usually takes years with lot's of use before they start sagging. The 819 will be a smoother ride but has a smaller front deck. Both good choices, but for me, if only considering those two models I'd go Ranger but it's close.

On the other hand, a Ranger 519 w 225 costs almost as much as a Phoenix 721 with a 250....... this made it an easy choice for me to go Phoenix.

I'd be really tempted to just keep your 118 as having a smaller boat you love will outweigh something new and shiny with a payment....
    Last edited by BDBR; 10-10-2023 at 04:53 PM.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meleagris1 View Post
    The Phoneix over Ranger is an easy decision, made easier after Ranger was sold. Its really hard to beat the ride and layout of the Phoenix, except with a longer Phoenix. Also I can't say enough about the company - big reason I am buying my second new Phoenix now.

Merc v SHO - I am still struggling with this. I ordered my new boat with a Merc - I wanted to give the USA a shot and my first ever bass boat had a Merc. That said I have seen personally more issues with them, and the two SHO's I had were both flawless. Time will tell if I made the right decision. If not I will be back into an SHO.
    Mercury may be an American company but they are out of touch with American values. Namely modifying engines to get more power out of them, which has been a pastime in our culture for nearly 100 years. Mercury is against any tuning or aftermarket modifications done to their motors, where as Yamaha is fine with it. It is pretty sad when a Japanese company understands the American culture better than an American company does.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast