SHIMMING L/UNIT DRIVE SHAFT 1B069886

Morning all, newbie to L/Unit rebuilds so I've got some questions as I learn. First off "YES" I have all the right tools as required by the Mercury manual.

That being said, I don't have enough clearance at the bottom of the pinion shaft. Manual states (note 11) to add shims to gain clearance. But that's not possible as the only shims used on the drive shaft is to space the bearing cup upward and not the roller bearing itself which would raise the shaft. Can someone explain this to me because I think the manual is not correct or I'm not getting something here.

Thanks
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 10-03-2023 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Copyright
    Gary

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.......

S.W. Ohio

2. Member
    flip the gearcase so the d,shaft points straight down.

Quote Originally Posted by massbays View Post
    flip the gearcase so the d,shaft points straight down.
    Where is that written in the manual ????????????????
    Gary

S.W. Ohio

4. Member
    the drive shaft bearing cup is what you adjust to obtain correct pinion depth the shimms do that ,,,,, the gears in that gearcase are designed to push aprt when engine is runnig ,,,,, sooooooo you have to instal the preload tool p/n 14311a04 onto drive shaft to simulate running condition / pulling up on drive shaft to obtain .025 tolerance ,,,,,,,, thats the correct way to do it this should be outlined in your manuwel ,,, in your tool kit post a pic of this kit it has big ol spring , collar with big nuts set screw plate and bearings
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Banned
    USA REMINDER- This forum is PRIMARILY for 2-stroke 130hp and under!
    Please be sure to take a moment to make sure you're in the CORRECT Forum for your engine. While we're all very happy to assist, I did notice a few moments ago that 10 of the first 12 threads in this forum were for engines covered elsewhere.

There is a reminder pinned up at the top of the Forum... with descriptions to help clarify what is covered where.

Copying it here as well- Thank you for your assistance!

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

It will help you to receive faster, and more accurate responses if you will post your questions in the appropriate forum:

Mercury Motors (this forum)
    TWO STROKE models (Less than 135 hp).

Mercury - 2.0/ 2.4/ 2.5 Liter High Performance
    For discussions related to 2.0/ 2.4/ 2.5L Two Stroke motors (Carb, EFI, Optimax or Racing).

Mercury - 3 Liter & 3 Liter High Performance
    For discussions related to 3L Two Stroke motors (XS, ProXS Optimax, EFI, or Racing)

Mercury - 4 Stroke / Verado
    For discussions related to ALL Mercury 4 Stroke Engines.

For fastest/most-accurate assistance, please choose the correct forum.

Thanks!

6. Member
    thats right GARY you better start using v6 forum one more down , get a whoopin
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Quote Originally Posted by acesover View Post
    USA REMINDER- This forum is PRIMARILY for 2-stroke 130hp and under!
    Please be sure to take a moment to make sure you're in the CORRECT Forum for your engine. While we're all very happy to assist, I did notice a few moments ago that 10 of the first 12 threads in this forum were for engines covered elsewhere.

There is a reminder pinned up at the top of the Forum... with descriptions to help clarify what is covered where.

Copying it here as well- Thank you for your assistance!

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

It will help you to receive faster, and more accurate responses if you will post your questions in the appropriate forum:

Mercury Motors (this forum)
    TWO STROKE models (Less than 135 hp).

Mercury - 2.0/ 2.4/ 2.5 Liter High Performance
    For discussions related to 2.0/ 2.4/ 2.5L Two Stroke motors (Carb, EFI, Optimax or Racing).

Mercury - 3 Liter & 3 Liter High Performance
    For discussions related to 3L Two Stroke motors (XS, ProXS Optimax, EFI, or Racing)

Mercury - 4 Stroke / Verado
    For discussions related to ALL Mercury 4 Stroke Engines.

For fastest/most-accurate assistance, please choose the correct forum.

Thanks!
    Thanks for explaining, but since I'm not the only offender, maybe the titles need to be reworded to make it clearer as this motor (150 HP) is anything but a "HIGH PERFORMANCE" motor.
    Gary

S.W. Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    the drive shaft bearing cup is what you adjust to obtain correct pinion depth the shimms do that ,,,,, the gears in that gearcase are designed to push aprt when engine is runnig ,,,,, sooooooo you have to instal the preload tool p/n 14311a04 onto drive shaft to simulate running condition / pulling up on drive shaft to obtain .025 tolerance ,,,,,,,, thats the correct way to do it this should be outlined in your manuwel ,,, in your tool kit post a pic of this kit it has big ol spring , collar with big nuts set screw plate and bearings
    It's a homemade version of the OEM
    Last edited by Nikon Man; 09-30-2023 at 09:20 AM.
    Gary

S.W. Ohio

9. Member
    now we cookin with grease , does my explain make sense about preload on drive shaft ,,,, that sure looks like a 2.5 200 gearcase

Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    now we cookin with grease , does my explain make sense about preload on drive shaft ,,,, that sure looks like a 2.5 200 gearcase
    Yes sir, perfect sense. Case is from a bone stock 2005 Merc/Nitro XR6 one owner boat, that's not saying it wasn't changed during that time for some reason
    Gary

S.W. Ohio

11. Member
    theyre the same

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Make sure you load that spring pretty good... the OEM tool has a threaded nut and we turn it down (compressing spring) an additional 1"+ to simulate normal loading of the pinion and bearing.

The roller is seated UPWARDS into the bearing, so adding shims under the race will indeed RAISE the pinion.

I'll move your post to the 2.5L Forum for ya, Gary. Would be nice to change titles but it's not that simple as it would affect every post and link going back into the early 2000's.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor