1997 461vs re-power with 200HP?

I have a ‘97 461vs that’s in great shape with its original ‘96 Evinrude Intruder 150. I love the boat and the Evinrude is in great shape and pushes the boat up to about 55 MPH. The hull plate on my boat shows a max HP of 175. I’m not really a performance nut and 55MPH is plenty fast, so I’m not looking for big power. I love the Intruder but it is a fuel pig and guzzles gas like a keg at a frat party.

I have a chance to get a 200HP DI 2-stroke that’s in great shape for a really good deal. I know 4-stroke is the deal these days, but this engine is low hours and in great shape. My fuel economy should increase by about 30% with a DI and running non-ethanol fuel at $5.20/gallon a 30% increase means a lot. I could get decent $$ out of my intruder and could come out pretty well in the overall deal.

So tell me straight, will this hull handle a 200 HP? Was the 175 rating a product of the tournament max ratings back in the 90’s and not necessarily a physical limit of the hull? I see plenty other 18’ boats rated for 200 and even 225 so it seems odd this solid Ranger is limited to a 175. I don’t want to create an unsafe situation, but if this hull can handle a little more HP, this engine would be a chance to greatly improve my fuel economy.

Let me know if a 200HP on this boat is reasonable or if I’m pushing my limits.

Thanks.

2. Member
    I run a 250 pro xs on my 518. Rated for a 200. At 60 I’m purring along and sipping fuel. Weight difference for me was nil. Same here got a good deal on her. I would rather run 3/4 throttle instead of not enough power. No one says you need to run it wfo. Had a 487vs which needed more than a 200

3. Member
    I was thinking along those lines too. 60-65 is probably a safe max speed for this hull and the 200 could
    hit that easily with throttle to spare.

The first thing I think of when seeing a boat over its max HP is can it still be insured? Also, resale will be tough, as well as entering certain tourneys where you have to list your boat/motor.

Just some things to take into consideration…

Migs

5. Member
    It will be fine with a 200, you can get a new 200hp capacity plate also.

6. BBC SPONSOR Pro's Choice Pete's Avatar
    Do not over power your boat no matter how tempting. If you were ever in an accident and it was your fault the attorney's would have a field day.
    Pro's Choice Marine's Facebook Page
    Pete's Ranger Channel
    Click on the banner to check out our website!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro's Choice Pete View Post
    Do not over power your boat no matter how tempting. If you were ever in an accident and it was your fault the attorney's would have a field day.
    Even if it wasn't your fault, some lawyers would still have a field day.

8. BBC SPONSOR Pro's Choice Pete's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsch View Post
    Even if it wasn't your fault, some lawyers would still have a field day.
    Very true!
    Pete's Ranger Channel

9. Member
    So every hop up car parts company should go out of business for fear.

10. BBC SPONSOR Pro's Choice Pete's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ranger487vs View Post
    So every hop up car parts company should go out of business for fear.
    That's totally different. Cars do not have U.S. Coast Guard horsepower capacity plates.
    Pete's Ranger Channel

11. Member
    Is that a law ?

12. Member
    So reflashing a sho is ok

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro's Choice Pete View Post
    Any examples or are you telling ghost stories?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Migs View Post
    The first thing I think of when seeing a boat over its max HP is can it still be insured? Also, resale will be tough, as well as entering certain tourneys where you have to list your boat/motor.

Just some things to take into consideration…

Migs
    I’ve never been in a tournament where the organizers checked motors against hull plates, but I guess there are some that might. I’m not about pushing limits too far, but just have a hard time believing 175 is the max for a 461. That’s why I asked if anyone knew if that was just a relic from the 150 limit of the old pro tourneys. Plus, the 200 Etec I can get is in fantastic condition and I can get it for a really good deal. It’s a way I can significantly increase fuel economy

15. Member
    18 footers didn’t come with 200s as an option until about 15 years ago or less when boats started getting wider. The 518 back in the late 80s was kinda different as it was an 18 footer with setback to bring it to 19’. It was still wider and heavier than a 461. Todays 18 footers are “bigger” than yesterdays 18s. Wider, heavier, deeper, ect. Those coast guard plates aren’t just “made up”. Not saying your boat can’t handle a 200, there’s just a bunch of reasons like Pete mentioned to not do it. If you are on body of water that has coast guard and they pull you over…that’s another reason.