Thread: 1995 488vs

1995 488vs

Purchased a 488vs with an XRI 200 on it. Has a trophy plus prop and it runs good but will not push itself on the trailer when loading. Should I remove the plugs and put holes in the plugs. It has a hydraulic jack plate. I have tried with the jack plate raised up all the and lowered and at different trim angles. Any suggestions? Would like to make it load on trailer without having to come in so hot.

2. Great Lakes Captain RangerTim619's Avatar
    Put the trailer deeper in the water ?
    Ranger 619 * Honda 200* Minn Kota* Humminbird *Garmin
    Fenwick *Abu Garcia

3. Member
    When I do that then the back end of the boat is not sitting centered and I can not get it centered without backing back down in until it floats then pull up and hope it centered itself. I always power loaded the other boat no issues.

4. Member
    Some 4 blades do that. A 3 blade tempest works fine for me. I had a 487 different launches it loaded different

5. Member
    Does it struggle to get out of the hole too?

1990 Ranger 362V Yamaha Pro-V 150
    Old Town Predator MinnKota

6. Member
    Had an xri also weak bottom end. Try raising your engine on hole shot and lower it back when you’re up. 4 blades like to run higher.

7. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    2.5’s have no low end grunt. Make sure you wet your bunks all the way to the end then pull trailer back out to desired depth. I would however go a little deeper with the trailer.

It’s fine to have the back end of the boat floating. Just pull forward slowly outa the water and it should settle down exactly where it needs to be.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by H2O_Fowl View Post
    2.5’s have no low end grunt. Make sure you wet your bunks all the way to the end then pull trailer back out to desired depth. I would however go a little deeper with the trailer.

It’s fine to have the back end of the boat floating. Just pull forward slowly outa the water and it should settle down exactly where it needs to be.
    Yep this was a common issue w/ the 2.5. When I bought my ‘02 518vx / Opti, a friend of mine bought the same rig but w/ a 2.5. He had the same issue while mine would load just fine. Do what H2O said. Just ease out when dragging the trailer up.
    2006 Ranger Z20 / 225HP Merc Pro XS

9. Member
    Ok thanks for all the input. It gets out of the hole fine imo. I raise the jack plate all the up then start lowering it as it starts coming up on plane. So I will try bringing boat on trailer out of water slower.

10. Member
    Trophy's are not known for their power loading ability. Had the same problem w/my 1994 488vs 200 Xri when using the small bore trophy. The large bore and slightly larger diameter Trophy I had was better, as was the Tempest and Fury's I had along the way.