1999 mercury 175 efi S# 0g944201

i have been having a problem with low idle and starting, anyone know how to idle up the motor, I am setting at the dock running between 250 and 400 rpm's, help would be appreciated.

thanks, in advance.

2. Banned
    It will help you to receive faster, and more accurate responses if you will post your questions in the appropriate forum:

Mercury Motors (this forum)
    TWO STROKE models (Less than 135 hp).

Mercury - 2.0/ 2.4/ 2.5 Liter High Performance
    For discussions related to 2.0/ 2.4/ 2.5L Two Stroke motors (Carb, EFI, Optimax or Racing).

Mercury - 3 Liter & 3 Liter High Performance
    For discussions related to 3L Two Stroke motors (XS, ProXS Optimax, EFI, or Racing)

Mercury - 4 Stroke / Verado
    For discussions related to ALL Mercury 4 Stroke Engines.

For fastest/most-accurate assistance, please choose the correct forum.

Thanks!

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Moving to the correct (2.5L) forum for you.

Pretty hard to keep one of those spinning that low. Idle speed is set via the throttle plate stop screw hidden between the VST and the Fuel Management (intake) Assembly.

Really a good idea to verify WHY it's having to be adjusted, and to check ALL the Sync-n-Link settings and make those adjustments to return the engine to proper settings/setup.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Also might be good to verify tachometer is correct, can use a timing light with an rpm read out or a small induction tach like a Tiny Tach, or a spare outboard tach.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

5. Member
    ^^^^^+1
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Moving to the correct (2.5L) forum for you.

Pretty hard to keep one of those spinning that low. Idle speed is set via the throttle plate stop screw hidden between the VST and the Fuel Management (intake) Assembly.

Really a good idea to verify WHY it's having to be adjusted, and to check ALL the Sync-n-Link settings and make those adjustments to return the engine to proper settings/setup.
    Plus 100
    I would not change that idle screw adjustment till everything else is verified to be working correctly, they very rarly need adjustment, usually the root cause is something else
    Go thru all the basics first.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

7. Member
    Need to find a 2 stroke mechanic,NC or SC
    , alarm goes beep,beep,beeps, new water pump, it does have a used ecm ,been working great, great water pressure, it has been a great motor for years s#0g944201
    Last edited by lifetime1962; 09-27-2023 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Update

8. Member
    EUROPEAN MARINE accept no substitutions
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    This would be a little older than what we normally service but if the items we discussed on the phone don't get you squared away, let me know and we will try to set up an appointment to check it over.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    This would be a little older than what we normally service but if the items we discussed on the phone don't get you squared away, let me know and we will try to set up an appointment to check it over.
    had to have starter fixed, will try, I did take off oiler and check to see if shaft turns, it does, will let you know of outcome soon.

11. Member
    I have installed new starter, it great, shaft does turn on the oiler, did find out why it bogs down passenger side no fire any of them, going to try power pack and see if fixes all my problems. will let you know..

12. Member
    good news, problems fixed ana now it is idling at the right rpm's. heck it could have been running on 4 or 5 cylinders for a while, 67 mph @ 5800 rpm's, big change. thanks for all your help

13. Member
    just a quick update , All running great , idles @ 650 rpm's , running mid 60's @ 5600 rpm's , might get more when i put the kickdown bracket on the talon i bought , it won't go in my shop so need kick down so i can raise it up and lower when i put in the shop , other than that running great. thanks for the help all , thanks don

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar