Recessed TM Tray

Just curious, in your experience, what the cost might be to have a recessed trolling pedal tray installed? The boat is aluminum with an aluminum deck. Just wondering what it might cost in labor to have it done. Calling today to make sure it doesn't void any warranty before finding someone to do it.
    2021 Vexus AVX 181, Mercury 60CT 4S, MK Ultrex, HB Helix 7 MSI and MDI

I've installed 6 of them myself and would do it for free if you were closer. Labor only I'd say $100 is fair, it's pretty simple.

3. Member
    With Ultrex check it after install. You may want to raise the foot pedal a little bit. I find a half inch to an inch makes it much easier to hit the prop and north buttons. I use seaboard or King board below the pedal as a spacer to lift it.
    2020 Ranger 521L, Merc 250 Pro XS

Talked to one place so far and it was way way way more than 100. Better keep calling around.

5. Member
    Aluminum could be an issue. May take some reinforcing. Serious $$, if so.

Fiberglass is usually easy. 4 for me.

6. Member
    It’s not a hard job if you have any mechanical ability. Harbor freight jig saw and a couple decent blades some masking tape. Measure twice (maybe 3 or 4 times). Check under the deck to see what you are cutting. Believe me you will care about the job and your boat a lot more than the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Limitfish View Post
    Believe me you will care about the job and your boat a lot more than the shop.
    That's a true statement. Boat is only 2 years old so I am pretty nervous about doing it myself but might have to. Also want to make sure it doesn't void any warranty before Iake a final decision. Thanks.

I'd contact Vexus to find out if it's feasible without diminishing the integrity of the deck or if there are any cross braces that may be in the way.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
    With Ultrex check it after install. You may want to raise the foot pedal a little bit. I find a half inch to an inch makes it much easier to hit the prop and north buttons. I use seaboard or King board below the pedal as a spacer to lift it.
    Funny, I’m the exact opposite. I accidentally hit the buttons all the time in my buddies boat with the pedal raised. I prefer my pedal level so the buttons are slightly below and I have to deliberately hit them

Double check and make sure the floor is aluminum. I recently did a 2019 Bass Tracker and it was a wood floor.
    Allison XB21 2+2 with Mercury 300R

11. Member
    Agree with a lot of the above posts. I had been contemplating it for two years because my lower back was killing me with one foot raised so high on the Ultrex pedal when it was flush on the deck. I couldn’t fish more than a few hours before my back ached too much.

I brought the boat in to a very good shop and they didn’t have an Ultrex tray that would fit my aluminum boat model due to the deck hatch layout. I was also very leary of cutting my deck as I had to cut through a main support brace to install the tray. I posted pics and measurements of my deck layout and measurements here on BBC. I got lots of good info and advice.

It took me awhile to find the right tray, and had to modify it some to make it fit. I carefully made a cardboard cutout template. Placed it on the deck, then measured, measured, and measured again. It is an aluminum boat/deck, so I felt worse case scenario, if I needed to reinforce I could hire a welder or just use the inflated basketball trick under the deck.

Finally gained the courage to do it one day. It really was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Once the metal tray was bolted to the floor, the deck is solid. But I did put an inflated basketball under it just for good measure since it’s not taking up usable compartment space.

Fish all day now and my lower back thanks me for it. I am getting older, but the Ultrex pedal is so tall I think it magnified the problem. In my case, if I didn’t do it myself, this is one of those things that I would spend more money on to have someone else do it.

orig_d47e92565703a34a6b92c83741e2ea9b15329ac0.jpg
    off vexus' website AVX181. not overly complicated unless structual items need to be addresses.
    Chris Hawkins

Ranger 520VX / Mercury Optimax 225