Facebook Marketplace

I have had great success by listing a few items on Marketplace probably because I always price them to sell. Yesterday I listed a girls 26” 3 speed bike and now I’m just getting SCAM buys who ALL asked me to call or text them because they want to buy it today at my full price. When I ask what their location is so we can meet up for the transaction they either go silent or repeat to call/text them which I will never do. Somehow having my cell number is important to the scammers, anyone know why ?

Bottom line they turned Marketplace into a ship hole….SAD

2. Member
    It's the beginning of stealing your identity. Once they have your phone number (if it's a land line) reverse lookup gives them your address and we're off and running. Cell phone, I don't know. There are plenty of apps out there that let you use a fake phone #. Any time I'm selling something I use Burner. Costs a dollar or so, but protects my #.

3. Member
    GB thanks for that info

4. Member
    Over the last year or so, I’ve sold a bunch of stuff on marketplace. Fortunately, the scammers stick out and are easy to ignore. Before you respond to anyone, always go check their profile. If they’re real folks, their profile will look normal. If they’re scammers, they’ll have few to No friends and few to No posts.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Over the last year or so, I’ve sold a bunch of stuff on marketplace. Fortunately, the scammers stick out and are easy to ignore. Before you respond to anyone, always go check their profile. If they’re real folks, their profile will look normal. If they’re scammers, they’ll have few to No friends and few to No posts.
    Yes, that’s the first thing I do after asking them their location.

6. Member
    I've had really good luck selling a multitude of different items on FB marketplace. Works really well IMO
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

7. Member
    Hope to find out about Marketplace as have bot been on FB for 14 years.

FB Marketplace is one of the best selling platforms……just gotta know when it is a scammer. Pretty easy to spot. I first ask them to call me and when they have an excuse why they can’t, I delete their response and block their number. If they won’t talk to you, it is definitely a scammer.
    Dallas Cowboys…..Eventual Super Bowl Champions

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post

I recently set up an account to sell on marketplace. My fears are that without a track record its a no go so I have not listed anything. MY GF has been active on it since it started so I will list on her account. I have no intention of chatting with anyone. There are a coupls guys from school i would not mind getting in touch with. Been close to 50 years.

10. Member
    My wife lists a few things for me from time to time. Scammers are thick and so are low life’s and inconsiderate people. Last 2 people were supposed to pick up something this week and both no message and no show. You know damn well almost everyone has their damn phone attached to them like it’s life support, yet don’t have the balls to message they aren’t coming or they changed their mind. I so hate people.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

11. Member
    I've listed a few items on there and had decent success, but the scammers keep crawling out of the woodwork. One of their favorite tricks is to ask for your cell # so they can text you a code which you text back to them. This is allegedly to make sure that you (the seller) is legit. Usually, these messages will come just a short time after you list the item. The person will almost always show that they just recently joined either FB or the group your listing is going in.

I have tires for sale there and I got a woman that messaged me the first day and said she lives too far but would send payment and have her son pick them up. I replied, go scam someone else.
    I check their profile on FB to see if they have any info on themselves, if not, I don't bother with them. If anyone asks for my phone or addy I just ignore them.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO