Still getting interference on Helix

I get interference on my Helix 10 when using DI when using the trolling motor. I replaced the fuse in the Minn Kota (it was blown ) The Helix is powered by my cranking battery. (31 age x-2)I disconnected the jumper cable from my cranking battery to the trolling motor battery's (3 Agms), thinking that may have been a cause. Still getting interference.

Do you have an on-board battery charger that is connected to the trolling motor batterys and the cranking battery?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P.;[URL="tel:13162264"
    13162264[/URL]]Do you have an on-board battery charger that is connected to the trolling motor batterys and the cranking battery?
    Wayne,
    yes I do

Quote Originally Posted by VH5150 View Post
    Wayne,
    yes I do
    Disconnect the battery charger cable from the starting battery to see if RFI is eliminated.

If so, do you have this on the starting battery charger cable?

Charger Choke for Interference - Humminbird (johnsonoutdoors.com)
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Disconnect the battery charger cable from the starting battery to see if RFI is eliminated.

If so, do you have this on the starting battery charger cable?

Charger Choke for Interference - Humminbird (johnsonoutdoors.com)
    Wayne,

I will definitely check this out ! How do you install charger choke?

Thank you

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VH5150 View Post
    Wayne,

I will definitely check this out ! How do you install charger choke?

Thank you
    https://humminbird-help.johnsonoutdo...r-Interference

Thank you

8. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    You use the choke if you have a Trolling Motor, an onboard charger, and are having interference. If you are getting trolling motor interference, then it needs to be installed between the charger and the battery you have your fishing electronics connected to.

Sometimes Trolling Motor interference can feed back through the charger and make its way to the electronics battery even though the charger isn't being used. That is when you need to use the choke.

Beware because there is all kinds of incorrect information in various "Fakebook" posts about where to install the choke. It has to go between the charger and battery you are using for your electronics.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

Just want to make certain before I cut wires, that this is the correct way to install.

Screen Shot 2023-09-22 at 4.44.00 PM.png
    Attached Files Attached Files

Don’t cut any wires till you confirm that the interference goes away if you disconnect your charger leads from your electronics. If it does go away, the choke could help. If it doesn’t go away, the choke will do nothing as the source of your RFI is not leakage across the charger.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

11. Member
    If they’re used, check zip ties on the transducer cable along tolling motor shaft for pinching or look too tight.

I was having issues with SI interference on my Solix G2 at the bow only when using the trolling motor. At first it was intermittent but got worse as time went on. Had it in 2 different shops & they couldn’t figure it out. One put a choke on (free of charge) & that did nothing for the interference. Luckily, we could see the interference whether the transducer was in the water or not. It got to really bugging me so I started looking at the transducer & noticed the original installer had the zip ties on the trolling motor shaft & transducer cable cranked down & pinching the cable jacket. Snipped them off 1 at a time & the interference disappeared. Unfortunately, the cable was ruined - tried re-zip tying without the pinching but I assume the cable jacket/insulation had been compromised because the interference would eventually always return. The next year, while on a fall trip to Eufala we decided to stop by HBird’s office down there & see if we could borrow a new transducer to see if the interference would go away before dropping hundreds more on a new one. They weren’t allowed to come outside to our boat but they did lend me a new transducer & I tested it out in the parking lot & the interference completely went away. Upon going back inside to return the transducer, the woman who was helping us told me, "Merry early Xmas. You just keep that, hon. You’ve been through enough with that thing." Not many people like that these days.

Thousands of dollars in electronics, multiple trips to professionals & zip ties were the culprits. Sometimes the simplest things get overlooked multiple times.

Good luck on that, I went through it about 6 years ago when I installed my Ultrex and Helix 10 SI. I would have to go back into the archives to remember all the details but I do remember trying every damn thing that anyone suggested. Finally I talked to a tech at MK and he sent me a choke that was a beast....must have weigh a pound. I had to re-wire my whole TM plug set up and stash the giant choke behind my front bow panel. It fixed it and I never thought about it again.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    Good luck on that, I went through it about 6 years ago when I installed my Ultrex and Helix 10 SI. I would have to go back into the archives to remember all the details but I do remember trying every damn thing that anyone suggested. Finally I talked to a tech at MK and he sent me a choke that was a beast....must have weigh a pound. I had to re-wire my whole TM plug set up and stash the giant choke behind my front bow panel. It fixed it and I never thought about it again.
    That is the TMC-1. I used that when I had Motor Guide trolling motors.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    That is the TMC-1. I used that when I had Motor Guide trolling motors.
    That sounds correct. I'm sure you don't remember but you were mucho help with that problem. Thank You in case I never did say it before.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.