Raystown Lake Information

I wanted to take my daughter and son for some decent smallmouth fishing. I’m coming from Maryland just over the line south of Gettysburg / Littlestown area. What is the best travel route to take, best area to launch, etc.? I’ve driven out Route 30 all the way out past Bedford to do some Dirt Bike / ATV riding at Mountain Ride. Some of that route I’d like to avoid if possible hauling a bass boat up and down those mountains. I’ve read smallmouth fishing is better on the northern sections - any hazards or things I need to be concerned about on the water? Greatly appreciate any information you can share.
    Rich
    Westminster, Maryland
    Champion 198 Elite DC / Yamaha VMax

2. Member
    If you want to avoid the mountains totally you almost need to come through Chambersburg and Shippensburg to the turnpike. Get off at Fort Littleton then straight up 522 to mount union. From there putting in at Snyder’s run makes the most sense. It’s going to take a little longer than running 30 and putting in mid lake at tatman run or James creek but if you want to fish the upper end for smallmouth Snyder’s is probably the best bet. Id wait another few weeks for the crazies to clear out. Usually by the end of the month it’ll start getting a lot better again

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hchamberlin1 View Post
    If you want to avoid the mountains totally you almost need to come through Chambersburg and Shippensburg to the turnpike. Get off at Fort Littleton then straight up 522 to mount union. From there putting in at Snyder’s run makes the most sense. It’s going to take a little longer than running 30 and putting in mid lake at tatman run or James creek but if you want to fish the upper end for smallmouth Snyder’s is probably the best bet. Id wait another few weeks for the crazies to clear out. Usually by the end of the month it’ll start getting a lot better again
    I agree with this. Wait until Oct. This cold spell should limit pleasure boaters from here on out. Hopefully u run into a big school chasing bait or some stripers. Spring is by far superior than fall imo but that's 6-7 months away.