Question Clogged Water intake

Have a 2022 Merc 250 ProXS, 3B140552 that frequently overheats due to running in long beds of hydrilla and sucking in grass remnants. I'm assuming it's the water intakes on the gearcase nose cone as usually can see grass sticking out of those holes after I load boat onto trailer. I have to keep one eye on my temp gauge while running and come off a plane as soon as temp exceeds 150 deg. Shifting into reverse fixes the problem. Is there any way to prevent the low pick up from getting clogged? Friend has a Yamaha SHO and does not have that problem.

Yes, there is don't run it weed beds!
    If you have a hyd jack plate lift motor as high as can without losing water pressure
    Same goes for trimming motor up.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +2

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Yes, there is don't run it weed beds!
    If you have a hyd jack plate lift motor as high as can without losing water pressure
    Same goes for trimming motor up.
    The navigation channels on Headwaters lake in central FL are frequently blocked making it necessary to detour to the flats full of grass. I'm running with my jackplate half way up. Was just wondering if anyone came up with a creative idea to keep the grass from clogging the intakes.

5. Member
    I blew my first motor in my younger days trying to get thru some clogged channel, I only had to go 100 yards to break thru when the over heat alarm went off ,never got back on plane but I made it thru