Evinrude LU Gear Oil

I ordered the HPFpro from Leaders RPM but received the XPS gear lube. I just want to make sure it's the same stuff in a different label. Do any of you guys know?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

2. Member
    Same stuff, they relabeled about 4 or 5 years ago

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasD View Post
    Same stuff, they relabeled about 4 or 5 years ago
    Is it ?
    I don't think so but I'm not 100% sure. The "newer" XPS is suppose to be a synthetic formula where the HPF is not.

https://www.amazon.ca/BRP-XPS-Synthe.../dp/B07BLJ5YS4

https://www.amazon.com/OMC-Johnson-E.../dp/B001KYB8HY

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Guys like Seahorse, Bighare2 and myself that service Johnson/Evinrude engines for a living say it is the same stuff just relabeled just like the two stroke oil.
    The BRP-synthetic link you posted is for the CAN-AM product line of ATV's.

HPF Pro is the proper semi-synthetic blend outboard motor gearcase oil for Johnsons and Evinrudes

The BRP XPS-Synthetic oil link that Fireball posted is not for Evinrude outboard motors.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

Seahorse, is the XPS that's on the right side of the clip I posted the same as the Johnson Evinrude that's on the left side of the clip.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Not Seahorse but to answer your question yes.

Quote Originally Posted by tdt91 View Post
    Seahorse, is the XPS that's on the right side of the clip I posted the same as the Johnson Evinrude that's on the left side of the clip.

You are correct.

My post (#5) concerned the link that Fireball posted which showed the wrong gear oil for an outboard.
    https://www.amazon.ca/BRP-XPS-Synthe.../dp/B07BLJ5YS4
    -----

From BRP Evinrude about new XPS oil container design:

October 4, 2017

You may have noticed our updated [oil] packaging.

We understand that adjusting the branding of our well known oil can be a sensitive change to the market. In this regard I felt it was important to provide you with some background.

The XPS brand is a well known market leader in the Powersports industry. The XPS brand has a rich heritage of performance, reliability and has been perfect symbiosis with BRP vehicles. Our Evinrude products represent the same standards and values. It made sense to create a XPS Marine brand to coincide with our current XPS line-up of oils. Along with updated packaging, you will notice an extensive marketing and advertising effort that will assist in growing the XPS brand and educating our mutual consumers.

The packaging has been changed to align with our entire line-up of BRP XPS oil products. The new packaging presents an extremely premium product that looks great on the shelf.

All of our oil products will keep the same XD sub-brand and color coding (gold, blue, and red) that the market has grown accustomed to. The oil formulation that our mutual consumers have trusted to keep their Evinrude and Johnson outboards running clean all these years will remain unchanged.
    -----

10. Member
    Is there another suitable gear case oil (g2) if there isn’t any HPF readily available? Looking for something possibly local that I can use and no I am not looking for anything cheap.
    2017 Ranger 518 w/ Evinrude 150HO G2

11. Member
    This is the only gear oil recommended by Evinrude. The formulation does allow a percentage of water intrusion to be be emulsified into the oil without damaging the internal gears and bearings, and to withstand the 300 hour service interval. Consider a replacement lower unit costs $5000-$6000. You found it on line at Leaders and it can purchased from Barnacle Bill, the owner of this site.

12. Member
    Another option and will probably get bashed but I don’t care is Amsoil Marine gearcase lube been using it in my Etec and Yamahas for 10+ years with no issues and the engine oil as well.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

13. Member
    Amsoil and Lucas products are fine lubricants.

14. Member
    I went to my local Walmart, and they had the squeeze tubes of the XPS High Performance gear case oil, I was pleasantly surprised. I am not crazy about the tubes, so I just squeeze them into one of my partial HPF quarts and everything was good. Thank you for the information and replies. FWIW they had xd100 for $55/gallon and the 10oz gear case oil tubes were just under $9 each which I didn't think was too bad.
    Last edited by cwalsh; 09-12-2023 at 11:56 AM.
    2017 Ranger 518 w/ Evinrude 150HO G2

Quote Originally Posted by cwalsh View Post
    Is there another suitable gear case oil (g2) if there isn’t any HPF readily available? Looking for something possibly local that I can use and no I am not looking for anything cheap.

If you do not use Evinrude's HPF Pro, then use another well-known brand such as the Mercury/Quicksilver High Performance gear oil but change it every season or 100 hours, whichever comes first.

Do not use the Mercury/Quicksilver Premium Gear Lube
    -----