Tilt and Trim Issue

I have a 2018 Mercury Pro XS and I am having an issue with my tilt and trim. I can tilt it up but then I go back to it and it has leaked down...not sure if this is normal or not I just noticed it this week. Does anybody have any suggestions? Should I go ahead and schedule it to be checked out at the dealer?

Have you checked to see if it needs fluid ??
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

3. Member
    No, not normal. Sounds like you either have low fluid as mentioned above or low pressure caused from air or a leak in the system. The fill cap on my older Ranger is located on top of the steering column... if adding fluid doesn't fix it then yes, take it back to the dealer

Agfee with the above. Then, even if it seems like it's just low, you sort of have to ask yourself why it got low in the first place. They're closed systems and should not "use" tilt and trim fluid. In either case, I suspect there's a leak. Fortunately it's usually simple, either a loose fill cap (hopefully!) or replacing seals. Replacing seals isn't a tough thing to do and that's usually the only thing that needs to be done when a Mercury has this issue unless something has physically damaged one of the tilt or trim rams.

One way you might be able to isolate it is to see whether it leaks down no matter what position it's in, or only if it's on the tilt ram or trim rams. If the level is low or there's a lot of air in the system that might not be possible to determine, but given that it sounds like a new issue this could help: If it only leaks down from the tilt until it hits the trim rams, really strong evidence it's a bad seal on the tilt cylinder. If it doesn't leak down when tilted up above the trim rams but does leak down when on the trim rams, really strong evidence that you've got an issue with seals on the trim cylinders.

Quote Originally Posted by BDBR View Post
    No, not normal. Sounds like you either have low fluid as mentioned above or low pressure caused from air or a leak in the system. The fill cap on my older Ranger is located on top of the steering column... if adding fluid doesn't fix it then yes, take it back to the dealer
    For trim as well? Or just hydraulic steering?

I thought tilt/trim reservoirs were universally right on the unit itself. Never seen one at the helm, only the steering. I could be totally out of the loop too....
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BDBR View Post
    You don't have tilt and trim fill on the steering column. That would be for hydraulic steering.
    The T/T fluid is filled on the T/T unit. But if it is low, there is a leak. It's a closed system and does not use fluid without a leak.

6. Member
    It's been a while (like 20 years) so maybe I'm mistaken.... my motor was stuck in the trimmed up position and wouldn't go down. From what I remember I filled it from the the steering column...sounds like I'm mistaken and my memory is mixed up with the steering fluid
    Last edited by BDBR; 09-06-2023 at 05:41 PM.

7. Member
    On the older Optimax there is a plastic threaded cap on the driver (starboard) outside of the tilt/trim base bracket. If the motor is tilted up you can twist open this cap (large flathead screwdriver) and it will release the pressure and slowly drop the motor. This works great when your tilt/trim relay (green wire) stops the down function. Voice of experience.

If that cap is accidentally opened/loose you might see what you are experiencing. There is a rubber seal on this as well that might have an issue. Your newer model should have something similar to look for.

Some of the others seals within the system when leaking make it hard to tilt to begin with. In some cases it can cause water intrusion that makes it harder to build enough pressure to raise properly.

Like many of the older boat owners on here… if something we get to learn from with experience. The parts/seals aren’t super expensive so it avoids the Break Out Another Thousand BOAT fun.

The Mercury forum on BBC is really good… if you still can’t figure it out go to that forum. Follow directions (model, serial number etc) and ask the necessary questions. They know a ton and are very helpful.

8. Member
    Thanks for the help guys. I checked all of the caps and they were all tight-I carried it up to the dealer and they called me back and said that it is dropping but according to them not enough for Mercury to replace the tilt/trim unit. The part is $2200 and then add labor to that - he said he checked the fluid and it was full and no leaks could be found. The service manager said it operates better now...guess I will go and try it and then worst case I will order the tilt/trim part and have it repaired.

Thanks,

9. Member
    That would be a pricey repair for a new one. Can these trim units not be rebuilt and resealed?
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Seals are super easy and cheap, but if there are no leaks and it's full, I guess there's no problem with the seals? It doesn't make any sense to me how it could be leaking down while it's full of fluid with no leaks. That combined with "yes, it's messed up but not messed up bad enough for us to do anything about it" sounds like a hack of a dealer to me. We pay $25k+ for a motor, presumably extra for an extended warranty, then while it's still under warranty with a very clear issue, they won't address it because it's not bad enough? That's insane.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

11. Member
    I agree....I was not expecting the service manager to tell me it is not leaking down enough to repair.....

12. Member
    Never heard of that answer before! I would put up a post on the Mercury forum. I would love to hear what Don Weed says!