Thread: UAW guys?

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

UAW guys?

What’s the deal? Y’all going to withdraw services? Seems like you have a lot of leverage with the current supply environment.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...t/70774319007/

2. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    I'm interested on how you guys feel and what you think will happen.
    Thanos was the hero

3. Member
    The part I found interesting was the media spouting that the extra pay and benefits will cost us all more for the products, yet the media said doubling minimum wage would not cause inflated prices prior to Covid. It's the inconsistency that drives me nuts.

As for the strike...that is their right. Don't be surprised to see the companies continue to offshore production.

4. Member
    If the car companies are showing big profits they should b able to come to an agreement. I really would like to see more inventory on the lots. Low inventory is just a way to jack up prices.

5. Member
    We'll see if they back off some of their "demands". Cracks me up four day work week and paid as if it were five. Union or not wouldn't everyone want that deal......In every day world the double digit increases are gone as well.

I get their argument but they better be careful.
    Scott
    2016 Nitro Z20 Pro
    Serial # 2B125401 - 250ProXS DFI/TM2

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    Check out the "known" income and worth of the top UAW heads and how many are in or have been to prison.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ProVle View Post
    Check out the "known" income and worth of the top UAW heads and how many are in or have been to prison.
    That is why we voted for leaders for the first time this past year.....But that is also puting pressure on Fain and his staff to deliver....Maybe a little too much....It is going to be interesting. ..
    There will be a strike....3 percent raises every other year arent really raises if they dont keep up with inflation...According to my SS statement my yearly income is basically the same at Ford as it was 24 years ago...Im a tradesman..Something has to break...
    Stellantis is taking a hard line...So I think it could all start there ..A strike isn't good for anyone, but neither are alot of battles..The membership is as ready as I have ever seen them..People are already lining up side jobs and have saved for a year ..I'll stick to filling my freezer with fish and game..It is a good time of year for that..
    Last edited by brnzbaklvr; 09-06-2023 at 03:18 PM.
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

Quote Originally Posted by ProVle View Post
    They had a rough few years. Changes have been made as to how they select leadership. Hopefully for the better.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/31/b...orruption.html

Don't negotiating committees appointed by the unions negotiate with the companies for contract proposals?

I just don't understand how such a "bad deal" can be put up to vote for union approval if the union reps themselves were involved with these negotiations.

This Shawn Fain guy is not joking around with the more aggressive negotiation style he represents.

I wouldn’t put much faith in uaw to do anything

11. Member
    How many pages will this one go? At least 4 if the Union bashers come along.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brnzbaklvr View Post
    That is why we voted for leaders for the first time this past year.....But that is also puting pressure on Fain and his staff to deliver....Maybe a little too much....It is going to be interesting. ..
    There will be a strike....3 percent raises every other year arent really raises if they dont keep up with inflation...According to my SS statement my yearly income is basically the same at Ford as it was 24 years ago...Im a tradesman..Something has to break...
    Stellantis is taking a hard line...So I think it could all start there ..A strike isn't good for anyone, but neither are alot of battles..The membership is as ready as I have ever seen them..People are already lining up side jobs and have saved for a year ..I'll stick to filling my freezer with fish and game..It is a good time of year for that..
    The only way Fain gets a lot of what the UAW is asking for is to take all 3 out at the same time.
    I,d rather be tried by 12 than be carried by 6

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tfall View Post
    How many pages will this one go? At least 4 if the Union bashers come along.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yatesville88fan View Post
    If the car companies are showing big profits they should b able to come to an agreement. I really would like to see more inventory on the lots. Low inventory is just a way to jack up prices.
    I worked for gm ‘ s biggest aut transport co I just retired this year.
    They have no interest in going back to the way things were before Covid.
    I promise they will use strike to deplete built up inventory so they can continue charging absurd prices for vehicles.
    G M wants to maximize profit off every car and truck so get ready it’s gonna continue to be low in inventory and high prices.

15. Member
    Give a raise more pension. We’ll bail them out!! And the cycle will start all over again

16. Member
    The last two trucks I bought were built in Mexico, I guess that will surely continue.

Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    I know someone at Ford, and Ford has been the only one who has tried to negotiate so far. From what I was told Ford offered raises (average employee would be making $96K a year with NO OT factored in) better benefits, and higher bonuses. Offered a higher starting rate for new employees, and the union just laughed and walked away. Negotiating for what is fair is fine, trying to extort because of the current situation isn't as it will get passed to the consumer.

I put in an order for a work truck back in November and was told yesterday I most likely would not receive it due to Dodge not making anymore govt fleet vehicle (they were going to do a reset and start selling 2025’s in January 24) I think I understood that correct and they were also about to strike. I was given the option of the big horn edition which also would have to be ordered and I would also have to restart the purchasing process hoop jumping.
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

Nobody wants to go to work today and earn less (buying power) than they did for the same work yesterday. The middle and top earners are doing that now. The bottom earners went up, but their buying power hasn't due to inflation. The middle and top earners have to try and catch up (get raises). Sometimes it's another sequence. Sometimes it is disproportionate. Go tell your boss that you need more money to buy Big Macs and Fords! Then he can raise his costs. Feel sorry for those on fixed incomes that retired 10 or 20 years ago. It's been going on forever (so to speak). No one should be surprised.

20. Banned
    Some of the things they are asking for could simply be looked at as "throwaway" items. Things that you drop in order to negotiate. They don't expect to get them and will let them go as part of the give and take of negotiations. One that stands out is that they pay workers if a plant closes. But on the other hand, they probably want this to make it not worth the money to send work abroad. Either way it works out, you can expect to pay more for a vehicle.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast