Sportsman Bay Boat

Anyone have any experience with one of these? Looks like a decent mid-level boat. Nothing fancy but built well.

Couple of my buddies have the Sportsman Brand. You stated it, mid-level, nothing fancy, rear platform panel is subject to breaking (weak design), and the only issue is, in my opinion, they are underpowered. I think an 18' Bay Boat should be rated for ate least a 150.

But if you can locate a deal, they seem to be a decent fishing boat for the coastal area.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

3. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic Bob View Post
    Couple of my buddies have the Sportsman Brand. You stated it, mid-level, nothing fancy, rear platform panel is subject to breaking (weak design), and the only issue is, in my opinion, they are underpowered. I think an 18' Bay Boat should be rated for ate least a 150.

But if you can locate a deal, they seem to be a decent fishing boat for the coastal area.
    Good to know. The one I am currently looking at has a 200 SHO on it which could still be slightly underpowered for a 22'7" boat. I am not really concerned with speed and my current 20' aluminum boat only has a 115 so I know what I will be getting into.

Not for speed, but for power running against the tides or having the acceleration when when "Surfing the Waves". Yes speed it a good thing when having to run from a storm.

If you don't mind, Why do you want a Boat that Big? If you are planning on the big waters 90% of the time, cool. But if you plan on a 50/50 usage between intercoastal waters and the Ocean, you'll find great limitations with a boat that size.

No one boat does it all, so I guess, what type of fishing do you want to do? I know guys that started out with Big water fishing and stayed there and love it. Then there are a bunch I know that started with big water fishing and gave it up for intercoastal / inland. I don't know any that went from inland to big water.

I need to add: I looked real hard at 23' Skeeter Bay, that had the 200 SHO, Twin Power Poles, Trim Tabs, Jack Plate and a 112 Rip Tide. But after getting on it, just too big for me. I was a great boat at a very reasonable price, but just not for me.
    2019 RT 198P
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

5. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic Bob View Post
    Not for speed, but for power running against the tides or having the acceleration when when "Surfing the Waves". Yes speed it a good thing when having to run from a storm.

If you don't mind, Why do you want a Boat that Big? If you are planning on the big waters 90% of the time, cool. But if you plan on a 50/50 usage between intercoastal waters and the Ocean, you'll find great limitations with a boat that size.

No one boat does it all, so I guess, what type of fishing do you want to do? I know guys that started out with Big water fishing and stayed there and love it. Then there are a bunch I know that started with big water fishing and gave it up for intercoastal / inland. I don't know any that went from inland to big water.

I need to add: I looked real hard at 23' Skeeter Bay, that had the 200 SHO, Twin Power Poles, Trim Tabs, Jack Plate and a 112 Rip Tide. But after getting on it, just too big for me. I was a great boat at a very reasonable price, but just not for me.
    Good question. I have a 20' aluminum bass style boat now. With my wife and son it's somewhat crowded when we all fish so wanting to upgrade in size some. I also take friends a lot. I am familiar with a boat this size as up until a month or so ago, we had a 24' Pathfinder that we kept in FL. We sold it to upgrade to an offshore boat. I am wanting this to pull double duty although 90% of it's life will be here in TN fishing fresh water. I love the center console layout and find it much more ergonomic over a traditional bass boat layout.

Awesome. Good luck with your search and let us know what you end up with.
    2019 RT 198P
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

7. Member
    It won't be underpowered. I had a 22' Nauticstar with a 150 Yamaha and it was fine unless you absolutely loaded it all the way down. I'm talking 5-6 people and full livewells. That's the only time there was ever any trouble getting on plane but other than that it ran great. Saltwater boating is drastically different from freshwater. Even if you took a 300 and put it on that boat it would only run 55 on a great day. You'll run mid 40's with a 200. I could run 42 with my 150. The only thing is, it is EXTREMELY rare to be able to do that. There is a constant chop on saltwater that rarely allows you to run wide open. Most of your time will be spent in the 4500-5000 rpm range, generally on the lower end of that. It gives you the best cruise speed and fuel efficiency.

8. Moderator
    Thank you for the info. I’m not to worried about it. Not sure the deal is going to work out anyway. They aren’t wanting to budge on price and trailer is on pretty bad shape from the salt.