Retro are Vintage

When I was in college back in the early seventies I had a 1970 Triumph 650 twin motorcycle.
    over the years I have missed it. Each to his own but I always liked the British bikes.
    I am considering getting a vintage restored British Bike but then I see the British retro twin cylinder bikes that seem to have the looks and feel of the vintage bikes with today’s technology. A brand new Royal Enfield 650 twin can be bought for less than $7,000. A lot of fun for a small amount of money but something keeps making me want to go with the vintage.
    If you were buying anything would you go with the vintage or the retro that was based on the vintage?

2. Member
    What's your goal with the bike? How much do you plan to ride, etc.? For collector quality, the vintage. For daily riding, the new models.

3. Member
    One word that should always be kept in mind on old British iron...............LUCAS, new Triumphs and Enfield twins are great machines, trouble free. The singles are very reliable....

4. Member
    I have a 1988 and a 1989 Honda NX125. One has less than 2300 miles and one has less than 200 miles on it. I keep them maintained but never ride more than a block around my neighborhood. I have a modern Triumph Tiger that I ride a lot.
    honda nxs.jpg

5. Member
    Not bikes but same philosophy. I know guys that have their original 60s muscle cars and they hardly get miles on them. I know guys that have retro modern versions and they beat them for every thrill they can get out of them. They are new and made to run wild.

Quote Originally Posted by Keoweefishing View Post
    What's your goal with the bike? How much do you plan to ride, etc.? For collector quality, the vintage. For daily riding, the new models.
    Good advice.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geodebasser View Post
    When I was in college back in the early seventies I had a 1970 Triumph 650 twin motorcycle.
    over the years I have missed it. Each to his own but I always liked the British bikes.
    I am considering getting a vintage restored British Bike but then I see the British retro twin cylinder bikes that seem to have the looks and feel of the vintage bikes with today’s technology. A brand new Royal Enfield 650 twin can be bought for less than $7,000. A lot of fun for a small amount of money but something keeps making me want to go with the vintage.
    If you were buying anything would you go with the vintage or the retro that was based on the vintage?
    How vintage? My son-in-law recently acquired an old (05ish) Triumph Bonneville that had been in storage for several years and he’s chasing a “no spark” issue on it and intends to sell when running. Paint (black) and condition are in very good condition but needs a new saddle - plans to replace with leather. Let me know if you’re interested…

8. Member
    Older bike if you do your own work (or know someone who can..), newer bike if not. Most shops/dealers won't work on a model that's got more than 10 years or so on it. They aren't trained on them.
    "Absence of Evidence does not mean Evidence of Absence."
    - Dr. Carl Sagan

I love the looks of the vintage bikes. When is the last time you rode? The streets are not the same as they were before smart phones. I got rid of my Harley for that reason.

10. Member
    My uncle purchased the pictured bike brand new and my father in law has a I think it's a 1977 Honda 750 SS he purchased brand new in burnt orange. He has had a bunch of Triumph's I bet he wishes he still had. Cool old bikes. good Luck!

Kaw.jpg

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    The streets are not the same as they were before smart phones. I got rid of my Harley for that reason.
    Thinking of doing the same. Seems like there's not a day goes by around here without someone getting hit or killed on their bike. I still love to ride, but seems can't go out without having to take evasive action at least a couple times due to distracted drivers. Moreso on the narrow back country roads.

12. Member
    If you plan on riding (not cruising around the block), get the modern retro version. Parts "should" be available and easier to get than the vintage bikes.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamB View Post
    Thinking of doing the same. Seems like there's not a day goes by around here without someone getting hit or killed on their bike. I still love to ride, but seems can't go out without having to take evasive action at least a couple times due to distracted drivers. Moreso on the narrow back country roads.
    I went down 5 years ago due to a CFA catering van trying to occupy the same space I was in, luckily, I was fully geared and going slow so minimal damage to me and about 8 grand in damages to the bike all fixed and covered by their insurance. Honestly, I'm stunned they fixed it and didn't total it. I have thought about selling but we are so close to making that new lake house a reality in an area with far less vehicles on the road than here in the Atlanta area. Maybe I'll go trade it in on a slingshot.

Quote Originally Posted by riggpigg View Post
    One word that should always be kept in mind on old British iron...............LUCAS, new Triumphs and Enfield twins are great machines, trouble free. The singles are very reliable....
    Lucas electronics! No wonder Joseph Lucas was called “The Prince of Darkness!”
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mean_dean View Post
    I went down 5 years ago due to a CFA catering van trying to occupy the same space I was in, luckily, I was fully geared and going slow so minimal damage to me and about 8 grand in damages to the bike all fixed and covered by their insurance. Honestly, I'm stunned they fixed it and didn't total it. I have thought about selling but we are so close to making that new lake house a reality in an area with far less vehicles on the road than here in the Atlanta area. Maybe I'll go trade it in on a slingshot.
    Glad you made it!! Those slingshots do look like fun!!

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamB View Post
    Glad you made it!! Those slingshots do look like fun!!
    Can am spider for me. Wife purchased it as an anniversary gift to me last year. Fun ride, but still not a bike. Used to race motocross and road raced a bit too back in the day. Wife sai we needed something that won’t wheelie. Lol Had a 1999 Triumph 955i Daytona that I purchased new. Great bike never any problems, and it got ridden hard. Had about 25000 miles on it when we sold it. I say go new if you are wanting to get a driver, on vintage if you will do more looking at it than driving. Those old Brit bikes can be a pain to maintain and keep running. BUT they sure look beautiful when restored.