Renting a permenent rv spot

I'm thinking about buying a camper and renting a year round spot on Smith Mountain Lake. We're sure we want to be on Smith Mountain but before we take the plunge, looking for advice on do's and don'ts and what to watch our for.
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv/LVS34
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

2. Member
    Research, research, research the RV portion of it. There is a lot of junk out there. I spent 2 years researching before we bought a 5th wheel. My .02!
    2001 ChampioN 206 Yamaha 225

3. Member
    I have owned 4 campers and 3 toy haulers plus converted one horse trailer into a camper/toy hauler. My favorite was my last camper which was a Jayco Eagle. Have a look at the Jayco brand as I found their workmanship to be superior to many others. Some are pure junk so be very careful in your search.

4. Member
    You, being in Roanoke, might be tempted to buy from Camping World. Not the best idea, as their reputation basically sucks Go look at their inventory to see if there is something you like, then source it at another dealer. Be patient, shop around, go to the big RV show in Carlisle, Pa ( next month I believe ) to get a better idea of what is on the market. Assuming you are buying new, wait until the RV shows in late winter/early spring to buy. The RV show in Richmond generally has a large # of dealers. I haven't been to any shows in NC, but I'm sure Raleigh, Greensboro, Charlotte, and Winston will have a few between them. If you are buying used, deals from individuals are to be had in the fall. As to what layout, make a list of what you want to keep in the camper and mentally place those items in that particular unit's available storage. Unless you are buying a large unit, storage will likely be at a premium. You don't want to be carrying a lot of stuff from your house to the camper and then back home. Lastly, when touring a unit, be critical. Make note of what you don't like as well as what you do. Eliminate those that have flaws. That will lead you toward the best unit for you.

5. Member
    Check at the end of the camping season if anyone is selling the permanent trailer at Smith Mountain. There usually is a few up for sale at almost every campground.

6. Member
    I bought a 2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL last year for $70k. Bill of sale from the couple was $106k plus $10k for add ons and they only used it for a year. Very well built and a new company. Washer/dryer king bed with top of the line mattress, fireplace, 20CF fridge full size stove and oven and 3 ac units. I would buy used from a private party if you can find one you like.