Highland Silver Lake - Clean Up Day

September 30th, 8-12pm. Meet at the JC Pavillion at 7:45 to pick up supplies. Questions, let me know. Want to RSVP? Let me know. As a thank you, water and Pizza provided after.

The way we've done this in the past - boats take some people to the trail head by the interstate, drop them off. They walk back, pick up trash. As bags get full, set them by the lake. A boat will pick up the bags, take them to a dumpster. Boats will police up the other side of the lake, without shoreline access, as well as north of the interstate.

2. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    More places should have this.

Dale Sinclair original

3. Member
    This is indeed a great idea. We have a "classic" at Newton that day, so we won't be able to take part. Even if only a few show up, it will still be helpful. I hope it goes well!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bkirch View Post
    This is indeed a great idea. We have a "classic" at Newton that day, so we won't be able to take part. Even if only a few show up, it will still be helpful. I hope it goes well!
    Have you been out at newton lately? Up by Joliet its been 8-15 foot weed lines with the temps so high. Even Braidwood they have moved deeper. Guess they dont like the 102 water up top.
    Please release me,let me go.

5. Member
    I think my son went to Newton today, but I haven't heard from him yet as to how he did. We will be getting over there more often in September with tournaments starting back up.

6. Member
    I would like to fish newton, never been there. How many ramps? If more than one, which one? Any areas close for winter?

7. Member
    There are 2 ramps. One on the west side (warm water) and one on the east side (cold water). The west ramp is obviously closer, so we always use that one. During waterfowl season, pretty much the entire cold side is closed until after 1:00PM. I've not yet checked the dates for the upcoming waterfowl season, but it likely starts around Thanksgiving and ends on Jan 31.

8. Member
    We have been to Newton a few times recently. It's been decent, but nowhere near what Newton used to be when they ran 2 units. I think those days of 100+ fish and 25 keepers are long gone... at least on a regular basis. This summer, the average for us has been more like 20ish fish and maybe 3 or 4 keepers. I had heard water temps on the cold side were above 90 a couple weeks ago, but it was barely 80 on Saturday.

9. Member
    Thank you sir!

10. Member
    Event has been cancelled. Not enough people.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by local16 View Post
    More places should have this.
    Shawnee Muskie Hunters have been hosting an annual clean-up day at Kinkaid for many years.