Thread: Etec 90

Etec 90

Its on a pontoon but anyways was running fine wide open the all of a sudden slowly fell to 3,000 rpm and thats all it will do now. Starts right up idles normal runs smooth but won’t get over 3,000 there was no alarms or anything. When you turn key on it goes through its deal no lights stay on. Any ideas.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

2. Member
    Give us a model number so we know what year 90 you have.
    this can be some kind of fuel delivery problem.
    what service has been performed on fuel filters, spark plugs, etc ?

3. Member
    E90SLAFB year 2015 all fuel filters Im aware of have been changed every year. There is one of those cheap looking generic see through filters on the side and fuel water separator. Plugs are all new and indexed properly fresh gas. Kinda thinking maybe dirty injector but Im at a loss.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

4. Member
    Doubtful on an injector problem. Recommend first to have someone run the Evinrude diagnostics to see if there are any faults. Then look for fuel delivery issues. Check the prime bulb for operation. Look for any pinched fuel lines. When the problem occurs pump the primer bulb and see if the engine power comes back. Also There is a small cone filter in the fuel feed line fitting at the vapor separator. This has been known to get restricted.
    Last edited by Bighare2; 08-21-2023 at 07:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bighare2 View Post
    Also There is a small cone filter in the fuel feed line fitting at the vapor separator. This has been known to get restricted.
    Just replaced my VST filter. Quick and easy job and the part is only $1.50 or so. Just don't break off the nipple on the VST when you're removing the fuel line to access the filter. There are a couple YouTube videos the show the process pretty well. Watch one before you attempt at home.

6. Member
    Will check these out tomorrow
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

7. Member
    Where is this VST filter located Im not even seeing it in parts diagram where I order my parts. Another question any of you heard of or used a diagnostic program from Powersports Diagnostics
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

8. Member
    Go here. Epc.brp.com
    go to the Evinrude catalog. Plug in your model number. Navigate to the fuel pump and vapor separator. Ref number 7
    *FILTER, Fuel return

here’s the video I used to guide me through the VST filter replacement.

10. Member
    Got it thanks when I get back in from works Im going to change it out and see what happens
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO