Best Lug Nut for Fresh/Brackish Water

What 1/2x20 thread and length lug nuts are best to use on alloy wheels in Fresh/Brackish water — Chrome, Zinc, Stainless? Do people use Anti Seize for corrosion or grease. Just replaced bearings, seals and brakes on my trailer so I’m starting off fresh. Wanted to see what people have to say…..
    Rich
    Westminster, Maryland
    Champion 198 Elite DC / Yamaha VMax

2. Member
    I kind of like these. No chrome to flake. A little harder to steal too.

https://www.amazon.com/PUENGSI-Degre...%2C130&sr=8-21

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by R1Peacock View Post
    What 1/2x20 thread and length lug nuts are best to use on alloy wheels in Fresh/Brackish water — Chrome, Zinc, Stainless? Do people use Anti Seize for corrosion or grease. Just replaced bearings, seals and brakes on my trailer so I’m starting off fresh. Wanted to see what people have to say…..
    Stainless will gall the studs and doesn’t play nice with carbon studs. Clean up your existing lugs if they are in good shape. Clean the studs and add a small amount of anti-seize be carful not to get any on the rim mating surface. Reduce lug torque by 10% so you don’t over stretch the studs. Recheck torque often.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WjColdWater View Post
    Stainless will gall the studs and doesn’t play nice with carbon studs. Clean up your existing lugs if they are in good shape. Clean the studs and add a small amount of anti-seize be carful not to get any on the rim mating surface. Reduce lug torque by 10% so you don’t over stretch the studs. Recheck torque often.
    This is great advice.

5. Member
    Do a search on Nitronic nuts. These are an anti-galling stainless.

https://www.google.com/search?client...h=711&dpr=1.25

6. Member
    The best ones are the ones you remove, clean and reinstall every 6 months. I never had problems while doing this with a trailer that was dunked in the gulf about 50 times a year.

7. Member
    The problem with alloy wheels is you would normally want to use closed nuts so they look good, which is probably ok in freshwater but once you add salt it’s not the best idea. I use standard open zinc plated nuts on my galvanized wheels in full Saltwater and have never had a problem, I spray them off with freshwater every time and usually coat them in some sort of spray protectant.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay