Thread: Mountain lions

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Those big cats move around. A few years ago a biologist in Georgia said he was stalked by one up on the Chattooga river in the mountains. Then a hunter actually shot one in middle Georgia. It turned out to be a Florida strain panther that had made his way up that far.
    2016 Tracker V175 Pro Guide/115Mercury Four stroke.

Doesn't matter to me who believes me or not...I've seen 2 in Missouri...1 in Hume,Mo. laying on it's belly lapping water from the pond we were fishing..and the second one was in a junkyard in Odessa,Mo. next to the old I-70 Speedway....The one in Hume was from about 15-20 yrds...watched him/her for a full minute..till it abruptly stood up and walked back into the woods..the one in Odessa was from roughly 5 ft...it stood up in mid thigh high grass and looked right at me...really no mistaking what it was...it ran off faster than I did...probably because it took extra time for me to drop all the shit I was carrying...half hour before this happened, the owner of the junkyard told me to be careful cause he thought there were a pack of wild dogs up in there..(he had seen deer remains)...If anyone is wondering...I did gather my self up and went back..got my toolbox..and proceeded to get the wiper arm rings and steering yoke collar from the '62 Starfire he had......

3. Member
    Is this proof that they exist in Texas?IMG_1044.jpg

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD BOB View Post
    Nope photoshop! JK

5. Michigan Bass Club Moderator CGWright's Avatar
    People ridicule what they don't understand. Human nature.

To report any post you disagree with press Alt + F4.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    Cougar picture interest me more.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/16Zp...w?usp=drivesdk

If i recall correctly there was a news story about a cougar that was killed by a car in connecticut that had traveled from somewhere like south dakota. They tracked the lineage of the cat thru DNA. So hard to say where one could pop up at any time. i thin k most young apex predators travel long distances when there young to establish a territory of there own.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD BOB View Post
    Is there an argument that they don't? I've seen estimates that say the population is close to 6,000. I was really surprised to learn that they're treated as varmints though. No closed season and no bag limits. Don't most states treat them as big game?

Given the fact that they're known to range far and wide (esp. young males establishing a territory) I don't see why the big fuss if one is seen in a state not known to have a viable breeding population.
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

Quote Originally Posted by Black Fox View Post
    We have them in Tennessee. It took TWRA a long time to finally admit they were here. After so many trail cam pics started appearing they had no choice but to admit it. They claim mountain lions are only in certain middle TN counties but I have personally seen trail cam pics of one on a farm in eastern TN so there may be more around than they are either admitting or know about.
    It was the same thing in Louisiana for years with the LDWF claiming they did not exist or a sighting was an escaped pet. They have since changed their stance to passing through but no breeding population. I definitely saw one in Grant parish years ago around the same time that they now say they had a confirmed sighting in neighboring Winn parish. At the time no one believed me but I know what I saw.

https://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/news/l...east-louisiana

This conversation is timely as we are starting to see more game camera pictures of large cats here. Is this a bobcat or a mountain lion in the opinion of everyone on here?
    WGI_0009 cat.JPG WGI_0323.JPG

We know there are breeding populations of bobcats here - same camera location got this picture. You can see a small bobcat behind the obvious bobcat.
    WGI_0431.JPG

12. Member
    These things always make me grin. Most of the public, even bass fishermen, have little knowledge of wildlife. They see a big male bobcat cross the road and the mountain lion rumors start spinning out of control.

Let's be clear. There are no wild mountain lions in North Carolina.

I have trapped all of NC's predators over the last 11 years in various parts of the state. I have caught hundreds of bobcats, hundreds of coyotes, hundreds of fox. There is no person more familiar with wildlife and the world that surrounds them than a trapper. This is not a brag, but fact. If there were mountain lions here I would have caught one or seen sign of one. Simple as that. I have never cut a mountain lion track here or seen any sign of them. They are not here.

That's not to say they don't somehow find their way here some day years and years from now, but as of right now anyone that tells you they saw a mountain lion here is either purposely lying to you or too uneducated to know they are lying to you

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    This conversation is timely as we are starting to see more game camera pictures of large cats here. Is this a bobcat or a mountain lion in the opinion of everyone on here?
    That there is a bobcat my friend. At least in the first picture. Second is hard to make out

14. Member
    Same thing here. People would see one every now and then, and he get a picture sometimes. They would be called liars and they're picture is fake or whatever, until finally a few years ago TWRA confirmed that we do in fact have them here.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CGWright View Post
    People ridicule what they don't understand. Human nature.
    Yep ^^^ this 100%
    And then there are the ones that will argue just for the sake of doing so.

We had a black panther that was around here for years. Many different sightings but the DNR denied the cat being here. Then some pics came out with deer hanging dead up in trees. 2 horses were attacked and got tore up pretty bad, wasn't by a cougar either. A local bear hunter had 5 out of 7 of his dogs killed when they got on to the big cat. Come to find out that the cat escaped a hunt club that was south of us. That was never confirmed but that was the unofficial story. I kinda doubted it then saw it cross in front of me on my way to work. So yea lots of things that some intellectuals say are not so. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    looks like a bobcat to me. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

17. Member
    We have a lot of them here but in 54 years of hunting i have only seen 5. Never one run over so they are smart cats. I ate lion for a week on a bear hunt in Idaho and it was delicious. Made me want to try the neighbor's cats. In the last few years lions have tried to drag off little kids but parents stopped them. One was right on the boat ramp. I know one guy who was quail hunting near Bartlett lake and training his young dog. His dog started looking at him and barking when a lion stood up and put it's paws on his backpack and pushed him down. He rolled over and killed it with his shotgun. They will definitely eat you and you will never know they are there.

Quote Originally Posted by juice780 View Post
    Why the hell would some want those as pets
    There was a guy in the wilkesboro area that had a large cat cannot remember if it was a Tiger or Lion but it made the news years ago. If I recall it hurt or killed him or a family member; it made the news. I think it was 15 years or so ago.

19. Member
    about a cougar that was killed by a car in connecticut that had traveled from somewhere like south dakota
    The car?
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by yadkincustomlures View Post
    These things always make me grin. Most of the public, even bass fishermen, have little knowledge of wildlife. They see a big male bobcat cross the road and the mountain lion rumors start spinning out of control.

Let's be clear. There are no wild mountain lions in North Carolina.

I have trapped all of NC's predators over the last 11 years in various parts of the state. I have caught hundreds of bobcats, hundreds of coyotes, hundreds of fox. There is no person more familiar with wildlife and the world that surrounds them than a trapper. This is not a brag, but fact. If there were mountain lions here I would have caught one or seen sign of one. Simple as that. I have never cut a mountain lion track here or seen any sign of them. They are not here.

That's not to say they don't somehow find their way here some day years and years from now, but as of right now anyone that tells you they saw a mountain lion here is either purposely lying to you or too uneducated to know they are lying to you
    if one can travel from South Dakota to Connecticut then I think it’s possible for one to travel
    to nc from a state where they are at. I’m with you thinking there are probably none here but I will never say never. Always keep an open mind

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast