VX21 Death Wells - death trap for smallmouths.

My first summer with the boat and I cant seem to keep smallies alive in the wells.

Fished Champlain Sunday had a nice 20lb bag and my smallies looked like they were about to kick the bucket when I released em. Im sure at least two werent going to make it.
    I've already lost a number of fish this year and it sucks to be killing these 15+ year old 4lb fish..

Yesterday I caught em all under 8 fow.. no need to fizz .. Surface temp was in the low 70's. and air temp was like 81..
    Ran the livewells in Intensive Care mode (full - with recirculate and freshwater pumps on continuous) all day.. pretty much killed my cranking battery in the process.
    Added G juice. Didnt ice em much because the water was cool all day.. Never had problems in my 08 Triton 20X2
    Dont think I killed more than a fish or two in 15 years with it.

I just cant figure it out..
    Additionally, how do I tell if that oxygenator is working.. what should the air look like when it is being added Just a thin stream of white??

I'm perplexed.. Love the boat, love the ride-- but I got to figure this out.. It's stressing me out.. Not to mention the 6 or 8 fish I killed already..

Looking for advice.

Another issue is with the cranking battery.. Its a brand new pro guide agm 31. 15 and 12 solix Mega 360 and active target on a HDS12 live.
    With the pumps running continuously, I toasted it yesterday in 8 hours.
    Kept the solix 15 on standby when fishing used the mega all day and Active target probably 60% of the day.. RC is 210 on the battery.. Pro guide doesnt make a bigger battery..
    Is this an issue for anyone else?

Thanks in advance,
    Luke

2. Member
    The intensive care mode is only to be used when making long runs in rough water. Your fish are suffocating.

3. Member
    Luke,
    My vx21 oxygenator has tiny, tiny bubbles slowly rising up, almost looks like dust. Not sure if mine is correct but thats what it is doing.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo Carrillo View Post
    The intensive care mode is only to be used when making long runs in rough water. Your fish are suffocating.
    Can you explain how the fish are suffocating?

I only started using that yesterday, because I was having issues with the fish dieing when I had it in standard mode.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 200721i View Post
    Luke,
    My vx21 oxygenator has tiny, tiny bubbles slowly rising up, almost looks like dust. Not sure if mine is correct but thats what it is doing.
    Thanks. That's exactly what mine is doing as well. Somehow I thought it would be more visible or obvious.

6. Member
    Fish need O2 and aeration. Intensive care mode gives the fish a cushy ride but doesnt allow any aeration or permit for any gases to escape. The system is great but its not meant to be used for extended periods.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo Carrillo View Post
    Fish need O2 and aeration. Intensive care mode gives the fish a cushy ride but doesnt allow any aeration or permit for any gases to escape. The system is great but its not meant to be used for extended periods.
    need a fresh air pocket above the water line. I open live wells up several times per hour and fan the wells using the lids to change air out over and over
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

8. Member
    I dont get what guys are saying..

If Im leaving the livewell freshwater pump on continuous . It seems to me it would not matter if there was any air over the livewell..
    There is a continuous stream of freshwater coming into the livewell any time I set down off plane.
    The oxygenator would further aerate the water.??

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYLuke View Post
    I dont get what guys are saying..

If Im leaving the livewell freshwater pump on continuous . It seems to me it would not matter if there was any air over the livewell..
    There is a continuous stream of freshwater coming into the livewell any time I set down off plane.
    The oxygenator would further aerate the water.??
    kind of like cold places where the lake freezes over for long times and the water o2 levels drop and kill off fish
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

10. Member
    I don't have a Vexus but I do have Oxygenators and have heard and read that G Juice is NOT recommended to be used when they are running. I don't recall the exact reason but it may be worth a search of the internet.

John

11. Member
    On the TH Marine web site, I found this for G-Juice.

• Approved for use with THE OXYGENATOR

12. Member
    Look at adding some V-T2 livewell vents as well to help with that gas/oxygen exchange.

13. Member
    Opening up livewells every so often to allow fresh air is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. We catch our fish throw um in, add G juice, turn livewell to recirc qnd don't mess with it unless we cull. Have never lost a fish. vx21

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ruski View Post
    Look at adding some V-T2 livewell vents as well to help with that gas/oxygen exchange.
    ^^^^This^^^^

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceHuiet View Post
    Opening up livewells every so often to allow fresh air is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. We catch our fish throw um in, add G juice, turn livewell to recirc qnd don't mess with it unless we cull. Have never lost a fish. vx21
    With the design, V-T2's will not work.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hagins View Post
    I don't have a Vexus but I do have Oxygenators and have heard and read that G Juice is NOT recommended to be used when they are running. I don't recall the exact reason but it may be worth a search of the internet.

John
    g juice was recommended . The powder stuff was what was not
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

17. Member
    Are you fishing in "brackish" water? If so you want to disconnect oxygenators as it supposedly produces chlorine due to the salt. Was told this by an elite pro that fishes up north for smallies.