Cleaning heads/block for new gasket

I’m getting my ass kicked here cleaning prepping the block/heads/water jacket cover for new gaskets. I’ve got them all maybe 95% cleaned up but this last little bit is driving me crazy. I started with this 245E7F8B-6E39-4C6B-A933-504D95BF0839.jpegand I’ve gotten to here 2D9A138D-8798-4400-88ED-287BDE431BC3.jpeg. I still have some light pitting/corrosion, especially right next to the cylinders. Anyone have any suggestions to clean this last bit up, I’m assuming this still it’s not good enough. I’ve just been doing it by hand with fine scotchbrite and 1000g wet sandpaper. I’ve been avoiding brass wheel or a scotchbright roloc pad but I may cave and pick one up considering I still have to do the port side or motor as well.

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    A can of either BRP engine tuner or Merc Power tune will make quick work of the carbon. Don't forget the water deflectors.

3. Member
    Ended up working well thank you! Have it all reassembled and will test motor tomorrow.

One last question, should I spray fogging oil or anything thru the spark plug holes before firing it back up? I had to wipe the cylinders a bit to clean up some debris getting on them. I’m just worried about not having enough lubricant there now.

4. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smallie Nation View Post
    Ended up working well thank you! Have it all reassembled and will test motor tomorrow.

One last question, should I spray fogging oil or anything thru the spark plug holes before firing it back up? I had to wipe the cylinders a bit to clean up some debris getting on them. I’m just worried about not having enough lubricant there now.
    You did replace the 6 rubber water deflectors like Fred recommended? Those old ones look swollen/restrictive.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by omcforever View Post
    You did replace the 6 rubber water deflectors like Fred recommended? Those old ones look swollen/restrictive.
    Yes I did, one on each bank was essentially a complete blockage, I also replaced the tstats and poppet valves. I ran the boat today for 50 minutes straight today (half idle/half on plane) and had no overheat alarm. The water coming out of tell tale was warm but not hot after running on plane. Hoping my issue is fixed, now just need to take the flywheel off to replace the rectifier I burned up from the overheating.

Thanks you guys are the best!