Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Classicxl View Post
    Kentucky Afield here, been on the air since 1953. Combination of fishing, hunting, cooking along with statewide fishing and hunting reports.
    Hope Carlton and Harry Towles... I loved that show.
    Sick, tired, hungry, broke, busted, disgusted, can't be trusted, been imposed on and won't fight

Before Jerry McKinnis did The Fishing Hole he did a show called The Falls City Fisherman. It was sponsored by Falls City Beer out of Louisville. He ran a Chrysler bass boat and motor at one point.

He fished the major impoundments of the Southeast with some legendary fishermen like Tom Mann.
    Sick, tired, hungry, broke, busted, disgusted, can't be trusted, been imposed on and won't fight

3. Member
    When I was training at Tyndall AFB in Panama City, FL in 1989, I'd get up around 4-5 AM and turn on the TV to Red Holland Outdoors. Red loved fishing for bream and shellcrackers. Heard he sadly passed away a couple years ago. Still catch his old shows occasionally on YouTube.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geodebasser View Post
    I remember The Harry Stressel Show from the seventies when I first got interested in bass fishing seriously.
    He was a local that came up with a show catching bass in mill foil on Lake G with Cordell Spots and frogs. His show was a pioneer in ripping grass with blades on Lake Guntersville. He also did a lot on Tim’s Ford catching stripper. Tragically when its show had its run he hung out in local pool halls trying to hustle. Unfortunately he ended up homeless. Sadly I can’t find any old videos of his show to post . Only this sad obituary.
    https://obits.al.com/us/obituaries/h...ary?id=9757637

Does anyone else remember a local fishing show from long ago?
    Remember Harry well. You could occasionally find him hanging around in Jerry's Sportsworld on Oakwood Avenue.

5. Member
    Yes I remember Harry Stressel show. He hung out at busters bait and tackle. Gambled cards and parley football cards. Huntsville area also had Donny McCaroy outdoor show and Rocky Drake. Rocky does YouTube stuff now.

6. Member
    "Outdoors with Red", Red Holland when I was growing up in NW Florida.

7. Member
    Back in the 60s and 70s we had a local fishing show here in Hampton Roads called Fishing With Jeff Dane. Came on Friday nights. He would show pictures of viewers catches. I was so proud when I finally caught a bass nice enough to send my picture in.

This show went off the air 10 years ago maybe? Pre-FFS, aluminum boat, at least in this episode on Grand lake.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RNKingCx19 View Post
    Yes I remember Harry Stressel show. He hung out at busters bait and tackle. Gambled cards and parley football cards. Huntsville area also had Donny McCaroy outdoor show and Rocky Drake. Rocky does YouTube stuff now.
    Which guy used to have a piece on the Friday evening news where he gave a lake report and always ended with a trademark noise he made smacking his gums?

Honey Hole Outdoors with Jerry Dean later taken over by Bill Wilcox when Jerry passed away. Still going today.

Barry Stokes still does a show as well.

11. Member
    Some more info. about Ky Afield since 1945. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentucky_Afield

What was the guy name who was from Texas and he had a John Denver haircut and glasses and fished out of a Skeeter in the early 80s

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 11pounder View Post
    Joe Krieger, and his partner Wanda Scott. They never caught a fish that didn't go in the cooler.
    Always on Norman Lil N ----Joe red eyes , Wanda blue eyes lol
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

14. Member
    I know it isn't that long ago, but I liked Orlando Wilson. I just did one of his tricks last week, netted the fish, removed the lure and threw the pliers overboard.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    Which guy used to have a piece on the Friday evening news where he gave a lake report and always ended with a trademark noise he made smacking his gums?
    Doug Marshall The Alabama Fisherman. He had a body shop on Washington st.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Delaware Valley Outdoors with Bob Murray. You can still find episodes on YouTube including one with Ike.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

17. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lakefolk View Post
    Don Wallace..

my grandfather was on the don wallace show years ago fishing Roman nose for trout!

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 11pounder View Post
    Joe Krieger, and his partner Wanda Scott. They never caught a fish that didn't go in the cooler.
    And seems like most were caught on a pearl colored crank bait.

19. Member
    Gattabout Gaddis or whatever the spelling was when I was a kid. My dad called me Gattabout when I started fishing. If my memory is right he was a regional show. Lee Bailey jr did a local show when he was a touring pro years ago also that was played on free public television sites.

Best national show was Curt Gowdy American Sportsman

Last edited by mattmann7; 08-14-2023 at 05:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    Delaware Valley Outdoors with Bob Murray. You can still find episodes on YouTube including one with Ike.
    Great guy! Knew him for many years...He did a lot of promotions for our tournaments on the Delaware River.

Also a show I haven't seen mention yet, John Fox Fishing Florida...it was on our local PBS channel
    Allen
    911 Bass Anglers
    Bucks County PA

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast