Thread: TPS issue?

TPS issue?

What exactly does that do? And do you know it's bad or going bad...I have noticed that sometimes when I shift into forward it kind of slams when engaging. Then other times it's as smooth as butter. Any opinions? So far I have not gotten any beeps if it's supposed to beep at me.
    2021/ 200 hp 4 stroke pro xs
    2021 Triton TRX 18
    #3B051045

The TPS Throttle Position Sensor won’t have anything to do with the shift unless you have your foot on the pedal and raising rpm’s when you shift. I’m sure Don will chime in but essentially it monitors the amount the throttle plate opens. When shifting, I always wait until mine “settles” after starting but as you say, occasionally I’ll feel it a little more harsh
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thommo59 View Post
    The TPS Throttle Position Sensor won’t have anything to do with the shift unless you have your foot on the pedal and raising rpm’s when you shift. I’m sure Don will chime in but essentially it monitors the amount the throttle plate opens. When shifting, I always wait until mine “settles” after starting but as you say, occasionally I’ll feel it a little more harsh
    Yeh I always make sure I have my foot away from the hot foot. And like you, I wait a few seconds before putting it into gear. sometimes it's still a bit harsh.
    2021/ 200 hp 4 stroke pro xs
    2021 Triton TRX 18
    #3B051045

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    On your engine, there are 2 TPS units in the ETC, and two in the Throttle Demand Sensor. Between those there's probably more than a dozen scenarios that could happen. Idle speed is PCM controlled, so the only items you can do to affect that (thus affecting shifting) would be:

1. Throttle input

2. Engine up to operating temp before attempting shifting.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor