Banned

Prescription Eye Wear

anyone have the plastic frames? I have read the "pros & cons" and none that I have discovered address if they stay in place on nose. The single largest "con" I discovered is plastic frames are not as strong. Your experience would be appreciated. Thanks.

I've got some wrap-around prescription polarized lenses (plastic frames) that I wear all the time fishing and don't have an issue with them slipping off. They have a sort of rubberized area where it rides on your nose and that helps too.

Go see a good optician and they can answer your questions. Just make sure you pick something that fits or feels good as soon as you try it on. Dont rely on someone to "ADJUST " them into fitting. Its #1 mistake people make when buying glasses! And whatever you do dont buy them online!

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MNJ View Post
    Go see a good optician and they can answer your questions. Just make sure you pick something that fits or feels good as soon as you try it on. Dont rely on someone to "ADJUST " them into fitting. Its #1 mistake people make when buying glasses! And whatever you do dont buy them online!
    Going today. I have been wearing glasses for thirty years. Just tired of the nose pads. I used to work in Suffolk and I lived in Cheasapeake.

5. Member
    I grew up in Chesapeake (Great Bridge, corner of Centerville and Mt Pleasant represent!), and my parents moved to Suffolk (Carrollton). Dad worked for City of Chesapeake
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

6. Member
    I currently have the less expensive plastic framed prescription glasses. No issues falling off my nose but dang do they stretch out of wack easy. The optical shop can bend them back a few times before something lets go.

7. Member
    I have plastic frames for my sunglasses, they fit well and stay in place. For my everyday prescription glasses I like the titanium frames because they are lite and if I fall asleep with them on they never get bent out of shape.

8. Member
    Make sure you get the lightest lenses possible. Heavy glass lenses will give you a fit.
    Also I will pile on the 757 crew from Chesapeake Va.

Another 757 guy here. I have plastic prescription sunglasses and they are always slipping down my nose. Drives me nuts. And I have a large beak to keep em in place
    Ranger R81VS, Mercury 175EFI w/ 25 Tempest

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MNJ View Post
    I think that this is good advice. Having said that, you can often heat the plastic frames in real hot water (or with a heat gun) and bend them to fit better if they are too loose and sliding down your nose.

Last edited by CRAWFW; 08-09-2023 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Add text

12. Member
    I have plastic frames on my sunglasses that fit well and don't slide down. I use titanium frames on my reading glasses because they are durable and lightweight but more expensive.

13. Banned
    thanks for all the responses. I appreciate it.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I’ve had plastic frames for my prescription eyeware for about six months. I have a strong prescription of -9 so my lenses run on the thick side. The frames are very light in weight and thus far I’ve had no issue with them staying in place on my nose, etc. I was a bit worried that they’d be more likely to fly off when zipping down the lake so I try to remember to either have my Cocoons on or have a strap attached, so far no issues.

15. Member
    My polarized prescription fishing glasses are plastic frame and I haven't had any issues but I also use Chum's eyewear retainer that I can tighten up if I need to.
    2000 Ranger 518vx - 2019 Mercury Pro xs 200

For anyone having problems with glasses slidong down your nose and falling off, here's what you need. The Optigrab. It keeps the glasses in place and it has a convenient handle making it easy to put your glasses on or off.

No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OBT View Post
    For anyone having problems with glasses slidong down your nose and falling off, here's what you need. The Optigrab. It keeps the glasses in place and it has a convenient handle making it easy to put your glasses on or off.

I've heard that those will make you cross-eyed.

18. Member
    i have plastic RayBan frames on my prescrition sun glasses. They stay put really good. My plastic frame regular glasses, Nike frames, are a different story.
    2021 Vexus AVX 1880 Summit White
    115 Mercury ProXS
    Ultrex
    Twin HBirds
    Garmin 93
    Garmin Livescope

19. Member
    I just went and got my first pair of eyeglasses today. I got the plastic frames but they fit well right away and felt good. I was thinking if needed maybe I could add some nose pads of some sort? Like a small piece of foam with tape? I don’t know if that’s a thing or not but if not I have some at work and a pen knife.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    I've heard that those will make you cross-eyed.
    Just don't tell the young guys...
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.