Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

GM defective lifters

Got a 2019 Yukon Denali tow rig with 6.2 gasser. Thought it was a great rig till last week. Had a bit of rough idle. Took it to my regular non GM service center for oil change and plugs. They changed oil and plugs and provided me GM service bulletin about defective lifters on the 5.3 & 6.2. Told me to drive it to nearest GM dealer-no further. Took it to GM dealer and dropped it off last Friday. They got it in for diagnostics today. The fuel management system is the culprit the way it drops from 8 cylinder to 4 cylinders by deactivating lifters. GM quickly diagnosed the problem in 30 minutes-it's very common! Bad lifter, bent pushrod, trashed cam shaft. They want to fix issue on one lifter bank for $7,500.00 with same defective lifters. Research shows this is a common problem and has a pending lawsuit for defective lifters. ADIOS GM!!!!

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

2. Member
    I’ve done a few of those jobs and I’m not at a GM dealer. Its a real threat to anyone who gets one. Most make it, but many don’t.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 99R93S View Post
    I’ve done a few of those jobs and I’m not at a GM dealer. Its a real threat to anyone who gets one. Most make it, but many don’t.
    Does adding a programmer to turn off the cylinder deactivation feature solve this problem?

4. Member
    Unfortunately it’s fairly common. My Dad’s was done under warranty at 17k miles
    The head(s)have to come off so they normally just do the affected bank

5. Member
    My 18 6.2 has been in the shop for almost 2 months now with the issue. I opted to go with the stage 1 cam as long as it was no more $ since it had to have a new cam. $6500 for both sides. Looks like I’ll be driving it longer than I thought.

6. Member
    Screw that, trade it in on something else.

7. INSCOM 80-84
    The dealer told me I needed a new motor at 125,000 miles. I decided to drive it until it quits. I got a programmer and deactivated the AFM and it now has 334,000 miles on it.

8. Member
    During the worst part of the lifter fiasco, I reported on here that many trucks and SUV’s were needing new engines before the customer even took delivery, including some that wouldn’t run to get them off of the trailer (presumably they ran long enough to get on the trailer but not long enough to get off). Anyway, I was told that I was full of crap and that this problem was rare. It’s not rare. GM obviously had a bad batch of lifter during COVID that led to the problems I mentioned, but it’s also just a terrible design and a ticking time bomb, especially if you do a lot of lower speed driving where this system kicks in and shuts off oil to some of the lifters.
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

9. Member
    Last GM product Ill ever own is sitting in my driveway its a 2015. Once I finish paying it off this time (paid it off 2 times already took a loan out on truck to pay cash for my boats the BBC way).

My lifters crapped out around 16,000 miles on my 2021 GMC Sierra with 5.3. I asked the dealer if this was a known issue, they said no.

Took truck into dealer and got it back in two days with new lifters, all under warranty. It seems to me, if it was not a common occurrence, then it would take longer than two days to get the parts in and perform the repair. Maybe I just got lucky.
    Phoenixed
    2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Humminbird Helix 12 Chirp Mega SI
    Humminbird Helix 12 Chirp Mega DI

11. Member
    Part of the reason I leased this time. Not my issue if something goes wrong... My 18 was starting to shift real bad and I had the tuner on it.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MengRanger View Post
    Part of the reason I leased this time. Not my issue if something goes wrong... My 18 was starting to shift real bad and I had the tuner on it.
    My dads 2017 with the tuner jumped into gear pretty hard too. My next vehicle maybe a 2000 truck with a brand new crate engine and tranny dropped into it. The hell with the AFM crap i want my fuel to burn and give me crappy gas mileage. Id rather pay for more gas than rebuilding engines every other year.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by okskeetertzx190 View Post
    Does adding a programmer to turn off the cylinder deactivation feature solve this problem?
    From what I understand, using a tuner or a disabler such as the Range Technology AFM Disabler won't "solve" the problem but reduces the chance of lifter failure.

14. Moderator
    What other disablers are there? Range doesn't have a simple plug in for my 2020 GMC 5.3

LOL at buying a vehicle with a blatant known problem and then buying an aftermarket tuner to band aid the problem. It's like putting a shock collar on a rabid wolverine trying to make it a pet.

They truly are "like a rock" ... a big heavy thing that just sits there
    Ranting incoherently

I just had the same problem on my 2022 1500 with the 5.3. GM would only authorize dealer to replace both banks if under 16000 miles and I am at 17000. They replaced one bank and I got it back in a couple days. It is most definitely a known problem.
    2021 Vexus AVX 181, Mercury 60CT 4S, MK Ultrex, HB Helix 7 MSI and MDI

17. Member
    Are the cheaper disablers as good as Range Technology's RA003 ?

They all have issues . The 5.0 ford has the same
    issue. The v6 ford has phaser issues that happen just as much as the lifters
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
    They all have issues . The 5.0 ford has the same
    issue. The v6 ford has phaser issues that happen just as much as the lifters
    Not quite, we have a fleet of 5.0 and never a lifter failure or phaser issue on any of the v6's or 8's but they are serviced regularly. This is key IMHE. Now the 5.0 using oil, yep. Everyone I have had or have goes through a quart every 2500 miles. Never has caused a issue and it is at the add mark when the 5k service is due. So like you stated they all have issues but some more than others may leave you stranded. I'd be willing to bet if Toyota had this issue they would have been recalled and fixed with good parts. This is why I left GM many years ago, not impressed with the company's business ethics. Cj
    Last edited by CJ1; 08-08-2023 at 07:47 AM.
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

20. Member
    I'm willing to bet Toyotas new engines will suck tooive heard there's some problems. Its a shame company's do this to a engine back .I'm running a 5.0 and it runs like a scolded dog but sounds like a diesel at idle with all the direct injection my old 95 351 with 215k on it keeps on going

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast