Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by snookonfly View Post
    Dumb question...What are the symptoms of a failed GMC lifter? How would you know its happened or is happening?
    I didn't notice any unusual noise, but I never raised the hood. I had no idea my Yukon was in self destruct mode. Mine simply had a rough idle and lost about 3 mpg. Others on you tube bend a push rod and hammer like hell.

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasD View Post
    Because the problem isn't as widespread as people make it out to be.
    How common is it then? If it’s 1 in 1000, then the odds of jb882 having 3 in a row is 1 in a billion. Based on the active number of users of this forum and at least one of them having 3 in a row, the odds of a single truck having issues is more like 1 in 10. And based on what I have seen the odds, at least for a time, we’re way higher than that. There was obviously a bad batch of lifters during COVID.
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorJJ View Post
    How common is it then? If it’s 1 in 1000, then the odds of jb882 having 3 in a row is 1 in a billion. Based on the active number of users of this forum and at least one of them having 3 in a row, the odds of a single truck having issues is more like 1 in 10. And based on what I have seen the odds, at least for a time, we’re way higher than that. There was obviously a bad batch of lifters during COVID.
    Mine were all way pre covid. A 2014 and a 2018 that did it twice....

I would say its real common but i don't have the exact numbers from GM. What i can tell you is it happened to my brothers 2008 1500, my sisters 2019 Escalade and her husbands 2011 1500 as well as his 2021 1500. A buddy of mine that has a 2012 Avalanche had had it happen twice, another buddy that has a 2010 sierra 1500 has had it happen and every person in my old club that has or had a 2007+ GM has had it happen to them and thats like 10 or 12 guys. My mechanic that installed the delete kit in the 2014 has at least 4 or 5 vehicles on his lot at any given time, mostly out of warranty newer Suburbans and Tahoes that have lifter failures. He is the GM guy in my old town and he fixes them a lot. According to him GM DOD failures are putting his twins thru college....

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorJJ View Post
    I’m sure I’d be accused of being a “Ford guy” but I’m really more of a Toyota and Porsche guy. That being said, I’d take a non-AFM 6.0 Chevy any day. That was a great engine. Maybe one of the best v8’s ever made. Make good power, better on mileage than you’d expect and last forever. Almost all of them go over 300k. The new 5.3 and 6.2’s are junk. I had one. Only way I’d have one again is if I replaced the cam and lifters with good aftermarket ones and did away with the AFM/DFM completely, plugging it off internally. The only problem with the LT’s at that point would be carbon build up, which is pretty easy to treat and occasional coil packs which happen to about everything that runs those type.
    Spot on. I had a pre DFM 6.0l in my 06 1500 "Vortec MAX" and that truck was a gem. Probably the best vehicle i have ever owned and by far the most comfortable seats ever. That truck was a road trip master.... I gave it to my nephew in 2014 and he still drives it to this day with over 275 on the clock. The only major repair it ever had was the torque converter seal on the trans sprung a leak at like 150k. I had that done in 2013 just before i gave it to him, had the entire trans and transfer case resealed and the rear main swapped while the transmission was down. Thats one i wish i still had....

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by electritek View Post
    Got a 2019 Yukon Denali tow rig with 6.2 gasser. Thought it was a great rig till last week. Had a bit of rough idle. Took it to my regular non GM service center for oil change and plugs. They changed oil and plugs and provided me GM service bulletin about defective lifters on the 5.3 & 6.2. Told me to drive it to nearest GM dealer-no further. Took it to GM dealer and dropped it off last Friday. They got it in for diagnostics today. The fuel management system is the culprit the way it drops from 8 cylinder to 4 cylinders by deactivating lifters. GM quickly diagnosed the problem in 30 minutes-it's very common! Bad lifter, bent pushrod, trashed cam shaft. They want to fix issue on one lifter bank for $7,500.00 with same defective lifters. Research shows this is a common problem and has a pending lawsuit for defective lifters. ADIOS GM!!!!
    $7500 ? Highway robbery!!! I did mine in one weekend taking my time and had around 600 in parts. Got everything from Brian Tooley racing.
    "Luminous beings are we not this crude matter." Yoda

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jb882 View Post
    Mine were all way pre covid. A 2014 and a 2018 that did it twice....

I would say its real common but i don't have the exact numbers from GM. What i can tell you is it happened to my brothers 2008 1500, my sisters 2019 Escalade and her husbands 2011 1500 as well as his 2021 1500. A buddy of mine that has a 2012 Avalanche had had it happen twice, another buddy that has a 2010 sierra 1500 has had it happen and every person in my old club that has or had a 2007+ GM has had it happen to them and thats like 10 or 12 guys. My mechanic that installed the delete kit in the 2014 has at least 4 or 5 vehicles on his lot at any given time, mostly out of warranty newer Suburbans and Tahoes that have lifter failures. He is the GM guy in my old town and he fixes them a lot. According to him GM DOD failures are putting his twins thru college....
    You mentioned a delete kit.....is there a cam/lifter settup that you can swap in and do away with the AFM style lifters? What about aftermarket performance cam and lifters? It would seem to me doing that (if possible) and doing the prgrammer would make the issue go away for good.

Quote Originally Posted by rednecktech View Post
    You mentioned a delete kit.....is there a cam/lifter settup that you can swap in and do away with the AFM style lifters? What about aftermarket performance cam and lifters? It would seem to me doing that (if possible) and doing the prgrammer would make the issue go away for good.
    Brian Tooley Racing. You will need custom ecm tuning tho.

https://briantooleyracing.com/dod-af...onversion.html

I know that if my dad's 6.2 eats it there will be a tune and a BTR cam in it and probably some long tubes lol
    2019 BassCat Lynx 2019 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke - 2B573410
    "Reality Is Often Disappointing."

8. Member
    Isn’t the 6.2 used in the Camaro and Vette. Are these having the same lifter problems?

Quote Originally Posted by yatesville88fan View Post
    Isn’t the 6.2 used in the Camaro and Vette. Are these having the same lifter problems?
    Not the same.

10. Member
    [QUOTE=Ckfishin;13122901]Brian Tooley Racing. You will need custom ecm tuning tho.

https://briantooleyracing.com/dod-af...onversion.html

Yes, that's what I'm talkin about. Surprised more of that is not done. My late FIL, as crazy as he was (he had a brilliant engineering mind), always told me If something doesn't work right or the way you want it to, change it. I don't own a GM product...well, other than my old 76 4x4, but my youngest son owns two, a 2015 1500 and a 22 Tahoe, both with the 5.3. That's good info, thanks.

Yes, that's what I'm talkin about. Surprised more of that is not done. My late FIL, as crazy as he was (he had a brilliant engineering mind), always told me If something doesn't work right or the way you want it to, change it. I don't own a GM product...well, other than my old 76 4x4, but my youngest son owns two, a 2015 1500 and a 22 Tahoe, both with the 5.3. That's good info, thanks.

IMO if you own a DoD GM truck out of warranty just buy the kit and have it taken out the truck will run much better and you will be much happier.

BTR actually started making kits for the dodge guys now too since its becoming an issue.

12. Member
    Go back a couple pages in this thread and i put i a link in to the company i got mine from.

Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    Do this. Call gm and open a case. Usually will get it covered or a 50-50 split
    I called GM when my mechanic diagnosed this problem and opened a case. Vehicle is out of warranty. They said they might help after vehicle was diagnosed at GM service center. I called GM after service center showed me $7,500.00 bill to repair. They offered 50/50 on bill. Told them I would think about it. Called law firm of Berger Mantague who has class action lifter suit against GM. If I accept partial payment from GM- does this exclude me from future class action to make me whole?? Reply was NO. Current lifter failure rate on these vehicles exceeds 4%. They will replace the defective lifters with defective lifters. Ticking time bomb. Will accept GM's 50/50 offer tomorrow. Will roll this $80K GM POS down the road to Ford and drive away a new Ford F 150. Never another GM product in my garage!

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by electritek View Post
    I called GM when my mechanic diagnosed this problem and opened a case. Vehicle is out of warranty. They said they might help after vehicle was diagnosed at GM service center. I called GM after service center showed me $7,500.00 bill to repair. They offered 50/50 on bill. Told them I would think about it. Called law firm of Berger Mantague who has class action lifter suit against GM. If I accept partial payment from GM- does this exclude me from future class action to make me whole?? Reply was NO. Current lifter failure rate on these vehicles exceeds 4%. They will replace the defective lifters with defective lifters. Ticking time bomb. Will accept GM's 50/50 offer tomorrow. Will roll this $80K GM POS down the road to Ford and drive away a new Ford F 150. Never another GM product in my garage!
    It's a roll of the dice with Ford too...

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lx545 View Post
    It's a roll of the dice with Ford too...
    Not nearly as big of a roll.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nightbasser View Post
    $7500 ? Highway robbery!!! I did mine in one weekend taking my time and had around 600 in parts. Got everything from Brian Tooley racing.
    You’re obviously knowledgeable and have proper tools if you did this job. Most average people will not be able to.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

17. Member
    When did they start the AMF on the 6.2L motors?? I have a 62L in my 2012 GMC 1500 Sierra with 54K miles, which I don't think it doesn't deactivate anything at any time getting around 16 mpg.

Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    When did they start the AMF on the 6.2L motors?? I have a 62L in my 2012 GMC 1500 Sierra with 54K miles, which I don't think it doesn't deactivate anything at any time getting around 16 mpg.
    L94 and L99 6.2 engines should have AFM.

I Think The trucks had L9H tho.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ckfishin View Post
    L94 and L99 6.2 engines should have AFM.

I Think The trucks had L9H tho.
    I don't know the actual RPO code but it is the 6.2L Flex fuel

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted-LA View Post
    From what I understand, using a tuner or a disabler such as the Range Technology AFM Disabler won't "solve" the problem but reduces the chance of lifter failure.
    You still have the same crappy GM parts in the motor that can fail.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast