Tournament fisherman

Am I only one that has noticed a serious drop off in common “on the water” etiquette from the tournament guys? One of the reasons I cut way back on saltwater fishing is because of all the folks that act like they own the water but lately it seems the tournament fisherman are getting just as bad. I’m talking about local club tournament guys not big named sponsored guys. Obviously, it’s not all of them so don’t take this as bashing tournament fisherman in general, but I am curious what others have seen lately.

The only problem I have had over the last several years happened a few months ago. I was fishing an off shore brush pile that was probably 150 yards from the shoreline. I noticed a guy in a skeeter fishing the shore line straight in from where I was fishing. I eventually caught a good fish and noticed that the guy and his partner saw me catch that fish. By the time I released the fish, fixed my worm and made a cast he was right beside me casting in the same direction I was casting. I absolutely couldn’t believe it. I didn’t say anything and he only stayed a few minutes. Other than that issue I have had no other problems with other fishermen.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by L&B200M View Post
    Am I only one that has noticed a serious drop off in common “on the water” etiquette from the tournament guys? One of the reasons I cut way back on saltwater fishing is because of all the folks that act like they own the water but lately it seems the tournament fisherman are getting just as bad. I’m talking about local club tournament guys not big named sponsored guys. Obviously, it’s not all of them so don’t take this as bashing tournament fisherman in general, but I am curious what others have seen lately.
    Ha! You couldn't have mirrored my thoughts any better. I left the saltwater for the same reason and started doing the captain thing for my son in the junior/highschool tournaments and there were several instances that were worse than anything I experienced on the saltwater. I don't see it as much in the local tournaments we fish, but those high school tournaments could get pretty out of hand.

4. Member
    I think a major contributor is the amount of tournaments on our lakes. Sunday through Saturday some sort of tournament. Boats see you off shore they casually idle close enough to drop a waypoint so they can fish it the next tournament. Had some high school kids with I assume their dad idle within 50 yards earlier this year on the Winter Haven chain the weekend before a big tournament.

5. Banned
    You know what sucks about fishing? Other fishermen. The worst ones at it are on the Potomac river

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fhris View Post
    I think a major contributor is the amount of tournaments on our lakes. Sunday through Saturday some sort of tournament. Boats see you off shore they casually idle close enough to drop a waypoint so they can fish it the next tournament. Had some high school kids with I assume their dad idle within 50 yards earlier this year on the Winter Haven chain the weekend before a big tournament.

You make a good point. Dad's teaching their High School kids zero etiquette or respect for others, just like the pros on TV. Setting the perfect example.

I've had these "Father Figures" literally pull in on plane and direct the kids to start throwing right in front of us. One "Father Figure" was running on plane between docks on the SJR north end during last HS event.

The pattern they seem to run is to look for a boat, run up tight and see what happens. They appear to think you should give them the right of way, because as you know, its for the kids.

However, rather than giving them the right of way, I tend to give them them a few opportunities for closer inspection of my carolina rig.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM64 View Post
    You make a good point. Dad's teaching their High School kids zero etiquette or respect for others, just like the pros on TV. Setting the perfect example.

I've had these "Father Figures" literally pull in on plane and direct the kids to start throwing right in front of us. One "Father Figure" was running on plane between docks on the SJR north end during last HS event.

The pattern they seem to run is to look for a boat, run up tight and see what happens. They appear to think you should give them the right of way, because as you know, its for the kids.

However, rather than giving them the right of way, I tend to give them them a few opportunities for closer inspection of my carolina rig.
    Love to see the kids out there after it but I have seen the “I am in a tournament so these are my fish” during one of the kids tournaments as well.
    In general the freshwater fisherman I run into are pretty good folks but the etiquette of some is pretty sorry.

8. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    There's not many tourneys around where I fish, but bass boats never did bother me. Those damn pontoons though? Better watch out if you see one of them headin your way. I think they each have 1 spot they've ever caught a fish and it don't matter if you're sitting right on top of it, they're coming in hot with anchor in hand. lol

9. Member
    I have boat and fish some local tournaments, but fish the BFL's as a CO. I cannot believe what some of these boaters do, and they think they are in the right. Yelling, cutting people off running through a canal no wider than a single boat, just to fish the back of said canal. Saying shit to the other guy the whole time. Going 70 not letting off the throttle till they hit the No Wake sign, just to blow pass a bunch of people, casting right in front of other boats, Keep livewells with 3" of water to conserve battery for livescope, breaking rods in half over losing 3 lb'ers. It's insane, glad I'm not an *******.

Hell, earlier this year my boater LEFT at like noon because he couldn't get a bite and I was wearing him out on the back of the boat. Dude faked a phone call for an emergency and left, but had no issue trying to chat about BS and hang out for 30 minutes when we got the boat out of the water before leaving.
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton420 View Post
    I have boat and fish some local tournaments, but fish the BFL's as a CO. I cannot believe what some of these boaters do, and they think they are in the right. Yelling, cutting people off running through a canal no wider than a single boat, just to fish the back of said canal. Saying shit to the other guy the whole time. Going 70 not letting off the throttle till they hit the No Wake sign, just to blow pass a bunch of people, casting right in front of other boats, Keep livewells with 3" of water to conserve battery for livescope, breaking rods in half over losing 3 lb'ers. It's insane, glad I'm not an *******.

Hell, earlier this year my boater LEFT at like noon because he couldn't get a bite and I was wearing him out on the back of the boat. Dude faked a phone call for an emergency and left, but had no issue trying to chat about BS and hang out for 30 minutes when we got the boat out of the water before leaving.
    it definitely seems to be getting worse! I’ve even had at issues at the ramp with a couple local tournaments acting like they own the ramp and surrounding areas others use to park their boats and hogging the docks. I fish a lot with an 80 year old that needs to use the dock and they won’t move out of the way. On the water they justify their crappy etiquette with “I’m fishing a tournament”, like the time energy and money others spend to go doesn’t matter. Fortunately, most of the guys are good folks but the few are really aggravating

11. Member
    IMHO, Overall there is a lack of common decency from fishermen, and pleasure boaters, pontoon, wake board, and jet skis��.