Ryan_8

Garmin Force Latch

A friend installed the force on his boat and used it for the first time this week. Got in rough water and the latch didn't hold and the motor deployed in the water. When it stows it the latch is loose. Has anyone had this problem or know how to tighten it to prevent it happening in the future. Garmin's solution is to use the strap when moving which is pain.

I have not had that issue and I have been in rough water on Lake of the Ozarks without the strap. I would double check the install to make sure everything is correct.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

If he mounted the foot that holds the motor up when stowed then it’s probably set too high. I had that issue with mine until I adjusted it down so the latch fully locks in place. It should click into place and you should hear it.

2010 Nitro Z7
    Mercury Optimax 150
    Garmin 106SV(bow), 106SV(console)
    Cayuta Creek Outdoors
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw3...UvSxaeLpzFyYHA

4. Member
    I always use my strap if there is a question. It might take an extra minute to strap and unstrap. If I'm that pressed for time, I need to plan better.

Thats a huge latch that is held in with a spring. Once its latched its not coming out without the cord being pulled. I suspect the TM was not mounted correctly.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

6. Member
    Agree with others, the bounce buster must be interfering with the latch closure. Improper install. My Force has never had an issue at all.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

7. Ryan_8
    Update. The bounce buster was not interfering when stowing. When stowing the the latch would not latch all the way. Lightly wiggling it up and down it would then fully latch. The more use on it the better it is seems to get.

8. Member
    Garmin put out a service kit for older units, not sure if this is the issue but I would call them and ask if your unit has the updated latch.
    Risen From The Ashes!!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rschweissguth View Post
    A friend installed the force on his boat and used it for the first time this week. Got in rough water and the latch didn't hold and the motor deployed in the water. When it stows it the latch is loose. Has anyone had this problem or know how to tighten it to prevent it happening in the future. Garmin's solution is to use the strap when moving which is pain.
    I never use the strap once I start fishing with the Force and I am commonly in rough water. It shouldn't move, something is wrong.