Thread: PDP problem?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PDP problem?

E200FPLSRB
    04 200 DI

Think Im having issues with the pdp. Motor started fine all morning. 5 or so restarts while fishing then I turn the key on and let the system check do its thing like always but I notice the fuel pump runs much longer than usual. Attempt to fire it up and nothing. Let go of key and system check beeps and cycles the lights like normal except I didnt turn key to off I left it in run position anf fuel pump starts running again for a bit. I went through process again with same result and kept trying to start and every few tries the starter would engage for a split second then nothing did this for a while then it would turn over for a few seconds and quit and this kept on for about 20 attempts then would turn over for longer and longer for another 20 or so trys and try and fire a few times. Finally got her to start and it was rough for 30 seconds and smoothed out and got me back to the ramp thankfully. Every failed attempt to start the check lights ran through its check process without turning key to off like it was losing power and thats what had me thinking PDP

Im thinking maybe the cold joints in pdp showing up now. I would like to know what you folks think.

Was looking at how to remove it and it looks like Ive got to unbolt the oil pump and injector and capacitor as they are all attatched to the same bracket. Messing with the oil system makes me nervous but I think its my only option.

Thank you all for your continued help and support on this great forum
    Have a great day!
    2004 ChampioN 188 Elite
    2004 Evinrude 200 DI

It sounds more like a key switch issue to me, the system check cycling after you release the key from the start position tell me you lost power in the start position. it could also be a problem with the start solenoid! As for the removal of the PDP it can be removed without removing any other item. If I remember correctly there are 1 or 2 screws that hold the cover in place, remove the cover which will expose the 3 screws that hold the PDP in place.
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

3. Member
    New key switch less than 2 years ago allthough I know that means nothing with parts anymore. Ive ordered a new solenoid and will get it installed asap.

I dont see any bolts or screws in the pdp after removing the cover. Only small screws on backside holding it to the bracket but I cant get to any of them except maybe one. Unless Im missing them totally
    2004 ChampioN 188 Elite
    2004 Evinrude 200 DI

4. Member
    Pic with cover off
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2004 ChampioN 188 Elite
    2004 Evinrude 200 DI

It's been over 12 years since I have worked one and cain't remember exactly how I removed it. You may have to do as you mentioned and remove the screws from the bracket so you can access the back of it.
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

6. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    OP is right about the screws being on backside....just be careful with the oil lines and double check they are on before reassembling.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    OP is right about the screws being on backside....just be careful with the oil lines and double check they are on before reassembling.
    So am I going to have to remove the oil lines and pump or will I be able to just pull bolts from bracket and get to screws on backside of pdp? Really dont want to mess with oil system if not needed. I dont need to cause any more issues with this motor
    2004 ChampioN 188 Elite
    2004 Evinrude 200 DI

8. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    No sir, just don't pull on it too hard and pull the small lines off the block.....A stubby phillips head screwdriver works.....

9. Member
    Thank you guys for the help and advise. I will report back my progress
    2004 ChampioN 188 Elite
    2004 Evinrude 200 DI

10. Member
    Little update on this issue. Ive figured out that if I trim motor up until it gets into the tilt range it fires up. I did that in the yard and looked for pinched wires but did not find anything. Cut the rigging tube down the center and went through all the wires and found no kinks or chaffed wires. I did not cut into the main harness bundle of wires though. Had the boat out yesterday and did not have a no start.

I zip tied the tube back together for now. I figure if/when the problem happens again I can get into it and start messing with the wires and see if I can pinpoint an issue.

I did notice when trimming up the shit interupt switch moves quite a bit. Could that cause a no crank problem?
    2004 ChampioN 188 Elite
    2004 Evinrude 200 DI

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    No, that only effects three cylinders when activated.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    No, that only effects three cylinders when activated.
    Ahhh
    Thanks. The saga continues
    Haha
    2004 ChampioN 188 Elite
    2004 Evinrude 200 DI

13. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    I have found that anytime I had a no start situation with the DFI's ....both 03 models....the PDP was the suspect....This can be fixed by DIY or DFI Technologies.... A search on here can be found....most by Danrude of how to DYI....

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    I have found that anytime I had a no start situation with the DFI's ....both 03 models....the PDP was the suspect....This can be fixed by DIY or DFI Technologies.... A search on here can be found....most by Danrude of how to DYI....
    DANG!
    That was not what I wanted to hear. Haha
    Im paranoid of messing with the oiling system at all to get the PDP removed
    2004 ChampioN 188 Elite
    2004 Evinrude 200 DI

15. Member
    So I took the motor cover off this wknd when she wouldnt crank and could then hear the solenoid click when key turned to start. Jumped solenoid and fired right up. Put the solenoid on when home and went back out the next day and fired everytime.
    I feel kinda dumb for not putting new solenoid on right away but was so entrenched with my fuel issue I forgot. Oh well lesson learned and think Im all good to go now.

Thanks again everyone for all the advice and suggestions. What a great forum!
    2004 ChampioN 188 Elite
    2004 Evinrude 200 DI

16. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Thanks for sharing the fix.

Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

18. Member
    Well my issue is back.....
    Made a run down the lake about 15 miles and fished for a few hours went to fire up and nothing with the key but solenoid is clicking. Brand new solenoid in november. I kept my jumper wire in the boat and jumped solenoid but motor would just spin. Did this a few time and no fire. Put my noco jumper box on the battery and still nothing with key but jumped solenoid and she fired right up. I know these motors need to spin up to a certain rpm to fire so now Im thinking battery going south on me but it tested good with a load tester. Batt is 4 years old group 31 duracell.
    So I have a new spare solenoid and installed it and headed back to the lake and same issue. Boat fired right up at the ramp but after my run and a few hours fishing I get nothing from the key jumping solenoid and it fires right up.
    Guess I will replace the key switch then most likely send the pdp in to DFI if that dont solve my problem.

Anything else I should try and or test before the pdp comes off? Any and all suggestions welcome.
    2004 ChampioN 188 Elite
    2004 Evinrude 200 DI

19. Member
    Sounds like low current to me ...

I'd resistance check your existing battery cables as I've seen them go south and I've replace many on a few boats. Otherwise, what the cranking amps of the Duracell G31? FWIW ... and you might not want to hear it ... but those of us with older DFIs with cranking issues 'upgraded' to the twin 1000 CA fleet batteires that NAPA sells ... and in my case, all starting issues went away.

I am also curious if you could get a spare/other key switch to try. You don't by change have a TON of keys (weight) hanging off the key ring of your ignition switch do you? I've seen that cause a grounding issue intnernal to the switch that prevented 'fire'.
    "Life's too short for an ugly boat!"
    1985 totally refurbished Pro-Line 21A Cuddy - 175hp Evinrude FFI

20. Member
    The battery is only 700CCA but the manual says 650 minimum. I only have a plastic whistle and a float on the key ring. I ordered a new switch anyway to try. I will test the battery cables and probably get a new battery with 1000+ CCA.
    Thanks for the advice
    2004 ChampioN 188 Elite
    2004 Evinrude 200 DI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast