Thread: PDP problem?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Striperaddict View Post
    The battery is only 700CCA but the manual says 650 minimum. I only have a plastic whistle and a float on the key ring. I ordered a new switch anyway to try. I will test the battery cables and probably get a new battery with 1000+ CCA.
    Thanks for the advice
    It is a WELL KNOWN secret here - if that makes any sense [it doesn't ... ] - that those DFIs need cranking amps to reliably start! You can't pay attnetion to the manual.

I'd still resistance check your cables, heck ... I've even seen a battery switch go bad, have replaced one of them too.
    "Life's too short for an ugly boat!"
    1985 totally refurbished Pro-Line 21A Cuddy - 175hp Evinrude FFI

2. Member
    So I bought and installed the group 31 X2 power agm battery. Just tried bumping the starter and it engaged everytime. About 7 tries. Im not able to get out on the water this weekend but should go next week. Got the new key switch in the boat to swap out if I have the issue again. Just posting an update

Thanks again for everyones help
    2004 ChampioN 188 Elite
    2004 Evinrude 200 DI

3. Member
    So I bought and installed the group 31 X2 power agm battery. Just tried bumping the starter and it engaged everytime. About 7 tries. Im not able to get out on the water this weekend but should go next week. Got the new key switch in the boat to swap out if I have the issue again. Just posting an update

Thanks again for everyones help
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Member
    Well I got out for a few hours yesterday and same problem. She fired right up at the ramp but nothing after. Solenoid is clicking. New key switch and nothing but clicking solenoid. Jump solenoid and she fires right up.

Im leaning to the PDP. If the starter was bad I would think that jumping the solenoid would not work but maybe Im wrong.
    2004 ChampioN 188 Elite
    2004 Evinrude 200 DI

5. Member
    I have an 04 225DI. Had a similar thing happen to me, started fine in the morning and few more times while out and then nothing. Got it home and it fired right up. PDP was the most likely suspect. Sent to DFI, Chet checked it and it was fine. He suggested to replace the relays, I replaced all 4 relays and went 2 yrs without any issues. Late last year, had a no start and ended up being the starter solenoid.
    Here's what I would do:
    Check all the grounds
    Check the safety lanyard and verify the switch is closed.
    Measure voltage at starter solenoid while at rest and while cranking. Voltage shouldn't drop that much.
    Send PDP to Chet at DFI
    Replace the relays

You may have some pitted contacts on some of these.

6. Member
    I spoke with Chet today for about 15 minutes. When I told him I could hear the solenoid clicking he told me it may not be the solenoid but a bad relay. He was correct as I had a friend turn the key while I listened and its the 70amp relay on the wire harness on back of motor near the EMM. Ive got one on the way and will replace and try again.
    I dont know why I waited so long to call and talk to him as they know these motors very well.

Wish me luck again folks. Hopefully this saga ends with the relay. Hahaha
    2004 ChampioN 188 Elite
    2004 Evinrude 200 DI

7. Member
    Thanks Sushi for the advice.
    2004 ChampioN 188 Elite
    2004 Evinrude 200 DI

8. Member
    Thanks Sushi for the advice.

We're all on the same team and as fewer and fewer dealers will touch these motors, we've got to help each other out.
    As I said, I got the same motor. It always ran "good" but never great. I cant tell you how many hours I spent online and face in the manual trying to learn this motor. There is a lot of conflicting info out there along with a lot of different "remedies" which I found some on my own motor. I suspect these remedies were done by a dealer but I have no proof. The problem with these motors is the software in the EMM to meet emissions. I found a retired BPR guy who knows these EMM's and can make adjustment to the coefficients.

9. Member
    Got out yesterday and the new 70 amp relay did the trick so far. Not one issue and the motor fired up faster it seems with that new X2 battery. Hopefully this saga has ended and I get to go a good long while without any problems.
    Thank you again to everyone on the forum for all the great help and advise.
    2004 ChampioN 188 Elite
    2004 Evinrude 200 DI

10. Member
    Got out yesterday and the new 70 amp relay did the trick so far. Not one issue and the motor fired up faster it seems with that new X2 battery. Hopefully this saga has ended and I get to go a good long while without any problems.
    Thank you again to everyone on the forum for all the great help and advise.
    Time will tell but glad to hear everything went well. Keep us posted.

11. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    I'll have to keep that in the back of my mind.....haven't had or heard of that problem before.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12