Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My first EV, well OK Hybrid

OK so it's been a few weeks how do I like it? First let me address it this way. Take all the information that the Pro EV people brag about and only believe 50% of it. Then take all the negative bring up and believe 50% of it. If you get my point its not the next great thing since sliced bread nor is it do nothing can't go on trips power grid is going to fail thing.

So what do I have I guess is important. I bought a holdover 2022 Jeep Grans Cherokee Trailhawk 4xe. It's of course a hybrid.

So what's nice about it? Being a hybrid is gets a little better gas milage. 375 HP 0-60 in a little over 5 seconds is cool. My wife travels round trip 15 miles to work, that is well within the total range of 25 miles for the Jeep. In fact the tank has not moved off that F since we brought it home.

Things I don't like. I'm the guy. I have to plug it in then wake up and unplug it. That doesn't sound all that bad. Except we have no garage and winters coming. They say its best to let it stay plugged in during the winter. That way the remote start works better, I don't know I have to wait and find out first hand. Regardless rain, sun, snow, lightning I'm still the unplug guy. I don't care how easy it is, it's still a pain everyday. Plug it in, then unplug. The other night I'm in bed and my wife rolls over and asked if I plugged her car in. 2AM out in my underwear I'm plugging the darn thing in. Then I'm up at 6AM unplugging the darn thing. Oh yell, the charger that comes with the car take 12 to 14 hours. Plan on spending a lot more money to add a level two along with the required dedicated house wiring. I spent $700 for everything but did my own wiring. Before someone points it out. The charger is actually in your vehicle. The plug and cable just gets the power to the charger. Let's get to charging stations vs home charging. I will put it in very simple terms. $$$$$ vs Home Charging. What? You thought charging stations are free. What a racket. Yes I know still cheaper than gas. At least for now but they will get you someday. I will say for me at a rate of .0975 it's cheap to charge at home. Now if you want your best range, turn off heat AC, radio, ventilated seats and again you get my point.

I still haven't figured out this crazy 56 Mpge thing. The window stickers shows 56 Mpge and my wife translates it to jo matter what it should get 56 MPG. My wife comes home every night and yells at me there is something wrong with her Jeep. Yes is shows 41 MPG. I'm not even going try and explain the "e" to her.

Bottom line do I like it? Well I'm retired and I was looking for a way to have to get out of bed everyday at 6AM. I am really excited about winter brining sub freezing temps,wind, ice and snow.

I do like it. But not for the saving the environment or by passing gas stations. In Hybrid mode and 375 HP I can blow the doors off off 99% of the other vehicles on the road. Yes I have my first two speeding tickets ever to prove it.
    when you see this on the water stop and say hi.

2. Member

3. Member
    Good looking machine!

4. Member
    I like that it has the two blue tow hooks mounted in the front so it can be pulled to a charging port

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by weiglein4 View Post
    I like that it has the two blue tow hooks mounted in the front so it can be pulled to a charging port
    It's a Hybrid. It can run on gas. It has a 19 gallon gas tank.

Nice! I've got a question and I'm not trying to be a tool. Is there a reason she can't plug or unplug it?

7. Member
    She has one arm. Just joking. She loved her L. Pretty plain and simple. She didn't want to trade her Jeep GC L. The condition for the 4xe was that she was not going to deal with the plug. She liked her L and there was no dam plug to deal with. Thus I'm the plug guy.

Nice ride. That works out well that you have a commute that you can do back and forth to work on a single charge. And you have the gas motor for longer trips or it the battery runs down.

I paid $500 to have my home charger installed. I do have a garage so I guess that makes it easier for me. I can’t believe someone would say plugging it in and unplugging. Heck of a lot less of a hassle than filling up at a gas station twice a week. Everyone is different though. You will eventually get used to plugging it in
    Last edited by juice780; 08-05-2023 at 11:48 AM.

10. Member
    I never ever had to put gas in her Jeep. Now I'm up every day at 6AM. To be honest it is a pain. Winter is going to be worse. A garage then maybe not so much. At least I wouldn't be waking through a 4 foot drift to plug and unplug
    . I forgot until I saw your installation cost. She picked the charger spot. She didn't pick a close spot. Did you ever price 150 feet of 8/2 wire. I should have sold copper wire for a living. Lol

11. Member
    If it is a hybrid it should charge on brakes and when the ICE motor is running......no plugging in needed.

12. Member
    Learning all the time. There are different types of hybrids. Some you plug in others you don't. Yes they both will keep a little charge in the battery but it still needs plugged in to fully charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdeepv View Post
    If it is a hybrid it should charge on brakes and when the ICE motor is running......no plugging in needed.
    I don’t think it works that way with every hybrid. The charging when braking doesnt add a whole lot of extra charge.

14. Member
    12-14 hours to charge for a 25 mile battery range, or spend $700.00 to charge quicker, but still 25 mile range?
    Last edited by mikeky; 08-05-2023 at 12:02 PM.

15. Member
    I made the mistake of trading my wife's fav ever car in about 17 years ago. She has not forgotten nor let me forget. Good luck with the new ride.

16. Member
    Yeah that was my reaction too. The Jeep comes with a dimple 25 foot cord with a little box. This is called a level 1 charger. It plugs into any 120 outlet. It takes 12 to 14 hours to charge the 17.5 KW lithium battery. Not a big deal. However if take a few shorts trips over the weekend you need a level 2 charger this is a 240 system. You need a double pull breaker and can either direct wire or wire a receptical. I got a deal on the farmer and paid $250. The rest of the cost was in the 150 feet of wire, I needed a subpage, breaker and I choose to put in an outside disconnect. Note if you have a receptical and plug for the 240 you need a very expensive GFI breaker. Break out another $100 or die from electrocution.

17. Member
    Yep. I'm paying for this one. Lesson number 1. Don't trade your wifes favorite vehicle. Lol the issue for me was the GC L did not have a hitch or towing pkg.

18. Member
    Why do you have to unplug it? I’ve owned three EVs and the only time I unplug is when I’m driving it away.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdeepv View Post
    It’s a PHEV, not a hybrid. Two different technologies. I don’t understand unplugging it though. Congrats on the new ride.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juice780 View Post
    I paid $500 to have my home charger installed. I do have a garage so I guess that makes it easier for me. I can’t believe someone would say plugging it in and unplugging. Heck of a lot less of a hassle than filling up at a gas station twice a week. Everyone is different though. You will eventually get used to plugging it in
    Twice a week? That's a lot of driving. I fill up once every 2 to 3 weeks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast