Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I just came back and the speed limit for the narrows is 35 for pleasure boats or at least that is what a guy I met was told. He was asked if he knew there was a speed limit he said no, the officer told him 35 mph while he wrote him a ticket.

2. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by n8cas View Post
    Good to know - Fishers Landing towards the Lake. It's a 10 mph speed limit through those narrows? How long would it take? If I strike out, which is likely, I wouldn't mind heading up if it didn't take that long at 10 mph. All the tournament guys do it if they are running towards the lake out of Waddington, right?
    Most of the guys making the run from Waddington give themselves 90 mins to make the 70'ish mile run. I don't know how long it would take to run the American Narrows. I've only attempted it once and and that was the last time. You can have whatever speed limit you want - you wont be anywhere close to it in the afternoon of a long weekend. There are a lot of really big boats with really big wakes that can tear your stuff up in a hurry. The Canadian side isnt much better but does have more escape routes for someone who knows the area.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

3. Member
    Good to know - Fishers Landing towards the Lake. It's a 10 mph speed limit through those narrows? How long would it take? If I strike out, which is likely, I wouldn't mind heading up if it didn't take that long at 10 mph. All the tournament guys do it if they are running towards the lake out of Waddington, right?
    You can always trailer down river and put in at Chippewa Bay were you have a public ramp as well as private at Schermerhorn marina or Jacque Cartier park. Remember that the fence line to Canada gets really skinny so get your Canadian license if you don't want to be in a problem with OPP.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    Most of the guys making the run from Waddington give themselves 90 mins to make the 70'ish mile run. I don't know how long it would take to run the American Narrows. I've only attempted it once and and that was the last time. You can have whatever speed limit you want - you wont be anywhere close to it in the afternoon of a long weekend. There are a lot of really big boats with really big wakes that can tear your stuff up in a hurry. The Canadian side isn't much better but does have more escape routes for someone who knows the area.
    You can go the Canadian route, but it a very long way around, since you will be cutting between Tar and Club island to the Canadian channel and going around Wellesley island to Eel Bay and Picton island.
    Now, if you are not familiar with the territory, you can get lost in a hurry and lots of unmarked shoals to deal with.
    In my opinion, for first timer there is plenty to fish between the Cape and Fisher's Landing that can be covered in a week's time. Up at the Cape you have Button and Bayfield bay and Carleton Island/Feather bed shoal.
    In Clayton, you start at the tip of Grindstone with many good fishing all the way to Fisher's Landing/ Grass Point state park.

5. Member
    Most of the guys making the run from Waddington give themselves 90 mins to make the 70'ish mile run. I don't know how long it would take to run the American Narrows. I've only attempted it once and and that was the last time. You can have whatever speed limit you want - you wont be anywhere close to it in the afternoon of a long weekend. There are a lot of really big boats with really big wakes that can tear your stuff up in a hurry. The Canadian side isnt much better but does have more escape routes for someone who knows the area.
    Thanks! I'm hoping to practice on a couple weekdays but the small 20 boat club tournament we are fishing is labor day weekend

6. Member
    lots of great info here,every post is spot on,just make sure you have a decent map card,never being there,if you do want to fish the lake for fun(wich if you do have a good day you should),trailer down,its not a very enjoyable or a cheap ride,from clayton out to the islands and back ,the old hpdi uses about 40-45 gallons, plus a 40 dollar gallon of oil.you would be sick to your stomach if i could tell you the stories of not making it back on time or just not making it back period, from out there,like what was mentioned earlier there is plenty of great fishing around clayton,im sure you will enjoy it

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMMOT View Post
    lots of great info here,every post is spot on,just make sure you have a decent map card,never being there,if you do want to fish the lake for fun(wich if you do have a good day you should),trailer down,its not a very enjoyable or a cheap ride,from clayton out to the islands and back ,the old hpdi uses about 40-45 gallons, plus a 40 dollar gallon of oil.you would be sick to your stomach if i could tell you the stories of not making it back on time or just not making it back period, from out there,like what was mentioned earlier there is plenty of great fishing around clayton,im sure you will enjoy it
    AMMOT

You are right about using fuel and oil when going from Clayton to the Cape, since my '03 Merc 225EFI will drink most of my 44gal and 1+gal of oil cruising 55-65mph at 4500-5000 rpm. Fun ride when calm, but a mother when the wind picks up out of the SW giving you those choppy whitecaps that even my Cobra 201DC get roughed up.

8. Member
    Just got back - thanks for everyone's advice. I had a blast! There's so much water in the river alone to break down. I made it to the cans at Cape Vincent (no lake THIS time) all the way to Chippewa Bay in the 2 and a half days of fishing. Found a magical spot that put out 20 lbs a day, and a few other good spots. Figured out a pattern in case when the spots go cold (the tournament is Labor Day weekend and the Elites are coming to town) and how to at least catch fish (just not best size). I still need to get out to Ontario AND also figure out the shallow smallmouth pattern (I didn't fish shallow at all - not enough time! New PB smallie at 5.82 lbs! Thanks BBC!

9. Member
    Just got back - thanks for everyone's advice. I had a blast! There's so much water in the river alone to break down. I made it to the cans at Cape Vincent (no lake THIS time) all the way to Chippewa Bay in the 2 and a half days of fishing. Found a magical spot that put out 20 lbs a day, and a few other good spots. Figured out a pattern in case when the spots go cold (the tournament is Labor Day weekend and the Elites are coming to town) and how to at least catch fish (just not best size). I still need to get out to Ontario AND also figure out the shallow smallmouth pattern (I didn't fish shallow at all - not enough time! New PB smallie at 5.82 lbs! Thanks BBC!
    Thanks for posting after your questions.
    Many do not return the favor. Good luck on Labor Day.
    Nice fish, Been there many times and still trying to get over 6 lbs. Many just shy of 6.

10. Member
    The more time you spend up at the River, the more you will find out that 5's are more the norm that the exception. I just got back from Clayton, and we had at least 15 in the 4.5-5 in the 3 days of fishing due to the crappy weather with wind and rain.
    IMHO, the lake is over rated once you learn how to fish the River.

11. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Glad you had fun and congrats on going home with a new PB. A 20 lb bag will get you solid 47th place more often than not..... Good luck against your gang on Labor Day.....
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

12. Member
    Is the boat ramp there in mud bay ok to use right now? We are making a trip next week to the St. Lawrence and thought about trying the lake out one day. If not, what are the best boat ramps to use at the mouth of the lake? I've done a lot of looking on google earth and know about cape vincent already. I just wanted to make sure i wasnt missing any! Sorry for hijacking the post lol
    Last edited by tnriverhammer; 08-24-2023 at 12:46 PM.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tnriverhammer View Post
    Is the boat ramp there in mud bay ok to use right now? We are making a trip next week to the St. Lawrence and thought about trying the lake out one day. If not, what are the best boat ramps to use at the mouth of the lake? I've done a lot of looking on google earth and know about cape vincent already. I just wanted to make sure i wasnt missing any! Sorry for hijacking the post lol
    Look up Istmus boat ramp.
    A small ramp with plenty of parking gets you right into the lake.
    About 15 minutes from the Cape Vincent ramp.

14. Member

15. Member
    Glad you had fun and congrats on going home with a new PB. A 20 lb bag will get you solid 47th place more often than not..... Good luck against your gang on Labor Day.....
    Ain't that the truth! I'll take that for a first trip. We're using my buddies boat that doesn't have FFS, so who knows what will happen on Labor Day weekend.

16. Member
    Ain't that the truth! I'll take that for a first trip. We're using my buddies boat that doesn't have FFS, so who knows what will happen on Labor Day weekend.
    With all do respect, I won't put too much importance on Forward Facing Sonar, since you may see them but you still need to catch them. I saw fish on my down imaging/sonar windows, yet they would not take the many options I offered. Storm moved in within the hour of being out there fishing.
    Way too many variables in fishing, and the only constant is you and them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12