Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    chamberlan myQ belt drive with battery backup - its not a hard self install

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorman1 View Post
    I was getting 900.00 per opener for the jackshaft residential opener. I’m not a fan of them but they are really nice.
    I paid $1k for mine installed last month on a 20’ wide door on my barn. When I say its quiet, its super quiet, especially compared to the chain drive on my house garage. I looked at my homes chain drive and assumed I couldnt do the install solo (and didnt want to with my wife hahahahaha)… but seeing my jackshaft install, I shouldnt have paid anyone to install that lol, it was a 20min job solo to anyone with minor mechanical abilities. I should have googled it lol.

the drives

Have 3 Chamberlin's all chain drive. Can you hear them? If your standing under them but not in the house they are not loud at all. Maybe if your garage is under a bed room it might be an issue but not mine. I've installed all of them no biggie.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

5. Member
    I bought and installed a 1/2 HP Chamberlain chain drive this spring for $180 and I'm really impressed with how quiet it is. It makes half the noise of the the Liftmaster next to it. Came with one remote and has the app.

When talking about overall noise, a lot of people ignore the condition of the track and door. Uneven tension, dents/misalignment of the tracks, and failure to lube the rollers can all contribute to a door that binds, bangs and clatters as it goes.
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

6. Member
    I was at a friend's house while back and his motor is mounted on the wall beside the door, you barley could hear it run, question is what kind (BRAND) might it be? I have three 10-foot doors and will be changing out to this kind next time around.

7. Member
    I think Genie is the only company that still makes a screw drive opener. The last ten years I was in business I wouldn’t touch any Genie products, pure junk .
    That's progress for you. I haven't hung a door or a GDO for 25 years.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaymasRodney View Post
    I was at a friend's house while back and his motor is mounted on the wall beside the door, you barley could hear it run, question is what kind (BRAND) might it be? I have three 10-foot doors and will be changing out to this kind next time around.
    Liftmaster mode 98022 residential jack shaft

genie also makes one but I don’t know the model Nr.
    John the Garage Doorman

9. Member
    I got a WIFI Chamberlain brand new from Facebook Market place. It is the best thing I have installed in my house in many years. The app is great. I also use the Amazon key option so they can put my packages in the garage. Yes, I have cameras. But I also like the fact that the door closes automatically after a set time. You never forget to close the door.
    2015 Crestliner VT 19 Pro Edition
    2015 Mercury 150 HP 4 Stroke
    Run mostly the Hudson river and creeks

10. Member
    So when you install a belt drive you can remove the springs ?
    GETFISHED !!!

11. Member
    Belt drive is the way to go...download app and can monitor/open/close door from phone.

Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post

No... The opener just takes the place of your hand.... The weight needs to be carried with springs and balanced at knee-ish height

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

13. Member
    Do you mean the door lift springs/torsion spring. If so, no those all need to stay the drive units just do not use a chain on the drive motor. The drive belt is so much quieter.

Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    2015 Crestliner VT 19 Pro Edition
    2015 Mercury 150 HP 4 Stroke
    Run mostly the Hudson river and creeks

14. Member
    I replaced a Genie chain drive a few years ago with a Chamberlan belt drive. I had to make a new bracket with angle, but I had the angle and it took maybe 45 minutes all together. The belt is much quiter than the chain drives.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

15. Member
    Liftmaster mode 98022 residential jack shaft

genie also makes one but I don’t know the model Nr.
    Move your budget up and get one of these. You will not regret it. Then you can take all of that crap off your ceiling.
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

16. Member
    Ok this is the list of quietest openers

liftmaster model 98022 jack shaft opener is the quietest it a DC motor
    then several Liftmaster belt Drive DC openers there are several models depending on what you want for options
    any chain drive opener. Genie chain drives are much quieter than lift master they only use DC motors. All 9000 series Liftmaster models also use a DC motor.

the bottom line is you can spend a couple hundred for a opener or more then a grand just depends on your budgeting and needs.
    John the Garage Doorman

Quote Originally Posted by CaymasRodney View Post
    These are what I put in: Chamberlain LiftMaster Professional Security+ 3800
    raw.jpg

18. Member
    About any but a Genie, Lift Master or Chamberlain is what a professional installer told me to buy. He only installs what ever brand you buy. My SIL just bought a Genie and did not work out of the box. Returned to Lowe's for a Chamberlain with battery back up and MyQ can use an App to open and close.

19. Member
    Happy with both of my Chamberlain's. The myQ app is cool but not always real time. I get txts that are an hour late of the door opening. Also, they do not offer different notification chimes for multi door uses.
    Example: It would be nice if door 1 had a different notification chime than door 2. Could care less about the door for the wife's car but if the boat bedroom door opens, I want to know now!
    2020 VEXUS 1880 Victor Red
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 I-Link MDI
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer
    10' Talons w/sandwich brackets

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbassman87 View Post
    These are what I put in: Chamberlain LiftMaster Professional Security+ 3800
    raw.jpg
    that’s a older model, Liftmaster has updated three times since that opener came out.
    John the Garage Doorman

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast