Small plug or bolt

image.jpg

This bolt or plug fell into the cowling just above the lower unit. I don’t know what it is or where it came from. Asked a mechanic at a marina and he couldn’t say where or what it is for. Does anyone know what this is? I am worried this may cause more damage. It is a Mercury 250 Pro XS 2021. Anyone have an idea please help me out

jimkrech@gmail.com

2. Member
    aaah four stroke 3 more down the list
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Moving your post to the 4-stroke forum for you.

Please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    looks like the trim ram pin bolt. trim engine up and verify trim pin bolt is still there

5. Member
    That looks like a bolt that keeps one of your water screen filters from coming apart. Right rear side of motor,you pull the bolt,squeeze a blue locking tab and the filter screen lifts out. See if that bolt is missing.

It’s the bolt that holds your trim pin in place, don’t try to run the engine without it. This is located at the underside of the engine at the top of the tilt ram. Tilt engine up and you’ll see where it’s missing from. It needs to be specifically located, red locktite applied and torqued to correct settings. Your best option is a dealer visit
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

7. Member
    It does appear to be the bolt that holds the trim pin in place. My question is how did it get in the cowling?