Thread: Bleeding brakes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bleeding brakes

Is there a easy way to bleed the brakes on 2014 tandem ranger trail trailer.?

Quote Originally Posted by munchie View Post
    You can try gravity bleeding if you’re in no big hurry. Just like any other brake bleeding procedure, make sure and keep the master cylinder full, or you get to start all over! Closest brake to the master cylinder first and on down the line to the most distant brake last.

3. Moderator
    There is a guy on Ebay who sells a one man bleeding system. I bought one a few years back and worked awesome.

4. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by munchie View Post
    I have a vacuum pump and have used it, but I seem to get the best results just using the master cylinder as a pump and push the fluid through the system. Put a funnel in the fill port on top of the MC and fill with fluid.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    I have a vacuum pump and have used it, but I seem to get the best results just using the master cylinder as a pump and push the fluid through the system. Put a funnel in the fill port on top of the MC and fill with fluid.
    i took a 2x4 and had my son press on the master cylinder (moved tonque in and out as in what happens when you stop) and it went well. also let gravity do most of it before hand
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

6. Member
    Easier with 2 people. Most have a slot to pump cylinder under tongue with a screwdriver

Closest brake to the master cylinder first and on down the line to the most distant brake last.

Thought you start at the farthest down the line and work your way up.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gdi View Post

This is what I was taught and have practiced for years.
    Worked as a mechanic and owned a shop years ago.

9. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

10. Member

11. Member
    Shop vac with a 1/4” clear hose taped into the vac hose end. Crack the caliper bleeder and vacuum the fluid thru the lines from the reservoir to the calipers. Keep the reservoir full as you vacuum. On a surge brake unit the actuator must be pulled forward completely before the fluid can be pulled thru.
    Takes me 20 minutes to replace fluid on a boat trailer with brakes on both axles.

12. Member
    If you have an air compressor, this works great.

https://www.harborfreight.com/brake-...der-92924.html

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    Easier with 2 people. Most have a slot to pump cylinder under tongue with a screwdriver
    I saw that

I went to a local auto parts store and bought the manual hand pump. As noted by Dave, two people make the job extremely easy. Hook the hand pump on the appropriate brake bleed and starting pumping out the old fluid. The other person just keeps the fluid reservoir filled.

15. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by gdi View Post
    Closest brake to the master cylinder first and on down the line to the most distant brake last.

If using a vacuum pump. If pushing fluid start at the first caliper.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

16. Moderator
    I've always started with the farthest but makes more sense to start with the closest. (pushing fluid)

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by plbass View Post
    I've always started with the farthest but makes more sense to start with the closest. (pushing fluid)
    autos start at the farthest away and move forward and they are pushing fluid rearward also??
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

18. Moderator

2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

Here’s some food for thought. Where is the air going to show up first? I was suggesting gravity bleeding also. I open the first bleed port and close after I see nothing but fluid with no air. After the first caliper is purged of air, the rest of the air in the line behind the first caliper is going to travel to the next caliper where it can be purged. I usually go through the whole process twice just to make sure that all of the air is purged. I’ve heard the last port first, but it just doesn’t seem logical to me. Now if I was selling brake fluid, I’d say start at the last one!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast