115 hp mercury restarting problem

OG 141941 1995 115 Mercury 2+2 cold starts great, idle’s great runs perfect. If you turn off after warmed up it will crank but will not start. Even if you try to recrank after 30 seconds it will not fire up.
    Ranger R70 Mercury 115

2. Member
    what if you use choke when no start ????
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Plugs appear to not fire on restart. Today I cranked it till I
    Almost killed the starter and if finally restarted and got me to the trailer. Once on trailer I turned off and tried to restart immediately and would not start
    Ranger R70 Mercury 115

4. Member
    test the stator probly gonna need to heat it up ,possibly it or switchbox failing when hot
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Thank you
    Ranger R70 Mercury 115

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Might also try a transom-mounted keyswitch harness (separate harness and switch). Have seen some switches that the kill circuit didn't always open when key turned back on.

Also have seen several rev-limiters on that series go bad. If losing spark still on transom keyswitch harness, completely disconnect/remove rev limiter temporarily. ALL (every single) wires for it (seen some crazy stuff with them). Spark returns: Replace rev limiter.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Thank you for the great suggestions. I was really lost
    Ranger R70 Mercury 115

New stator fixed it. Started so fast it scared me lol.
    Ranger R70 Mercury 115

9. Member