Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BULLET 21XDC - How good does this boat handle rough water?

Anyone out there have a Bullet 21ft. that has taken their boat out on a large body of water and experienced rough water conditions? I live on Lake Murray (SC) and have an opportunity to purchase a 21XDC but I haven't ever been in one on rough water. I know that these boats are typically considered as "GO FAST" boats but not sure how that goes for handling rough water. The boat is not local to me, so I will not be able to test drive it where I will be primarily using it. Any insight would be apperciated.

Thank you
    Thomas

I had a 21 XDC with a 250 and it was very stable at Murray and will handle better than most think, it's a boat that will ride on top of the water and will slice thru heavy waves, mine was setup with a 4 blade 27 HYDROMOTIVE and it held up the nose easy, it's all about the driver and how you attack a rough stretch of water. you will learn to drive a BULLET as this: trim to control speed, foot throttle to turn and power thru. steering wheel to point it. The boat will surprise you once you learn its attitude.
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS

3. Member
    I have a 21XD with a 250 Optimax on it with a 28 Bravo XS. I fish Clarks Hill, Hartwell, Russell and have fished Keowee and Murray. My boat handles rough water very well. I can tell you first hand the only prop to run on a Bullet is a 4 blade for ride and handling.

4. Member
    I've owned 2 21XDC's and now own a 2016 21RDC with a 300XS, I've had it on St Clair when it was rough, very rough, you need to ride in the boat with a good driver, then you'll know why I won't own anything else, best riding boat I've ever been in, if you were closer to me, I'd take you for a ride and show you,,I had it on Mille Lacs in Mn when it was rough too, both of my first two had 250's, still a 21'10" Bullet is the BEST RIDING boat you'll ever ride in, period.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet 250 View Post
    I've owned 2 21XDC's and now own a 2016 21RDC with a 300XS, I've had it on St Clair when it was rough, very rough, you need to ride in the boat with a good driver, then you'll know why I won't own anything else, best riding boat I've ever been in, if you were closer to me, I'd take you for a ride and show you,,I had it on Mille Lacs in Mn when it was rough too, both of my first two had 250's, still a 21'10" Bullet is the BEST RIDING boat you'll ever ride in, period.
    I agree with Todd ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

6. Member
    Put on a hydraulic plate so you can drop the motor in real rough water , now your talking
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

7. Member
    It's very driver dependent. I've been in 21-10's that rode like a flat boat and I've been in some that the ride couldn't be topped.
    SUSHII
    21XRS/SHO

boat is very good at rough water. but you'll have to learn its driving characteristics, been in many and as stated driver of any brand can make it bad, but the 21XDC is a great handling boat
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS

9. Member
    I’m probably the last guy that should be responding to this question, simply because I haven’t had my 21XDC very long. But, I can tell you this, I’m very surprised at how well it rides. I had reservations about buying one because of all the comments about how light they are they don’t ride good. Well, that was full of crap. I had a Triton before my Bullet. The bullet rides better. As stated above I don’t have much experience with this boat, so I had a Buddy drive it for me, just to kinda show me the do’s/don’t of the boat. Your Cheeks hurt from smiling while riding in a boat that performed as good as he made it ride.

10. Member
    I’ve had mine since 01, I love the ride! Handles rough water very well. I’ve got caught in some nasty weather and never felt it couldn’t handle the conditions.
    2001- 21XDC-300r
    Pete.

11. Member
    I take my boat to Erie on the reg...got me out of 6'ers one time up there. I have a 21xrs, but I believe its the same body style as the one mentioned?
    2014 Bullet 21xrs
    2016 Merc Opti 300hp Serial #1E053115

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    I take my boat to Erie on the reg...got me out of 6'ers one time up there. I have a 21xrs, but I believe its the same body style as the one mentioned?
    From my experience I find that the xrs outperforms the older x model boats in the rough stuff! Only way I'd swap from an xrs is to go to an xst
    SUSHII
    21XRS/SHO

13. Member
    Nice!
    2014 Bullet 21xrs
    2016 Merc Opti 300hp Serial #1E053115

I live at Lake Murray as well. I owned a 2008 21XRD from 08-18 , then a 2018 22SF until May 2022. Lake Murray swallows bass boats when the big winds and storms come. And im SURE you know how fast they can move in. Sure, my Bullets kept me safe and would handle the big stuff, however, you WILL be soaked!!! Also, spend much time beating those waves and you will to fix some electrical problems as well. Things always were getting beat loose on both of my boats. I loved both of them and the 22SF definitely kept me drier, being wider and a center console. I am MUCH happier now that i have a CC flats boat with a performance hull. The 22SF did a decent job as a hybrid but a full blown flats boat is heavier and more stable. It handles Murray way better than any other bass boat ive owned. I gave up 7-8 mph but I can actually run the big water faster when its rough.
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    Kenny Hollingsworth<<<<<<<<<MY NAME!
    828 674 6752
    Hendersonville NC<<<<MY LOCATION!!

15. Member
    I've NEVER BEEN SOAKED in my Bullet, EVER!!! I've been on St Clair when it was rough, never had any issues, been on other big bodies of water when it's bad, I've never had any issues with getting wet when driving a Bullet, period

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet 250 View Post
    I've NEVER BEEN SOAKED in my Bullet, EVER!!! I've been on St Clair when it was rough, never had any issues, been on other big bodies of water when it's bad, I've never had any issues with getting wet when driving a Bullet, period
    That seems very unlikely. I have been to Erie 4 times with a Bullet, the Mississippi river at Venice twice , Santee many times and I live on Lake Murray. Serious waves during high winds and you WILL be wet. No way around it. Actually, i have never been in any BASS BOAT that this wasnt the case. I have owned a Skeeter, Pro Craft, multiple Blazers , 2 Bullets and have fished tournaments in Phoenix, Stratus, Rangers and Nitros. Been wet in ALL of them at one time or another.
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    Kenny Hollingsworth<<<<<<<<<MY NAME!
    828 674 6752
    Hendersonville NC<<<<MY LOCATION!!

17. Member
    Well, I've owned several different brands also, still haven't got wet in any Bullet I've owned, my Triton, yes

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SUSHII View Post
    From my experience I find that the xrs outperforms the older x model boats in the rough stuff! Only way I'd swap from an xrs is to go to an xst
    I agree , the biggest improvement is the seats , also weight being a little more forward , that being said all the 21'10 hulls have a great ride.
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KHNC View Post
    That seems very unlikely. I have been to Erie 4 times with a Bullet, the Mississippi river at Venice twice , Santee many times and I live on Lake Murray. Serious waves during high winds and you WILL be wet. No way around it. Actually, i have never been in any BASS BOAT that this wasnt the case. I have owned a Skeeter, Pro Craft, multiple Blazers , 2 Bullets and have fished tournaments in Phoenix, Stratus, Rangers and Nitros. Been wet in ALL of them at one time or another.
    I agree, no matter what boat brand, sooner or later there is a point that a 20-22' boat just can't keep from getting wet under extreme conditions. I currently have a 21SDC and is the second Bullet I've owned. I've owned many other brands, all were good boats, but i prefer the Bullet because it does have a soft ride in rough water and the performance is much better than the previous brands I've owned. I've been running bass boats and fishing tournaments all over the country for 39 years. Bullet boats has always been talked down because no one believes that a boat can be light, fast and ride good too, guess its how they make themselves feel better about getting passed on the lake.

That said, a Bullet is a drivers boat, it does exactly what the driver tells it to do. My Son races 200mph super bikes, the average person would kill them self first time out, that doesnt mean its a bad or unsafe bike, just in un-skilled hands can be dangerous. Bullet are similar in that a person has to become familiar with the attitude of the boat and respect what the boat is capable of doing, all Bullet are a little different in what they want (as mentioned here mainly due to weight and balance).

I would recommend a 21' Bullet to anyone and feel confident they will be very surprised by the ride and performance.

Quote Originally Posted by av View Post
    I agree , the biggest improvement is the seats , also weight being a little more forward , that being said all the 21'10 hulls have a great ride.
    I agree with the seats as far as comfort in the newer Bullets, but I just can’t get past the looks of the older racing bucket style seats. I love them. Mine are very comfortable even when it’s rough, but I wish they had just a little more spring/padding.
    Last edited by WVBullet; 07-28-2023 at 01:33 PM.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast